Coffee!

Options
So I have finally switched to almond milk and am in love! I am thinking about even having 4oz of coffee with 4oz of almond milk some days. I have heard having caffeine helps with workouts and metabolism. Any thoughts? Will having coffee hurt my diet or workouts in any way? I would mix just black coffee with almond milk and see how it tastes.

Replies

• wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    Coffee has 116 mg potassium per cup. That qualifies it as a health food for me.

I drink about 4 - 5 cups per day, sometimes more, sometimes less. I have lost 14 lbs since Jan 25. I have been working out at the gym on a fairly steady basis, 3 days a week, trying to add one more day now...I would say it has not had an effect on my workout or my weight loss.

It has helped protect those around me from bodily harm, so there's that.
  • Pelamblue
    Pelamblue Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    coffee is the muts nuts before a gym session !! I swear by it. With almond milk even better.
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Caffeine helping metabolism, I'm not sure, I could be wrong though.

But, I do know it gets me ... in the zone to say. I take my pre-workout (Citadel Nutrition Tier 1+), with 8oz. of the new Yellow Monster Zero (Citron) since it has the highest caffeine out of all, along with a green tea extract pill.

Coffee won't hurt your workout at all. If you're caffeine sensitive, it's a great pre-workout. As I type this from my office at work (I'm tired, bored, and no one is here today) I'm on my 4th cup of coffee.... with Splenda and creamer.

Almond milk is great. I usually get 2 cups worth at night, throw in some Walden Farms Chocolate syrup, and mix it extremely well..... LOVE IT.
  • kathyk519
    kathyk519 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Love love love coffee and can't live without it! It won't hurt you as long as you are counting/logging whatever you put into it.
  • Pelamblue
    Options
    caffine is good so long as you don't have it on drip
  • Pelamblue
    Options
    or caffeine even DRRRRR
  • Zx14chick
    Zx14chick Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    My husband likes to have a boost of caffeine before a workout to increase his calorie burn. If it works for you and you like it, I think you're fine. I didn't realize coffee had so much potassium in it! I have started to move more toward tea because of the soy used in pretty much all non-dairy creamers. I keep reading more and more about soy's negative effects on women's hormones that I am trying to stay away from it.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Zx14chick wrote: »
    My husband likes to have a boost of caffeine before a workout to increase his calorie burn. If it works for you and you like it, I think you're fine. I didn't realize coffee had so much potassium in it! I have started to move more toward tea because of the soy used in pretty much all non-dairy creamers. I keep reading more and more about soy's negative effects on women's hormones that I am trying to stay away from it.

If you're worried about the soy in nondairy creamers, couln't you use half and half or milk instead?

OP, I drink 4-5 cups of coffee a day as well, and it has not hindered my weight loss. I use whole milk in mine. I end up using about 4 oz of whole milk a day for coffee, and I just work it into my day. It is good for my mental health, and for the physical health of those around me.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    I trained myself to like my coffee black. Part of it had to do with not wanting to "drink" calories (I prefer to save that for alcoholic treats, ha ha) but another part had to do with so many people having only 2% or 1% milk or the dreaded coffemate powdered creamer for coffee...I just couldn't stand it...lol..so I made myself like it black. Only took me a few cups and I got used to it. Now I can taste the COFFEE...yumm. It's made me a little more fussy about coffee brands though.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    Pelamblue wrote: »
    coffee is the muts nuts before a gym session !! I swear by it. With almond milk even better.

I need to work this into my conversation today.
  • brandigyrl81
    brandigyrl81 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Having coffee before working out is great! For me, it gives me more energy and warmth of the coffee makes me sweat more quickly. Make sure you have water with you during your workout, as coffee can dehydrate you. I've tried almond milk in my coffee and didn't particularly care for it. It wasn't creamy enough for me. I prefer half and half. :)
  • Pelamblue
    Options
    Pelamblue wrote: »

I need to work this into my conversation today.

ha ha ha let me know how it goes !
  • cheldroid
    Options
    "Silk" Brand Has Com Out With An Amazing Almond Milk Creamer, A Must For A New York Coffee Drinker Like Me :D
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    I need coffee to survive.
  • Scoochie1
    Scoochie1 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Coffee until the palpitations start... then you have gone too far.
  • davis978
    davis978 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    There is some evidence that drinking coffee before a cardio workout slightly increases the number of calories burned. Not sure if the same is true for strength/lifting workouts or not.

I love coffee, and I drink a lot of it, BUT, I also feel way more hungry when I have more caffeine. Often, the more coffee I drink the hungrier I am, and the more difficult I find it to stay in my calorie range. So, as you increase your coffee consumption, pay attention to that. If it ultimately causes you to eat more (as it does to me) then it might not be a net gain.
  • jaggerjia
    jaggerjia Posts: 51
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    Coffee has 116 mg potassium per cup. That qualifies it as a health food for me.

i like (and agree with) the way you think! :D
  • RosieWest8
    RosieWest8 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    To answer your question -- there is no reason not to have coffee before a workout. There will be no negative effects for your weight loss due to coffee. I have not really every heard or read compelling information about caffeinated beverages increasing calorie burn to an extent that would be significant...but I definitely *feel* like coffee gives me more energy so it can get you through a workout if you're feeling sluggish I guess.

I love coffee and would probably not be very pleasant without it. So it would not really be something I'd be willing to give up for much...
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,715 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym after work, which is anywhere between 3:30 - 4:00 PM. AKA - afternoon siesta time! I have a cup of coffee generally every afternoon before I leave work (or in the summer I have iced tea). I don't know if it actually helps or if it is just the placebo effect, but I feel more energized for my workouts this way.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Coffee is the best! Just make sure you count whatever you're putting into it. I drink coffee every morning (just one cup a day), and usually drink it before my long runs on Sunday so I don't end the run with a caffeine headache. However, do not drink 5 consecutive cups of coffee and then immediately go to the gym, as I did once after studying in a Panera... I thought my heart was going to explode, and the crash was awful! lol