Treadmill for my house.

Options
I want a treadmill to use at home but my budget is only $300. I found a "best seller" on Walmart.com that looks okay and has decent reviews. It still just looks cheap to me although people like it. I have also looked on craigslist but it seems most in my price range are really nice ones that need work and I am not really confident that I could fix it. lol. Has anyone opted for a cheaper treadmill and has it been working for you? The one I am looking at is the "Wesloo Cadence G 5.9" for $287. TIA!

Replies

• glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    What is your use case for this? Just walking? Or do you plan to run on it? And if so, how long and how fast?
  • FashionQueen86
    FashionQueen86 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    You could go to Amazon and look at reviews already written for that treadmill. It seems to have four stars so far, but this is within your budget, I'd get it. At least you'd have something to help you move around. Doesn't have to be a treadmill from a faraway Intelligent Planet of super beings.

http://www.amazon.com/Weslo-Cadence-G-5-9-Treadmill/dp/B007O5B0LC
  • suzikay12
    suzikay12 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    It definitely depends on how you are going to use it. If you are going to be mostly walking then a lower end treadmill will probably be just fine. If you intend to run, you will not be happy with a cheaper model, they just can't take the abuse from running.
  • amsmithatc33
    amsmithatc33 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    But Used!!! I found my $2000 NordicTrac for only $500 on Craigslist. It was 5 years old but only had 30 miles logged on it. So it's brand new! A lot of people find they don't use them like they thought and sell cheap. Also, don't be afraid to ask if you can get in it for a minute or two, I almost bought one from a friend that was less but quickly found that hers was not nearly the quality of the one I bought! Take your time in looking!
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    suzikay12 wrote: »
    It definitely depends on how you are going to use it. If you are going to be mostly walking then a lower end treadmill will probably be just fine. If you intend to run, you will not be happy with a cheaper model, they just can't take the abuse from running.

This - my building at work has a small gym with a few treadmills. For various reasons one day I needed to do my workout at lunchtime instead of at home on my own treadmill (A Nordictrack C1550).

The poor little LifeFitness thing was shaking itself to pieces at only a 7:30/mi pace. I cranked it up to 6:00/mi and the thing sounded like it was going to explode. I actually felt almost bad for the little guy. Like I was hurting it or something.

If you want to run on it you will want one with a wider and longer deck, and a bigger motor, than most of the "cheap" ones.
  • DanniB423
    DanniB423 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Thank you! As of now, I am walking. I plan to jog eventually and I hope to one day run! Maybe I need to stick to walking outside right now.. and freezing my buns off. And then save up for the real deal. Thanks you guys!
  • JodieP13
    JodieP13 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I just got a sweet one on Craig's List for $100. I've been searching for about 6 months though for a good one.
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I bought a cheap on on Overstock, and regretted it. I thought since I was just using it to walk it would be ok. Nope. The stride length was too short, the whole thing too narrow, and the belt slipped occasionally which can throw you right off if you are walking fast. Better off to either save up or find a good used one.