Can't consume enough Calories

Options
Hey Guy/Girls... need ideas to eat clean to increase my calories
I am finding that i cant eat enough on training Days. I want to maintain not lose weight.
I am already eating 5-6 times a day but I am not hungry.
I am striving for 2850 -3000 Cal per day but when I factor in training I am always to low

Replies

• 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    like nuts? eat them.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    peanut butter, use more butter/olive oil, whatever fats you think are "clean", eat more of those.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of egg whites, but no yolks. Eat the yolks--that's where the nutrients (and calories) are. Toast w/ butter or nut butter, bowls of cereal w/ whole milk, bagels w/ cheese.

Or sometimes, you just "gotta" drink some calories--some of the "gainers" of MFP have homemade "mass gainer shake" recipes made from whole food ingredients (I've no experience, but maybe a Pinterest search for drinkable, wholesome calories would help).
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    why can increased calories come only from "clean" foods?

the reason that you can't hit your calorie goal is because you are trying to twist yourself into a variation of "clean"..

I would suggest adding in pasta, ice cream, bagels, etc; just make sure that you still hit your calorie/micro/macro targets...

• yogilifter
    yogilifter Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    grind up 1/4 cup steel cut oats and add to your protein shakes. extra 150 calories there. second on eating the yolks. find ways to sneak in those things and you are still eating clean if that's your goal
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    How about the four Bs of healthy eating: beer, bacon, booze, butter.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    peanut butter. ice cream. cookies. pizza.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I went through an adjustment period when I moved to maintenance. It's funny how hard it seems to add in those extra calories sometimes, isn't it?

You might start pre-planning your days, if you aren't already, to see how you can get some more calories in. Calorie dense foods can be your friend right now. They add a quick 100-200 calories to your day without making you eat a ton of extra food.

This is a generic list and it's definitely not comprehensive, but anything here can be included in a balanced diet (as long as there are no allergies, medical conditions, obviously):
    avocado
    cheese
    full fat dairy
    Greek yogurt
    ice cream
    peanut butter (or other nut butters)
    dark chocolate
    less lean cuts of meat (including beef, pork, sausage, etc.)
    seeds (chia, flax, sunflower, etc.)
    nuts
    olive oil
    coconut oil
    butter
    beans and lentils
    protein shakes, bars, and smoothies
    hummus
    beef jerky
    cornbread
    tuna
    full calorie condiments (including mayo if you like it)
    full calorie sauces & dressings
    sour cream
    guacamole
    whole grain pasta
    rice
    bacon
    whole eggs
    quinoa
    fruit and fruit juices
    pretzels
    bananas
    scones
    muffins (bran, blueberry, banana nut, etc.)
    potatoes (sweet, red, gold, purple, white, etc.)
    dried fruit (raisins, apricots, plums, dates, etc.)
    granola
    coconut
    salmon
    edamame
    honey
    molasses
  • FitFitzy331
    FitFitzy331 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    After looking at a couple days of your diary, you could easily switch out the 100cal yogurts for full fat, that goes for the milk as well. Also eat the whole egg rather than just the whites. It looks like you're mixing your protein with just water since no other beverage is listed, mix it with milk, oats, pb, anything. All of that gives you at least a couple hundred calories a day.
    How about the four Bs of healthy eating: beer, bacon, booze, butter.
    But this is my favorite answer to add more calories into your diet. :)
  • sjohnson__1
    sjohnson__1 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    why can increased calories come only from "clean" foods?

the reason that you can't hit your calorie goal is because you are trying to twist yourself into a variation of "clean"..

I would suggest adding in pasta, ice cream, bagels, etc; just make sure that you still hit your calorie/micro/macro targets...

SPOT-THE-F**K ON.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    So what does "clean eating" mean to you OP as everyone seems to have their own definition?

Would start by eating whole eggs instead of egg whites, full fat milk instead of skimmed - drop all the "diet foods" in fact.

You are getting a lot of your calories from supplements instead of real food. Not enough fruit and veg IMHO.

• JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Full fat milk, yogurt, eggs, everything tastes so much better and, most of the time, doesn't add a horrendous amount of calories. Consider it, OP! And no more light, domestic beer, for you; CRAFT BREW FOR BREAKFAST!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Nacho plate. Eat it. Eat it and tell me about it.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Nacho plate. Eat it. Eat it and tell me about it.
    Yuuuuuuuuuuuuus. <3
  • cdn_beaver
    cdn_beaver Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Fats aren't the enemy. They are calorie dense and healthy for you. Avocados, full fat dairy (milk, yogurt, cheese), nuts, coconut oil, etc.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I so much want this challenge. I would eat so much peanut butter and a whole avocado every day. A girl can dream.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »
    I so much want this challenge. I would eat so much peanut butter and a whole avocado every day. A girl can dream.

And wine, duh!
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Chocolate!
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    jkwolly wrote: »

And wine, duh!

Absolutely wine.

And cheese.
  • scrittrice
    scrittrice Posts: 345 Member
    Options

My thoughts every time I read one of these posts. If only there were some kind of carbon offset-type program for calories...