Vegetarian Food Processor Recipes? [Under 500 cals]

Options
1992Leigh1992
1992Leigh1992 Posts: 100 Member
Hi everyone.

I recently bought a food processor. http://www.philips.com.au/c-p/HR7762_90/viva-collection-food-processor

I'd like to try something new using it to make dinner tonight. So far I have used it to make pesto, hummus and also smoothies.

I'm looking for vegetarian food processor recipes. Dinner/main meals (or recipes that can be adapted to being vegetarian).

Replies

• selenam336
    Options
    bean patties, spinach balls, banana, zucchini or pumpkin bread... a few things I use my processor for. Though granted it still needs shaping and cooking afterwards. I also like the slicing and shredding options for making stir frys.
  • 1992Leigh1992
    Options
    Thanks! Do you have the recipe for zichini bread, pumkin bread and bean pattiea?
  • selenam336
    Options
    I'm horrible with recipes as I'm a dash and pinch type cook, but my quick breads are all pretty similar and can be used to make a loaf, cup cake or even pancakes depending on how thick or thin the batter is. So please keep this in mind and adjust as you like, or simply scrap it and find another online, there are many. :smile:

The base is roughly 2 cups of self rising flour(I like gold medal), 2/3 to 1 cup sugar(I find raw sugar sweeter and will use even less), 2 eggs, a cup of plain yogurt and enough "liquid" to make it the consistency I want. I tend to use almond milk, but even water will work.

In the processor I start with the nuts(because I like them small, if you don't use them, fine or add later if you like them larger) then add 2 eggs and sugar and yogurt, blend it up, add flour and spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves, vanilla...) and blend, then whatever fruit I'm using. (3-4 banana, small can pumpkin, 2 med zucchini, 3-4 apple, cranberry, raisons...) If it needs any liquid I just add a little at a time and stir till it's where I want it. Quick breads should be fairly thick and doughy.

Preheat oven to 350, cook time varies on whether it's a loaf or muffins. Takes around 20 min to an hour depending on how large the container and how wet the batter.

You can use the same batter for pancakes, just use a flavored yogurt, say blueberry and you'll have blueberry pancakes. You'll also want to add additional milk/liquid for a wetter batter and omit the sugar, or if you like a sweet one you can add just 1-2 TBS. But I figure if I'm putting honey or syrup on top I don't need the sweetener in it.

Hope that makes sense. Oh, and one last thing, if you're adding a fruit or whatnot at the end and you don't want it to be finely cut, you might want to hand mix it in. Feel free to play around with it, this is completely just guidelines.
  • selenam336
    Options
    For bean patties, keep in mind the blade is going to totally mush them, for this my besty prefers them done with a fork, but I'm all about quick and easy with less clean up so I use my processor. My brother-in-law is vegetarian and claims that if you take canned beans and rinse them, then spread on a pan and bake a bit first in the oven it will give a meatier texture, but I haven't tried this yet. I do plan to as he's pretty good with his tips and tricks so I feel safe passing it on even though I haven't tried it personally yet.

So what I do I peel and throw in a small onion, a couple eggs, and pulse to mix. Than add about a cup of panko breading, maybe 1/4 to a 1/3 cup of parmesan cheese, add a couple good splashes of hot sauce, worcester sauce, some dried mustard, garlic, cumin, pulse again. Then I add a can of rinsed black beans and pulse till desired consistency. Sometimes I over do it and need to add a bit more panko. You want to be able to form into patties that hold.

I cook them on a med heat cast iron skillet that I've sprayed with cooking spray for a few min each side.

I've used beans that I've made from dried before but they came out more like a pancake. Tasted great, but not like a burger type patty.

• Boganella
    Boganella Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    https://sweetpotatoandspice.wordpress.com/2013/03/16/pumpkin-black-bean-burgers/

Those are my fave bean burgers to make in my food processor.
  • selenam336
    Options
    I love the idea of adding pumpkin! Thanks for sharing that.
  • 1992Leigh1992
    Options
    selenam336 wrote: »
    I'm horrible with recipes as I'm a dash and pinch type cook, but my quick breads are all pretty similar and can be used to make a loaf, cup cake or even pancakes depending on how thick or thin the batter is. So please keep this in mind and adjust as you like, or simply scrap it and find another online, there are many. :smile:

The base is roughly 2 cups of self rising flour(I like gold medal), 2/3 to 1 cup sugar(I find raw sugar sweeter and will use even less), 2 eggs, a cup of plain yogurt and enough "liquid" to make it the consistency I want. I tend to use almond milk, but even water will work.

In the processor I start with the nuts(because I like them small, if you don't use them, fine or add later if you like them larger) then add 2 eggs and sugar and yogurt, blend it up, add flour and spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves, vanilla...) and blend, then whatever fruit I'm using. (3-4 banana, small can pumpkin, 2 med zucchini, 3-4 apple, cranberry, raisons...) If it needs any liquid I just add a little at a time and stir till it's where I want it. Quick breads should be fairly thick and doughy.

Preheat oven to 350, cook time varies on whether it's a loaf or muffins. Takes around 20 min to an hour depending on how large the container and how wet the batter.

You can use the same batter for pancakes, just use a flavored yogurt, say blueberry and you'll have blueberry pancakes. You'll also want to add additional milk/liquid for a wetter batter and omit the sugar, or if you like a sweet one you can add just 1-2 TBS. But I figure if I'm putting honey or syrup on top I don't need the sweetener in it.

Hope that makes sense. Oh, and one last thing, if you're adding a fruit or whatnot at the end and you don't want it to be finely cut, you might want to hand mix it in. Feel free to play around with it, this is completely just guidelines.

Thanks so much!

Just wondering, if I wanted to make it savoury, would I ommitt the sugar and add salt/herbs instead?

Also can wholemeal flourb be used?
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    If you google "vegetarian food processor recipes" you'll find lots of recipe links.
  • jessicasim92
    Options
    avocado and rocket pesto with whole wheat pasta. I get that from the sidechef app. You can also hummus and coconut acai bowl.
  • tinascar2015
    tinascar2015 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I've posted this one before, but I'll post it again here. I make a frozen soft-serve type of confection for lunch a couple days a week. It is simply Morinu Silken Firm tofu, a cup or more of frozen berries, and enough drink powder (Crystal Light) to sweeten it and make it nice and tart. For an enormous bowl of it with less than 300 calories, I use a whole 12 oz. package of the tofu and 1.5 cups of frozen blueberries, strawberries or raspberries. If I have some of the fresh fruit, I garnish like in the photo.

It is amazing and incredibly filling.
    193o09uh4cww.jpg