Need support and encouragement.

Options
Hi, I'm Holly. 59 years old with just under 100 pounds to lose. I have type 2 diabetes, fibromyalgia, degenerative disk disease in my neck and lower back, so exercise, although necessary, is very difficult. I'm currently on temporary disability due to my neck problem, so I'm not working. Due to pain and finances, I'm very isolated. So, I'm turning to this forum to see if I can form a support network. I think the best way to get support is to give it. Anyone out there?

Replies

• Strawberrie88
    Options
    Yes there are others out here with this struggle... Have you ever tried researching the master cleanse this is something that might help you with a few of your problems along with weight...
  • brittjrogg
    brittjrogg Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I too have fibromyalgia and just found out that I have 4 loose/torn ligaments in my neck and back. Exercising hurts but in the end I feel a lot better. I exercise and then I soak in the tub for about 20 mins with some Epson salt and that helps the pain. I don't really have much extra money to spend on gym costs so I by workout dvds. There are so many different kinds out there that I am sure that you will find one that you like. Ebay, WalMart, Amazon, there are so many places that you can purchase them. You can even search on YouTube and sample a DVD and see if you like it before you buy it.
  • hollyday55
    hollyday55 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    brittjrogg, nice to hear from you. Just an interesting FYI, did you know that there is a close correlation between problems in the cervical spine area and fibromyalgia. I don't think there's a causative link just yet, but the research certainly points to some connection. I had a herniated disk at C6/C7 in 1999 which required surgery, now the injury is higher, C3/C4. This doesn't have anything to do with the discussion, just thought it might be interesting to you. Let me know if you find out anything new about fibro. And thanks for responding, keep in touch.

• adkwolf
    adkwolf Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi, I have similar issues. I have crohns disease, but its in remission, sleep apnea, fibromyalgia, asthma, bulging discs in my neck an diabetes type Ii. It wadriggered by steriods after a bout of asthma in Jan. I was in the hospital for five daysbecauseit was so high. It is much more controlled now, but I am trying to exercise and eat better. With so much snow, exercise is tricky, and too much fiber ittitates my digestion. Plus I have food allergies. Makes it really challenging!
  • Kiku10
    Kiku10 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Hello Holly and others,
    I've had fibro for 23 years, neck injury, etc. It's hard but I manage OK most of the time. It took me many years to get to this point though. Diet, physical therapy , light exercise, medication have all played a big role. I could never do weights...
    I used to spend a lot of time in Epsom salted baths! If you can gain access to a pool, especially a warm water pool, doing some walking or aerobics in there may really help. That was a turning point for me. Stay strong!