Losing weight while planning pregnancy?

Options
Hi everyone! I don't think this is what it sounds like. SO... when i got pregnant with my first son, I indulged in my every craving. I had ALOT of salt and vinegar chips, ice cream, and pickles (lol i know, i know) so by the time I was going to deliver (6weeks early) I had gaineda little over 80lbs! and was stomping in at a whopping 316!!! my son is now 18 mos old, and I've only managed to get down to 259 (today) which is about 20 pounds more than what i weighed before i got pregnant with my first. My husband and I have been thinking about making another one, however, i'm terrified of gaining all of that weight again and experiencing the same complications as the first (gestational hypertension and preeclampsia) my eating habits have changed GREATLY over the past year and a half, and am currently on a 1590 calorie budget (I'm 5'11) and have been making much healthier choices in foods and have been going out of walks 3-4x a week (40-60 mins each) IF i did pregnant, before reaching my GOAL weight of 180, which is PERFECT for my big-boned structure and height (size 9/10 jeans). even though my BMI says i should be 160, my ribs stick out at that weight and i look anorexic for my build (was there at 17) would it be harmful to keep at or under my net 1590 caloric intake while pregnant and continue to lose weight? I am definately not the starving type of person, i LOVE to eat! so when I want to eat more, I work out more ;) so that I can consumer more! it makes me feel like I'm cheating, but with a less guilty feeling (feel free to check my food diary)... so, is this a good habit to keep before and during my pregnancy? ( i do not plan on cutting down to 1200 or below any time soon)

Replies

• BeautifulScarsWECHANGED
    BeautifulScarsWECHANGED Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Do the same thing you are doing now. Log everything, choose heatlhy options, and exercise. You'll be fine. :)
  • Jessaamine
    Jessaamine Posts: 111
    Options
    I'm also planning a future pregnancy so I know how you feel. I'm not a doctor, of course, but I believe you're supposed to only gain 1-3 pounds the first trimester, 1 a week for the second, and 2 a week for the third. Once you're over that first trimester hump you can probably give yourself another (healthy) 200-300 cals a day. Again, let me say, I am not a doctor.
  • pauladavies86
    pauladavies86 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    best thing would be to talk to your doctor... I know there is a certain amount of extra calories you need while pregnant but it's pretty low so your doctor will probably be okay with letting you lose some weight even while pregnant. I honestly think you'd be okay doing what you're doing now.
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    You can safely lose weight while pregnant but ONLY if your body needs to. Cutting back calories while pregnant isn't a good way to do this, instead, you want to stay at your maintenance calories instead of adding in the additional 300 calories that the typical woman needs. You should also start following more of the gestational diabetic diet to avoid the hypertension and the GD.

On a side note, I'm 34 weeks pregnant with #4. I too gained upwards of 60 lbs with each pregnancy and with my last one I was diagnosed with GD. After I had him, I lost 90 lbs and have continued to work out and train other women 3 times a week. I've only gained 29 lbs this time by watching what I eat and maintaining my exercise plan. I also didn't get GD this time around!!!
  • pittielover23
    pittielover23 Posts: 268
    Options
    I am currently TTC, and on of the reasons I am losing weight is to help myself get pregnant. I am scared of gaining it all back when I get prenant though, so I understand your desire to "stay on track". I think that when you get pregnant you obviously need to eat more, but just keep the good habits that you have gained during your weight loss journey. Stay away from the crap for the most part, and just eat more of the good stuff :)
  • young1726
    young1726 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I think that it is just fine to continue this progress until you get pregnant. Afterward, I would discuss it with your doctor. Please don't accept advice from people on here that's it's OK for you to LOSE weight while your pregnant. I know you want to continue losing weight, but that developing baby is SOOOO much more important. My doctor did tell me that as long as my belly and the baby was growing at a heathy rate, that he didn't care if I gained weight, but I wouldn't think they would recommend losing weight. I do know that women that are overweight, really don't require "gaining" weight, so if you just keep watching your food choices and walking like you are I am sure you won't gain that 80 pounds back. Sounds like you are on the right track.

I would recommend that once you are pregnant, you change your goals to "maintain" and in the 2nd and 3rd trimester adding 300 calories to what it says your allotment is. This is what I have researched. But, again...I would discuss it with your doctor first.
  • penmillion
    penmillion Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on changing your eating habits and thinking about this before getting pregnant! Sorry I can't answer the question about how many calories to eat while pregnant/trying, but maybe someone else can. I will just remind you/others that NOW is the time to start taking a prenatal vitamin if you aren't already. The folic acid can prevent neural tube defects but those happen very early on --often even before you know you are pregnant. I've also seen articles that say eating full-fat dairy is better than non- or low-fat while trying to get pregnant.
  • young1726
    Options
    I am currently TTC, and on of the reasons I am losing weight is to help myself get pregnant. I am scared of gaining it all back when I get prenant though, so I understand your desire to "stay on track". I think that when you get pregnant you obviously need to eat more, but just keep the good habits that you have gained during your weight loss journey. Stay away from the crap for the most part, and just eat more of the good stuff :)

Although it is true that you need to eat more, the old wives tale of "eating for two" IS NOT CORRECT! You do not want to eat for TWO. What I have researched you only need to eat 300 calories more...and that is only in the 2nd and 3rd trimesters. 300 calories is NOTHING! An ounce of cheese, a tablespoon of peanut butter and a glass of milk...and boom you're there!! :)
  • debbieishappy21
    debbieishappy21 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    When pregnant you need only about 300 extra calories and thats in the second and third trimesters.

When you get a craving try and find a healthy option to satisfy that craving. Like if you want sugar eat fruit, if you want fat eat peanut butter.

Here is a great link about exercising while pregnant.
    http://www.webmd.com/baby/guide/exercise-during-pregnancy

My OB said to watch my heart rate while exercising but other than than i could do what i felt i was capable of.

-both of my sisters came to live with me while pregnant and both lost weight during pregancy and had healthy happy babies.
  • Janeta58
    Janeta58 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Interesting question: Here is a great link to gestational weight gain and BMI on the Health Canada web site. Pregnancy is not the time to be losing weight.

For example, if the BMI is over 30, than the recommended weight gain would be between 11 - 20 pounds. If the BMI is 25 - 29.9, than the weight gain should be kept between 15 - 25.

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/nutrition/prenatal/qa-gest-gros-qr-eng.php

Here's the link to the newspaper article that I read yesterday so your question is timely!

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/health/ask-a-health-expert/ask-a-dietitian/im-pregnant---and-on-a-successful-low-carb-diet-do-i-have-to-stop/article2008398/
  • pittielover23
    pittielover23 Posts: 268
    Options

Although it is true that you need to eat more, the old wives tale of "eating for two" IS NOT CORRECT! You do not want to eat for TWO. What I have researched you only need to eat 300 calories more...and that is only in the 2nd and 3rd trimesters. 300 calories is NOTHING! An ounce of cheese, a tablespoon of peanut butter and a glass of milk...and boom you're there!! :)
    Oh I know, that is why I did not mention eating for two. I meant eating more as in not continuing to eat the amount of calories that you do for weight loss. THAT is unhealthy for you and the baby.
  • greeneyed84
    greeneyed84 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    With my 3rd i only gained 26lbs, thank GOD, it's b/c i was determined not to gain almost 40lbs as i did with my first too. And it came off pretty easily too. But i did not restrict my calories. I still had junk, but not much of it, just had healthier choices :-)
    Good luck!
  • young1726
    Options

Oh I know, that is why I did not mention eating for two. I meant eating more as in not continuing to eat the amount of calories that you do for weight loss. THAT is unhealthy for you and the baby.

I figured that was what you meant. I just wanted to make sure it was clear. :)