Hungry all the time all of a sudden?

Options
So for the past month now, I've been strong at it, watching what I eat, logging everything, getting my daily water intake, hitting the gym 3-4 times a week. Was never hungry, I was always satisfied, all of a sudden this week, i'm like a bottomless pit, and all I want to do is eat! I'm still making healthy choices of course but it never seems good enough, i'm even waking up in the middle of the night starving, and i'm not even fully awake. What could this be from?? and how can I keep it under control so I don't end up binge eating!!

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Well for starters, just don't (binge)!

If you are just starting out, then your body will react to getting less calories over a short period of time. You have to assess your hunger and work with your body to feed it nutrients when needed but your body is possibly rejecting a calorie deficit and will for several weeks.

Drink water or ask your self can you be thirsty? If after drinking some water or a beverage (low cal) if you are still hungry then give your self a snack.. perhaps a high protein snack that is satisfying and will keep you feeling full longer..

It will pass, but just be mindful of these feelings and do not give into the urge to eat when you might just need to drink something...
  • scorpiophoenix
    scorpiophoenix Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Is there anything you've cut out of your diet that perhaps you're craving? Also, I get this way once a month or so before my period. Chocolate helps. lol
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i'm always in a state of being a little bit hungry. i think that is has mostly to do with the fact that i am tracking my foods and watching my calories and have my meals planned hours, if not a day, ahead of time.
  • katytherunner1
    Options
    It might be something to do with your body's leptin levels. Any excess body fat we have causes leptin resistance...The theory is, that as we lose body fat, your body thinks its starving so to compensate your brain sends hunger signals to tell you to eat, particularly high calorie foods as it wants the fat, even if you have actually eaten enough for the day.
    If you know you've had enough, a large glass of water should do it, or if you need a bit more, try eating vegetables/protein for snack as they keep you fuller for longer!
  • BrianHageman
    BrianHageman Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Some people do better eating several small meals throughout the day instead of the typical three. Try eating the same things you would eat over three meals, but break them into five meals. Breakfast, late breakfast, lunch, late lunch, and dinner.
  • Lemmynade
    Lemmynade Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Also, I get this way once a month or so before my period. Chocolate helps. lol

Ditto. High fiber stuff seems to help, so does water, and once in a while something carbonated if I'm trying to hold off (saving cals for later).
  • sunforme3
    sunforme3 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Load up on extra vegetables and increase your protein, your body may need it if your in the gym 3-4times a week, plus hydrate, hydrate, hydrate!!! Good luck!!!!!!
  • hskriver
    hskriver Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Have you changed anything about your exercise routine in the last week (either working out longer, at a higher intensity, or trying a new type of exercise?) I've noticed when I ramp up my exercise intensity, I can also get a boost in hunger levels.

Another factor could be time of the month. I've noticed that during parts of my cycle some months (not always), my hunger levels increase and the foods that worked just fine the prior week are no longer enough. Usually passes after a few days.

Make sure you are getting enough protein too. It really can really help keep you feeling fuller longer.
  • kaylacarol1989
    kaylacarol1989 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    its not time of the month, it's the opposite lol so that's not it, maybe it's not enough protein but I think yesterday I was even over my daily protein goal. I drinka lot of water also so that's not it. Going to try different things, thansk for all the feed back!
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I eat 5-7 smaller meals every day---no fail. I am always hungry. I find if I eat more frequently I actually eat less and maintain my daily caloric goals.