will eating lots of protein make me gain weight?

Options
Im having 2 protein shakes a day and a protein bar as a mid pm snack. I only exercise 3 days a week. Will eating protein make me gain weight if im not exercising reguarly enough?

Replies

• MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    Well how many calories are you eating? Eating too much protein alone won't make you gain weight IF you are in a calorie deficit or at maintenance.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Eating too many calories causes weight gain. Protein does not (unless it pushes you over your calories).
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    No, too many calories make you gain weight regardless of the source.
  • Yogi_warrior
    Yogi_warrior Posts: 5,465 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    its possible, I had the same issue. If I would go over 1.2g of protein per lb of LBM, I would gain weight even if the cals remained same. Every one is different, experiment and figure it out.
  • hols_blue
    hols_blue Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    im eating 1200. just wasnt sure if lots of protein mattered when you werent exercising.
  • Yogi_warrior
    Yogi_warrior Posts: 5,465 Member
    Options
    whats lots of protein, Its probably hard to over eat protein on a 1200 cal diet.
  • MommaBelvin
    MommaBelvin Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    No u won't gain weight I did the Atkins diet and it's all about protien. Whether you work out or not the high protien ur body will just eat it up and eat ur fat
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    amandaiggy wrote: »
    No u won't gain weight I did the Atkins diet and it's all about protien. Whether you work out or not the high protien ur body will just eat it up and eat ur fat

wait... what?
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Are they making your total calories go above maintenance?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    SconnieCat wrote: »
    amandaiggy wrote: »

wait... what?

You know, like Thunderdome. Two calories enter, only one calorie leaves.

Or something like that.
  • kimberlynicole79
    kimberlynicole79 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Ha Protein does not eat up fat. If you eat too much of any of the macro nutrients above what your body needs then you will store it. Plus too much protein is hard on kidneys especially if you aren't drinking enough water.
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    ktrader wrote: »
    Ha Protein does not eat up fat. If you eat too much of any of the macro nutrients above what your body needs then you will store it. Plus too much protein is hard on kidneys especially if you aren't drinking enough water.

If protein really ate up fat, I'd be diving into slabs of beef like Lindsay Lohan to a coke binge in 2009.... meat sweats be damned.

All this conversation is doing is giving me a craving for steak.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    SconnieCat wrote: »
    ktrader wrote: »

If protein really ate up fat, I'd be diving into slabs of beef like Lindsay Lohan to a coke binge in 2009.... meat sweats be damned.

All this conversation is doing is giving me a craving for steak.

I was like- I eat brazillian steak house almost every week- or every other week.. at the longest it's once a month...

so yeah- I don't know why I have ANY fat at all at this point.
  • kimberlynicole79
    kimberlynicole79 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    lmao! Seriously. I would love protein to eat up all my fat! Filet all day everyday