wine anyone?

Options
So I wanted to start drinking wine. Can anyone offer some suggestions? I wouldn't even know where to start trying. But I hate beer and am a total girly girl drinker (fruity cocktails). But wine interests me. It's something I can see myself having after the kids go to bed and I need a little relaxation!

Replies

• foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Moscato - nice and fruity. I don't really like wine but I'll drink this one.
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I love wine! For me, I like reds, the dryer the better. Maybe start with a Cabernet or Shiraz? The Rosemount is a pretty decent, widely available bottle.
  • sarahanne40
    sarahanne40 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    A sweet rose like White Zinfidel is nice :)
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    I'm the same as you, non-beer drinker and a fruity drink person. I :heart: Lambrusco. It's pretty sweet and not dry, fairly cheap too. :smile:

I like the white zinfandels too usually.
  • zoebea33
    zoebea33 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Red wine definately mmmm
  • bellyto5k
    bellyto5k Posts: 26
    Options
    A Reisling is sweet and good for beginners!! haha! I love Yellow Tail Pinot Grigio, but watch how many glasses because the calories add up fast!!! :)
  • kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    My favorite comes from a local winery, and is only available within about 20 miles of my house.
    I like sweet white wines.....can't hardly drink a dry red one. :laugh:
    Kaye
  • RILEYRED
    RILEYRED Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    SEMI'SWEET, IF YOU ARE JUST STARTING. ARBOR MIST IS GOOD, AND INEXPENSIVE!!:drinker: RED
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    I like pinot gris. It's lite, white, and very yummy cold. :)
  • Aries03
    Aries03 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    MMMmmm white Zinfandel Rose :drinker:
  • milehighcritic
    Options
    Can't go wrong with a nice Pinot Noir.
  • shararenee1
    shararenee1 Posts: 12
    Options
    Riesling! It's yummy!!!!!
  • Better_Balance_2011
    Better_Balance_2011 Posts: 3,711 Member
    Options
    In the summer I tend to want white so I drink sauvignon blanc, particularly from New Zealand. It is very crisp and citrucy.

For reds I like a pinot noir. It is a light red, easy to drink.

If you like sweet wines, a riesling is good.

Remember it doesn't have to be espensive to be good. Most bottle I buy are $10 and less.

I am a wine snob so I can not recomend moscato or white zinfindel. No offense.... :wink:
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I love red wine.......

but........

If you are fruity girly drink drinker, start with the sweeter whites before jumping into the full body reds. Mascato or Reislings or Lambruscos. Go to the wine store and tell them what you just told us, they'll be happy to help you!!

I started drinking wine about 5 years ago........I started with a very sweet Riesling. Now, I only drink reds - Merlot, Malbec, Shiraz -yum!! But, I think this might be too dry for you right now.
  • piezoeyjune
    piezoeyjune Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Hi. I love wine. :love: My favorite is Au Bon Climat. They are in CA. They have a chardonnay that is spectacular (and I usually hate whites). Their pinot noir is the best Ive ever had. The bottles usually run about $30 which is too much for some people but I would rather spend a bit more on excellent wine than $2 on "two buck chuck" (which is swill and vinegar... ICK). Ive had both and I swear one is definitely better than the other. Here's a link http://www.aubonclimat.com/ (available in most stores though).

Good luck. If you need more suggestions (from other regions) let me know... :happy:
  • sarahenagy
    sarahenagy Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    If you like fruity, girly cocktails you probably want to start with white. Try a saviougn blanc or riesling, they are both on the sweeter side. If/when you are ready to try reds start with a medium-bodied merlot or in the pinot noir family. If you go to a higher grade store (something a step up from your regular grocery - not sure where you live, but a Whole Foods, Trader Joes, Andersons, Market District, or a wine specific shop would work) they will have a wine guru that you can talk to.

You might also consider making some sangria, that can be a great way to introduce wine. Don't order at a restaurant, it will be loaded with sugar and calories. But if you make it with just fruit juices and wine and maybe a little brandy it's not bad for you. I make a white sangria in the summer that's just one bottle sweet, white wine, juice of one lemon, one lime, and one orange, some cut up melon and peaches, 2 cups diet ginger ale and it's yummy!
  • ebzimmer
    ebzimmer Posts: 1
    Options
    I suggest starting with white wines. Most people start with white and then acquire a taste for reds. My favorite whites are Rieslings...definitely more sweet, it is actually a dessert wine. Otherwise sauvigon blanc is pretty good, and chardonnay too. I'd say my least favorite is pinot grigio. As far as reds, I love them all. I drink the most of cabarent, malbec, and merlot. Shyrah, shiraz, zinfandel, and pinot noir are also good. I don't taste the dryness in red wines anymore, but malbec is probably a sweeter red wine. As far as price, there are a lot of good $8-10 dollar bottles of wine, you definitely do not need to go for the more expensive stuff, especially being new to wine :) I suggest reading the label and seeing what the wine has in it. I know I like red wines with berries and plums. As far as white wine, I go for citrus ingrediants.

Hope these suggestions help!
  • shander7
    shander7 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I'm a red wine lover<3

If you don't know what type you'd like, I'd suggest seeing if a liquor store around you gives tastings. That way they can tell you about them and you can try them for free to see what you like!
  • DaniJeanine
    DaniJeanine Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    If you live in an area that has local vineyards, I would suggest going to a few wine tastings. There you can learn about the wine, meet the makers, discuss the differences in wine, and try many different types. No one can just suggest a wine for you...it's all about your personal palate. For example, if you like light, fruity tastes then start off with a sweet white wine like a Riesling. Chateau St. Michele is a very good one. If you like a heavier, dryer, more complex taste, try a red wine. If you're not used to red wine I would suggest starting off light like a Merlot. Bogle makes a good Merlot. The more wine you drink, the more you will discover about what you like :-)

Here is a link that will take you the the California Wine Getaway guide. Even though your not actually planning a visit to wine country, this site has a lot of facts....

http://www.winecountrygetaways.com/beginners-wine-guide.html
  • jacmomma
    jacmomma Posts: 4
    Options
    In the summer I tend to want white so I drink sauvignon blanc, particularly from New Zealand. It is very crisp and citrucy.

For reds I like a pinot noir. It is a light red, easy to drink.

If you like sweet wines, a riesling is good.

Remember it doesn't have to be espensive to be good. Most bottle I buy are $10 and less.

I am a wine snob so I can not recomend moscato or white zinfindel. No offense....

Amen to everything you just said!