anything for a buck....

Options
This is just a rant. I get so disgusted by people who are supposed to be doctors or weight loss experts who endorse these stupid weight loss schemes. I know it's gone on forever but what triggered this rant is something that popped up on my Facebook page. Someone from the show ' the doctor's has lent her name to that garcinea stuff and some green coffee cleanse pills. I don't know who she is because I don't watch the show but I am so sick of people we ought to be able to trust taking advantage of that trust and respect and prey on vulnerable desperate people just to make a buck. Is there no integrity anymore? Ethics? Professionalism?
Sorry for the rant.

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Yep, I agree, anything for a stupid dollar.....or millions.
  • dblaacker
    dblaacker Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Yeah... I pretty much ignore anything that Dr. Oz (or any TV doctor) says.
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I wanted to become a radio personality... but I don't want to shamelessly plug the diet pills like my local radio peoples do. local brewhouses, super-amazing mattresses - yes. crack in a pill - no.

I can haz standards. ;)
  • sakuradreamer
    sakuradreamer Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    It's interesting, I actually read an article saying that most of the stuff Dr. Oz's name ends up on he did not endorse, but there's only so much he can do to combat it. He seemed pretty upset about the issue. I totally agree though! We will do anything now if it has "scientific evidence".
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    I am a fan.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I hear you and appreciate the rant - at the same time, any show that competes against Jerry Springer and Maury Povich, even if it's called "The Doctors", should really be taken with a healthy dose of skepticism.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    get rid of your TV. your IQ will go up ;)
  • cychogal
    cychogal Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Yeah I don't watch the show. It was just something that popped up on my Facebook page. I don't watch Dr. Oz either. I just see their names and faces supposedly endorsing different products. Maybe they don't actually do it. Maybe they are being taken advantage of as well. But then you have those trainers from the biggest loser who have put their names and faces on supplements. I think on that show, none of that stuff is allowed. But the show is just for ratings anyway. Not a lot of sound weight loss advice there. I used to watch that but can no longer stand watching some 400 pound person trying to run a mile, or any distance at all, before they've had any training or conditioning. Too irresponsible for my taste.
    Well I guess I went on another rant. I guess good old fashioned calorie counting and sensible exercise isn't going to grab ratings.
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    any show that competes against Jerry Springer and Maury Povich, even if it's called "The Doctors", should really be taken with a healthy dose of skepticism.

very good point! timeslots do matter!