This questions is for the Ladies...

Options
I was just wondering what you ladies do when it's that time of the month...in regard to weighing. I notice extra bloat durring this time and am not sure if I want to get on the scale because I am afraid that I will get discouraged if there is not weight loss or if I have gained. To weigh or not to weigh...???

Replies

• princesslmc2
    princesslmc2 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    It's really up to you. I still weigh myself, but really for information gathering. I'm used to gain as much as 6 or 7 pounds, but as the pounds are falling off... that gain is a little less (between 1 and 5). So really, I'm just curious as to how TOM affects me, but I don't let myself get discouraged by that number either. It's just the way it goes... BLECH. LOL
  • amylynn9
    amylynn9 Posts: 40
    Options
    Well you can look at it with the glass half full:
    weigh yourself, you're heavier, BUT when its over, looks like you dropped more weight :)
  • Sasha_Bear
    Sasha_Bear Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh myself until the week after my cycle has ending. It just helps to avoid unnecessary disappointment, and who needs that aggravation! LOL
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I gain 5-10lbs...and even though I know why, it's still detrimental...I weigh myself once a month, and it's about 2 days after my period is over
  • Fattack
    Fattack Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I always weigh.
  • casey12105
    casey12105 Posts: 293
    Options
    I weigh myself every day regardless, and I've learned that during my tom I gain 5-7lbs. I still weigh myself, and just recognize the fact that it's not actual fat gain kwim?
  • m2purple
    m2purple Posts: 38
    Options
    weigh yourself, you're heavier, BUT when its over, looks like you dropped more weight :)

This is how I do it! I feel better when I weigh in the next time, even if I had "gained" during TOM
  • stefraab
    stefraab Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I weigh but I expect extra lbs.
    It's that time for me at the moment... I gained a pound, then lost it... then gained .6 lb.... so we'll see what tomorrow brings.

I don't lose heart when I go up a little bit so i weigh every day for interest sake
  • DianaPowerUp
    DianaPowerUp Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    There are sooooo many things that make your weight fluctuate on a daily basis, and then you throw hormones into the mix - argh! Yeah, I think most women notice changes around that TOM. I've read here that some women gain 5+ lbs of water weight then!

Which is why......I don't weigh myself. Well, rarely. Maybe once/mo, when I can tell that I may have lost more weight. B/c otherwise, it gets kind of defeatist. One day you're up, then you're down, then you're down again, then you're up, then TOM - oh boy! I think most people weigh themselves (here anyway) once/wk, at the same time/day. Just remember that when it's your TOM, you may notice a creep up, but it'll go away again (well, provided you didn't indulge in all your cravings, lol!).
  • CrisUndies
    CrisUndies Posts: 40
    Options

I totally agree I blew up by five pounds two days ago and now I'm down by six! :)
  • eliz_in_pink
    eliz_in_pink Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I guess I've always been pretty lucky... Always during my time of the month I've seemed to have lost the most amount of weight--- sometimes even between 5-7 pounds. Its came as a shock to me because I really didnt do anything different or ate anything different...

I'm probably not much of a help on this post, but I would say just continue to weigh in as normal & good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • marisol7649
    marisol7649 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    It's really up to you. I still weigh myself, but really for information gathering. I'm used to gain as much as 6 or 7 pounds, but as the pounds are falling off... that gain is a little less (between 1 and 5). So really, I'm just curious as to how TOM affects me, but I don't let myself get discouraged by that number either. It's just the way it goes... BLECH. LOL

I do the same thing.
  • jpalmer7384
    jpalmer7384 Posts: 23
    Options
    I check my weight daily, but I only weigh in once a week. And I agree with what a lot of people are saying, when you do see the weight gain, its more rewarding when you see the loss when its all over.
  • young1726
    young1726 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I weigh every single week. Although, I really haven't had a regular TOM in forever. Getting off BC screwed me up for 6 months and then after that I've been either pregnant or breastfeeding for 2 years and 7 months!! (WOW) But I think we all know this TOM increases our weight...but we also all know that it is more than likely water weight. I guess it depends how your mind works. If you can remind yourself and prepare yourself that this is most likely going to happen, then weigh. If it's going to throw you off track when you see the scale go up (even if you know why) and cause you to over-indulge in your comfort foods, then don't. The most important thing is to not use your TOM as an excuse to eat like crap. We all have cravings that we push aside every single day. Why is TOM special enough to give us a reason to give in to those cravings? Keep pushing through. We all know it will be over in a handful of days and we'll be back on the road! Push yourself to keep doing good!
  • Dellonious1
    Dellonious1 Posts: 209
    Options
    I gained 5lbs then lost it when TOM was done....It scared the crap out of me at first...
  • mommiedawn
    mommiedawn Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I wonder when the weight gain starts in regards to TOM? I may have to investigate this. I start to feel blah leading up to it and then when it finally peaks and begins to taper off I get so much energy it's crazy!

I have looked at it as though TOM kind of 'masks' my weight loss for a while and I find it intriguing to see what the real result is going to be when that passes. Lol how goofy we girls get to be sometimes!
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    I just stick to the plan but I dont weigh. I know that there is no point in it because the weight increase is inevitable. I just wait utnil next time and there is usually a loss
  • gatorgirl7
    gatorgirl7 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    this just happened to me last week--and i was a little discouraged b/c i had gained...but i realized that it HAD to be that. i just weighed in again and i'm down 2.5 lbs. whew! i would weigh in anyways, just to have a record, but know that it is going to be a little increase. also, drinking a TON (and i mean a TON of water) helps...
  • pittielover23
    pittielover23 Posts: 268
    Options
    I still weight myself as well. I usually do not lose as much (or even gain a bit) during that TOM, but the next weeks loss is usually better :) I do not want to get out of the habit of weighing myself weekly; in the past I have stopped and not started again (easy to pretend the weight isn't creeping back up that way!),
  • achampionsheart
    achampionsheart Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    i agree...i would not weigh the week of, it would so discourage me....