getting noticed

Options
I'm presently in the "danger zone" where I've given up a few times before. It's the 30 lb mark. I've always gotten into a bad head space at that mark. Things like being tired of counting, clothes not feeling different (I mostly wear stretchy things versus fitted), and nobody noticing. So it was nice the other day when my husband said I look thinner and asked how much I'd lost. It's silly to admit it, but this really helped. :)

Replies

• MelanieBallantino
    MelanieBallantino Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Good for you! Just remember that slow weight loss is more likely to be permanent. If you loose it fast you usually gain it back fast.
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    For sure those things help. Well done. Keep at it. The people that have the best success are the ones that simply endure. You've got this! If you're struggling with motivation and encouragement, I help to run a great support and accountability group on Facebook for people looking to improve their health and fitness. It's just a bunch of people supporting and encouraging each other to make progress towards their goals. It's an awesome community. If you're interested in it, I'd be glad to chat with you about it.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    keziak1 wrote: »
    I'm presently in the "danger zone" where I've given up a few times before. It's the 30 lb mark. I've always gotten into a bad head space at that mark. Things like being tired of counting, clothes not feeling different (I mostly wear stretchy things versus fitted), and nobody noticing. So it was nice the other day when my husband said I look thinner and asked how much I'd lost. It's silly to admit it, but this really helped. :)

I know exactly what you mean! Winter really gets to me and I just want to bundle up inside until its all over. Sometimes I'm cold and miserable and don't want to go to the gym... even getting there I feel like I'm going to have a lackluster workout

Until... one of the gym regulars notices the great progress I've made and comments on it. Now I can take over the world, and would you believe my treadmill intervals were amazing after that?

It's so nice for someone to recognize something you're very privately focused on. It can be a great motivator. Kudos to you, and even better that someone who sees you EVERY DAY notices the change.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    Nobody has noticed with me yet (except my husband, but then, he knows I'm dieting so I don't know whether he's just trying to be encouraging). I actually hate it when people notice. :( I had lost a good amount of weight just before getting pregnant with my youngest son and everyone would mention it. I don't know why, but it made me feel uncomfortable. Some of the comments weren't appropriate. My FIL began making rather inappropriate comments about specific body parts and my brother-in-law would tell me I was getting thin and would give me a hug that was full-frontal crushing. It just bugged me.

Don't get me wrong, I DO want to be thin again and yes, people are going to notice. I'm sure they notice right now that I'm fat!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You need to be doing this for you and because YOU look and feel better. Sure it helps to get a compliment, but this isn't about anyone but you. When I started with the diet and exercise, I never even told anyone for a month. It was about me, for me. This is what keeps me going somedays. I want to be the best me I can be, the strongest me I can be.
  • keziak1
    keziak1 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Me, too, but I am a glutton for approbation. Same way with seeing results on the scale. It shouldn't matter if I know I'm on the right track. But I still want to see the drop.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    It took almost 50lbs for coworkers to comment....and your husband sees you everyday he just didn't notice and as Lis said you should be doing this for yourself not for the compliments of others.
  • cstevenson86
    cstevenson86 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I hear you! I went through that at the 30lb. mark as well. Also, I really struggled to lose the extra ten pounds to get me to a 40lb. loss. I finally hit that mark yesterday, it feels amazing...it has really given me the boost to keep going! Only 76 pounds left to go....;) Good luck on your journey!
  • keziak1
    keziak1 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    A 40 lb loss would be awesome....the halfway mark for me!
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Been there. Glad you got a compliment, it helps you to push forward. Get out of the danger zone and keep working toward the ultimate prize.....maintenance.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    keziak1 wrote: »

No, not silly at all. This is a complicated issue at times - we want to lose weight to be healthy, but cannot deny the desire for physical visible results as well. No need to feel guilty about it, either. His comment was an acknowledgement of your hard work. No different than if you were working on any other project and have made a good bit of progress. Acknowledgement for that is naturally wanted as well. This is no different. Keep it up and remember this feeling anytime you start to feel down!
  • rosiorama
    rosiorama Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    You need to be doing this for you and because YOU look and feel better. Sure it helps to get a compliment, but this isn't about anyone but you. When I started with the diet and exercise, I never even told anyone for a month. It was about me, for me. This is what keeps me going somedays. I want to be the best me I can be, the strongest me I can be.

This.

Granted, I've only lost about 11 pounds but it's gotta be about I feel in my body. My best friend, when she does eventually notice, will probably NOT compliment me because she thinks being overweight is Better than being thin.