I am so burned out on my menu. Protein and veg!

Options
SolidGoaled
SolidGoaled Posts: 504 Member
I am completely burned out on my menu. I feel like all I do is eat salads and eggs, chicken breast and canned fish (tuna or sardines) every day!

What do you guys all eat for quick/easy sources of protein and vegetables?

I have been supplementing with protein powder, but its giving me stomach cramps, so I am looking for high protein FOOD ideas.

Replies

• nyctraveler
    nyctraveler Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Omg I am so WITH YOU...I dread salad now just b/c i have it so often. i can't remember the joyous days when i was allowed to have a sandwich for lunch.

I like grilled salmon or halibut with veggies so that varies things up a bit. Have you tried chicken or turkey breasts with fun spice rubs. I have one called "chick magnet" that i rub on the chicken and then grill it. It's really good.

Also, I buy ground bison and make sliders (no bread)
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    check your protein powder to see if it has dairy in it, that's what might be causing the cramps. I have the designer whey protein from wal-mart, and it's dairy free. Nuts are a great source of protein, salmon, escargo in mushroom tops (my personal favorite)...salad doesn't have to mean lettuce. Try making a greek salad, or a squash salad. hungrygirl.com has a lot of great ideas for veggies. I like throwing in a bunch of finely diced veggies with some vinegarette and olives. Throw some seeds in the mix and you have a good, healthy lunch!
  • jgaht
    jgaht Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'm totally with the previous post about salmon. I'm not much of a meat eater, but I love fish. In the past few months, I've been eating Kroger's Private Selection Wild Salmon. It's package more as an appetizer, but I'll eat for a snack or eat the full 2 servings for dinner. One package contains two servings which are a total of 240 cals I believe. If I want some protein with my snack., I'll eat the salmon on wheat thins. Additionally, when I've exercised and earned some extra cals I'll add brie. YUM.

Good luck with the menu changing. :)
  • amelia_atlantic
    amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian so this will sound a little biast but look into some meat-free protein options!

I LOVE Quorn products (the protein is from a mushroom based source) and they have tons of options. http://www.quorn.com/

Also, you can "have" sandwiches, OF COURSE! Try using a bagel or sandwich thin instead of bread, some cheese, Tofurkey (tofu based protein) deli slices (low in calories AND sodium) with tons of baby spinach, avocado and tomato! SO GOOD and around the 350 mark
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    Try a nice mild broiled or grilled fish (think flounder or tilapia) for a change. I get a little tired of chicken all the time, too. Flounder is something that I love. Squeeze lemon juice over it. yum
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I literally eat the same thing for breakfast every single morning. And I'm totally over it as well. I feel you.

I eat chicken a lot and recently bought a bottle of Buffalo Wild Wings mild sauce. It's like 35 calories per tablespoon and that's about all it takes to coat 6-8oz of chicken. I like to cut my chicken into pieces, bake, and then coat in the sauce. At least I feel like I'm eating something naughty.

As far as greens... I eat a LOT of asparagus that I roast in the oven with no-calorie olive oil spray, lemon juice, salt and pepper. I also steam brussel sprouts a lot and put a very thin pat of butter in the bag to coat it as it steams. Add salt.

My favorite way to do my eggs lately has been to bake them inside a hollowed out tomato in the oven. I posted the recipe on here. Tomorrow, I'm trying something new... I'm going to slice the tomato, remove the center/seeds, and then put the tomato rings on an oiled up skillet, then pour scrambled egg into the middle and cook like a normal fried egg (but no butter). I'm hoping that will change things up as well. I might add some minced garlic.

Just try to switch up your presentation and spices and stuff. I hope you figure some new things out!
  • kioga86
    kioga86 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Don't forget about our good friend hummus! It's a great way to get some extra vegetables into you! I personally use it to replace condiments on my sandwiches.

Also, about your protein shake, look and see if it has sugar alcohols in it. Sugar alcohols are notorious for causing stomach cramps.
  • marjie179
    marjie179 Posts: 4
    Options
    I have been eating mozz string cheese sticks for a good protein boost. I also do a one ounce serving of Pacific Gold teriyaki beef jerky from Costco. It's also a good boost. I have been eating those Healthy Choice and Lean Cuisine meals for lunches and they seem to have about 18-20 g protein per lunch. That sustains me for a few hours until the afternoon.
  • lilRicki
    Options

My favorite way to do my eggs lately has been to bake them inside a hollowed out tomato in the oven. I posted the recipe on here. Tomorrow, I'm trying something new... I'm going to slice the tomato, remove the center/seeds, and then put the tomato rings on an oiled up skillet, then pour scrambled egg into the middle and cook like a normal fried egg (but no butter). I'm hoping that will change things up as well. I might add some minced garlic.

oh those eggs sounds awesome...my new favorite way to make eggs is with spinach, mushrooms and some soy cheese, mix it all together and bake in a pie plate. I like using 1 egg and then coating the rest in egg whites...nothing like a good frittata first think in the morning, put 1tbsp of salsa on top and tada, nothing but goodness lol...you can add slices of ham into it too, basically what ever you want in an omlette, but bake it in a pie tin...
  • amelia_atlantic
    amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
    Options

oh those eggs sounds awesome...my new favorite way to make eggs is with spinach, mushrooms and some soy cheese, mix it all together and bake in a pie plate. I like using 1 egg and then coating the rest in egg whites...nothing like a good frittata first think in the morning, put 1tbsp of salsa on top and tada, nothing but goodness lol...you can add slices of ham into it too, basically what ever you want in an omlette, but bake it in a pie tin...

Love BOTH of those ides! I've been raving about this one for a while but:

Enough salsa to coat the bottom of a pan, warm up on medium heat until it's bubbly.
    Crack one whole egg directly into it and 1-2 egg whites
    Cover for about 10 minutes.
    Add a little shredded cheese.

SO GOOD!
  • lilRicki
    Options
    omg I'm going to try that one, thanx amelia!
  • kimd1974
    kimd1974 Posts: 113
    Options
    I'm not sure if you eat processed meats but if you do I have a great quick meal. Portabella Pizza's. You take a portabella mushroom brush some EVOO on it fill with spag. sauce, turkey pepperoni and low fat provalone. Bake until cheese is melted. YUM! You could use something besides pepporoni if you do not eat processed meat. I think 17 slices of the turkey pepporoni has 90 calories and you only need 8 at the most per mushroom.