anyone here with Hashimotos have tips to weight loss?

Options
any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Replies

• andeey
    andeey Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Pretty much the same as anyone who doesn't have Hashimoto's. Less calories in than out. You might have to work at finding your specific TDEE, as calculators are likely to be incorrect. Are you on medication? If you get the Hashimoto's stabilized, you should be good to go as far as losing weight. It might take longer that those without this extra issue. There are some who think lower carbs helps, but you may have to just log and go by trial and error to see what combination of things works for you.
  • TCO76
    TCO76 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Recently diagnosed myself. Same way a normal person does it. Weighing and tracking your intake. May have to go at a more agreesive deficit than someone with a perfect metabolism but I have seen great results both untreated and treated. Don't quote me on any of this as gospel. Just my experience.
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    As long as you are on the right meds/amount, you should be able to lose, you just lose the same way as everybody else. Weight lifting has helped me a lot as well.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Yes! Just stay consistent. Try to keep your stress low. Get a 7-8 hours of sleep. And of course, get your tsh, t3 and t4 checked regularly. Also find a doctor that will consider armour thyroid. A lot of people find the extra t3 changes things quite a bit, but you won't notice a difference if the things I mentioned above aren't regulated. I'm on a mix of armour thyroid and levoxyl, it's been working much better for me than just the straight levoxyl/synthroid most doctors prescribe. And finally, get a quality vitamin D supplement.
  • Jeneba
    Jeneba Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone - I have hypo-thyroidism, but not autoimmune. I am going back on plan for the first time since diagnosis last November. I think all of us would benefit from limiting sugar in our diet and increasing our percentage of protein. Also - the stronger our muscles, the better we will be able to regulate all of our secondary symptoms. Hope everyone feels better!
  • galgenstrick
    Options
    Oh yeah, and also try to find a doctor who will consider getting your hormone levels checked. If the thyroid is not functioning properly the other hormones may be out of whack. If you can't find a doctor to do it, you can do it yourself at home with a kit from ZRT labs. Although, if you find something, most doctors will scoff at the at home tests, so just be aware of that...
  • galgenstrick
    Options
    runner475 wrote: »

Thanks! I didn't know about these, I just joined them
  • Paulalynnb
    Paulalynnb Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have read a few articles about Paleo being helpful for individuals with any autoimmune disease.
  • gofitness66
    Options
    galgenstrick - It is very difficult to find a doctor who will even consider armour thyroid. I sure wish there was one near me! Been hypo for almost 20 years (whole family has Hashimoto's) and weight loss has gotten progressively harder since I turned 45. Plus, my endo just lowered my Synthroid from 175 t o 137, but I still feel like crap.
  • kaseylynnhaskins
    Options
    Not a fan if levo/synthroid. Horrible reactions! Im going to see a holistic doc soon who thinks armour is the trick. Fingers crosses. Never had issues eating healthy just pack on the pounds even looking at a doughnut. Lol upping the cardio!