The beauty of pre-logging your food

Options
I have been on MFP for awhile, logging my food as I go, in general before or while I am eating- and I have had good success.

However, this week I have been pre-logging my meals, first thing in the morning, and eating on schedule. I've noticed a few things.

1. I'm planning out my calories better, and making sure each meal has enough nutrition packed into it.
2. I'm more careful about unintentionally going over on calories or any other macro nutrient.
3. I can make room for treats or higher calorie items later in the day, by getting a ball park figure for the day in its entirety.

Just something I wanted to share...I hadn't gotten into the mindset of prelogging, but now that I am seeing how beneficial it is, I can't help but think that this this the way to go (for me). :happy: Hope it helps anyone out there who might want or need to tweak their routine.

Have a great day!

Replies

• End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    Agreed. I have been doing this for a while and it is definitely the way to go. I plan my whole day of food the night before. Another thing I (or my wife depending on who cooks) do is always make one extra portion for dinner and then that becomes my lunch the next day. So as long as you plan a healthy dinner each nigh you will also have healthy lunches every day. That takes the guess work out of two of the days meals right there.
  • kyleeann15
    kyleeann15 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing! I have found that once I have it layed out I dont need to worry about it, or think about it too much. I can focus the rest of my day on what workouts I want to do, or just enjoy the day!! :-) Its much more stress free...thanks for sharing!
  • doza13
    doza13 Posts: 7
    Options
    I agree that pre-logging is the way to go. I start my day by logging my breakfast and then logging what I expect I'll eat for lunch and dinner. It helps me plan out what I can and cannot do. Sometimes I vary from my pre-logged plan, but I'm thinking about it and that is what is key!
  • MrBrown72
    MrBrown72 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Something more people should realize.

Bump
  • pittielover23
    pittielover23 Posts: 268
    Options
    I do this as well :) I realize the if I pre-log everything, I am much more apt to stay on schedule. You know, its written in stone ;) I also like seeing the "whole picture" for the day, and knowing if I have any wiggle room anywhere.
  • milehighcritic
    Options
    I agree. For the past few weeks I have been entering lunch and breakfast while getting ready for work in the morning. It allows me to better plan lunch. I then can enter in any pre-workout snacks and dinner when I get home.
  • stefraab
    stefraab Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I love prelogging my food! No surprises, I know how much I have to eat, I can plan snacks better so I don't get hungry/go over my cals....
    It's the only way I can do it effectively.
  • Fat2FitChick
    Fat2FitChick Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Yup! I do this as well and it has really helped!
  • penny39
    penny39 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I try to prelog as often as I can, it's usually weekends where I don't.
  • happyhappyjoy72
    Options
    Awesome idea!! I think I might start!!:smile:
  • propjetprop
    propjetprop Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    No way... not for me....
  • denise980
    denise980 Posts: 296
    Options
    I try to do this as well. However, I find that when I do that, I have dessert after dinner because I know that I have enough left over. Which is good because I'm not depriving myself of what I want, but I don't like that I have dessert like 3-4 times a week lol. Something that I have been battling for a while

*Edit: The only thing that stinks about my eating schedule is I eat at the dining hall where I work and sometimes the website is not up to date and I have no idea what lunch or dinner will be.*
  • LadyBarb
    LadyBarb Posts: 116
    Options
    I'm getting back into logging adn it's helping and reminder me that One I better work out to keep my intake low! And if I have some extra for a treat in the evening.
  • callipygianchronicle
    callipygianchronicle Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I like some flexibility, so I don't usually pre-log an entire day, but I do pre-plan and log my dinner most days. And for the past two weeks i have been pre-planning/logging my breakfast. I can be wishy washy and prone to only drinking coffee/tea in the morning, so logging a high protein breakfast helps to keep me on track.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I love pre-logging. It helps me see if I might go over before I've already eaten it, and it's too late to correct it.
  • Redness82
    Redness82 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I pre-log my breakfast and lunch for sure! Then I think about what my dinner will consist of depending on those two things... I usually have a lot of calories left over for dinner, especially with working out in the afternoon. So, I get to play a little more with dinner! :)