Tough Mudder

Options
Any training routines for tough mudder race or experienced racers willing to give tips. Please send them my way!

Replies

• TheLittleFangs
    TheLittleFangs Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    They have training programmes from the organisers website to get you started :)
  • ls1guy98
    ls1guy98 Posts: 5
    Options
    Run, run, run + Pull ups and upper body. Ran it 2 years ago. I wish I would have had my running endurance up a little more.

Good Luck. Crossing that finish line feels awesome!!!
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I'm currently training for it. I do the tough mudder circuit training (on their website) 2-3 days a week, running at least 2 times a week (not a runner, currently up to 8km runs), plus 1-2 days of hot yoga (really works those muscles!)
    As I get a bit closer (running it in september) and I get more fit I would like to add another run to my week. Hill work as well once a week.
  • miketoney7
    Options
    In my area I think it's in October, I've looked at the sight and I think both comments have excellent suggestions. I think overall endurance and a low body weight or at least a low BMI would be the best. I noticed dropping weight raises my speed too. Hot Yoga I usually just do yoga in my basement but notice that it significantly improved other workouts and keeps me from getting injured
  • HPB2
    HPB2 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I did it last year for the first time. I won tickets last minute so was unable to train for it like I would have liked to. Overweight and out of shape and it was the best experience I've ever had! It was just as much mental as it was physical! I'm ready to go back this year!
  • freqzinbigd
    freqzinbigd Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I ran one last fall at 225 lbs. The novelty had certainly worn off by mile 8 or so. I ran with a fairly large group (15 or so) which made it a lot of fun.

If you can run reasonably well and have a reasonable amount of strength you can do it no problem. It's really just a bunch of 800-1600 meter runs separated by the odd climb over a wall, crawl though a mud pit or tunnel, crossing some monkey bars, or some such.

Plenty of water and a bit of food available on course. You may want a bit more, however (I did) so a couple of energy gels or something in a pocket might be a good idea for the actual run.

• AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    There is the running, but seldom will you run over two miles without a break at an obstacle. Grip strength might be the main thing to train (especially with some of the new obstacles) and upper body strength. I’d work on deadlifts and pull ups (actually that is what I’ve been working on as I have one this weekend).

• miketoney7
    Options
    Good info I've been doing 10 to 15 minute runs between lifting adding more BW exercise in my routine too. Trying to work my pace up to 8.1 mph I'm running 7.4 MPH sets now fairly consistent. May just add along run day in once a week.