Vegetarian/ not enough cal.

Options
ive been a vegetarian for a decade now. My goal is to put on muscle and eventually gain 10 lbs. im a female 5'3 and 107. I'm super active I take a yoga class 3-4 times a week and I do cardio plus weight training 5-6 times a week. I want to make sure I make my calorie goal since I am super active I don't want to loose and weight. I'm having a hard time making my calorie goal. I feel like I'm eating a lot! I'm full after every meal and I'm snacking in between. I even have a breakfast shake to help with the calories. I'm assuming it's because my fake meat is less calories than real meat. What can I add to my diet to help me meet my calorie goal? I'm sometimes need 600 more calories to reach my goal

Replies

• 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    nut butters, avocados, chocolate, ice cream, juice, milk anything liquid with calories really
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Nuts and cheese are nice high calorie ways to snack for very little volume. Oatmeal is good, too. You can also splurge and eat junk if you're just trying to prevent losing weight.
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Use olive oil to cook with and dress salads, eat nut butters and nuts & seeds in general, full fat dairy, avocados etc. It will soon add up
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Fats! Avocado. Edamame. Dressings made with olive oil. Dip your bread in to olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Nuts and nut butters.

I made a vegetarian recipe last night (Eggplant Tofu Bake) and I noted that it snuck in protein wherever it could, including wheat germ in the bread crumbs. Ingenious.
  • aeques85_12b
    aeques85_12b Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Im curious, do you track your calories burned? How much calories do you burn through a day?
  • parasshelawala
    parasshelawala Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    All of the above plus protein powder because it will help you build muscle and they tend to pack a lot of calories.
  • JasonH_DFW
    JasonH_DFW Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    lbulahan87 wrote: »
    What can I add to my diet to help me meet my calorie goal? I'm sometimes need 600 more calories to reach my goal

Olive oil, avocados, raw nuts, stay away from soy/edamame/quinoa. Linked to leaky gut syndrome.

• Ainesilver
    Ainesilver Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Nuts and seeds, healthy oils, dried fruit, and dairy.
  • lbulahan87
    Options
    Im curious, do you track your calories burned? How much calories do you burn through a day?

Ya yoga class I burn around 120 and regular cardio l burn around 180. I don't really keep track with the weight exercises I do
  • lbulahan87
    Options
    Thanks for everyone's fast response! I do eat an avocado a day. I'll add on everyone else's advice as well
  • SlinkySpencer
    SlinkySpencer Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    What about an extra serving of beans/hummus/split pea soup? So that way you get your calories and the protein you need for your muscles. Or maybe you could add extra calories to foods you already eat? Like avocado in your smoothies or flax seeds/chia seeds/coconut oil/walnuts in your oatmeal. Peanut butter?

Granted, these are suggestions coming from someone who has no problem eating way too many calories, heehee.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    @jhitt1975, as far as I can tell, no specific foods are linked to leaky gut syndrome. Sensitivities would be highly individual. A vegetarian is already self-limiting in their food choices. Why eliminate even more?

https://www.navs-online.org/nutrition/healthissues/foodsensitive.php
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    All of the above plus protein powder because it will help you build muscle and they tend to pack a lot of calories.

no.

protein is helpful yes- but for gaining weight carbs are more valuable and more important.

OP- don't worry about where your food comes from- other than your own morals/ethics and "not the trash"... in order to gain you have to be in a calorie surplus.

Anything high calorie will do the trick- ice cream- pizza- your favorite candy bars- nuts- avacados- more oils.

Beers.
    Bagels
    Gummy Bears.

ALL.THE.THINGS.

• aeques85_12b
    aeques85_12b Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    lbulahan87 wrote: »

Ya yoga class I burn around 120 and regular cardio l burn around 180. I don't really keep track with the weight exercises I do

Im vegetarian as well, and am trying to do the exact opposite. Maybe where your having problems I need to take as advice.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I am also a vegetarian and have NO issues hitting my calorie goal.

Some things i like that are pretty high in calories-

Baked potatoes with butter, cheese, sour cream
    4 Cheese lasagna
    Huevos Rancheros with cheese
    Black bean tacos with cheese, sour cream, and guacamole
    add butter to things
    salads with vineagrette (olive oil and balsamic)
    PB&J
    Peanut butter and apples
    Hummus with pita chips
    ice cream
    Bagels toasted with butter
    Bread toasted with butter
    veggie burgers with cheese and fries
    vegetarian chili frito pie
    refried bean and cheese tacos
    chips and queso
    cheese fries with ranch

I could go on. But most of the ideas involve adding fat through cheese, butter, olive oil, peanut butter, avocado, etc.