Butternut Squash recipes please!

Options
Hello MFpals :)

I am looking for some tried and true recipes using butternut squash. I would prefer that they be main dish recipes, but side dishes are welcome too. I do have a food allergy to fresh peppers, but other than than I am not picky! Thank you in advance, you all rock!

Replies

• Welcome2theHellmouth
    Welcome2theHellmouth Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I buy the precut kind. Mix with 1tbs olive oil, salt and I toss it with cinnamon and a smidge of Splenda. It's sweet and salty at the same time. My favorite when I have some is using pampered chef maple herb rub!!! Bake 400 for 30 min. Amazing.
  • allycat5723
    allycat5723 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    @Welcome2theHellmouth‌ that sounds easy and delicious! Thank you for sharing.
  • hhadley06
    hhadley06 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My favorite butternut squash recipe is butternut squash mac n' cheese! :smile: Here's the recipie I use: http://www.amybites.com/?p=1726#more-1726

It's pretty healthy, very filling, and not too tricky to make!
  • shangrilamama
    shangrilamama Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I made this tonight, it was fantastic, filling and hubby gave it two thumbs up. http://www.skinnytaste.com/2013/09/butternut-squash-and-spinach-lasagna.html
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I use it as a side because I'm the only one in the family who will touch it. I cook them whole in my crockpot (you can do that!! I found out about a month ago and do it all the time now - wash it then put it in whole; cover and cook on low 8 hours. When it's done, it cuts so easily and you just scoop out the seeds and squash meat. Perfection.). I usually mash it with garlic-parmesan butter, it's divine.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I stuff them, and they are amazing.

Cut the squash lengthways, scoop out the seeds and cut out some of the flesh to create a hollow. Place the halves in a roasting dish cut side up, brush with olive oil and season (salt, pepper, whatever dried herbs you like). Bake in the oven for 45-60 mins. For the stuffing, saute onion, garlic, the chopped flesh you removed earlier, mushrooms, eggplant, tomatoes (really, whatever veggies you like!). Once cooked remove from heat and add half a beaten egg (if small whole is possibly okay), dried sage and thyme, fresh basil, parsley (again, use whatever herbs you like), salt, pepper, and feta or goat's cheese (for a single pumpkin I use 60g of goat's cheese). Mix together then spoon into the pumpkin boats, you want it heaped. If you like, add some grated cheese and/or breadcrumbs to the top. Cover with foil and bake for a further 30-45 mins until pumpkin is tender right through.

You can do the same thing with eggplants.
  • kimw91
    kimw91 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Butternut squash chili
    Sautée red onion with squash. Add ground turkey and brown. Add spices (cinnamon, cumin, chili, paprika, salt, pepper) and tomato paste and fry for a couple of minutes before adding canned tomatoes and a little stock. Simmer over low heat until the squash is cooked through, then add beans (black or cannellini) and a couple hands full of spinach. Eat as it is or over rice!

Tagine
    In a deep pot, sautée a roughly chopped red onion until it starts to soften. Add cubed squash, eggplant and zucchini and fry for a couple of minutes. Brown chicken in large chunks (breast works fine, thigh is tastier) in a seperate pan. Once browned, add chicken to veg along with a good dose of Moroccan spices (I use a Ras el Hanout mix, you could use cinnamon, cumin, coriander, paprika) and a tsp of harissa paste. After a minute, add canned tomatoes and stock, just about enough to cover everything in the pan. Simmer for about 20 minutes till everything is cooked through. Serve with couscous or naan.

Lasagna
    No exact recipe, but basically you create layers of 1. pureed squash seasoned with salt, peper and nutmeg and crumbled goat cheese and 2. spinach with ricotta.
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I buy the precut kind. Mix with 1tbs olive oil, salt and I toss it with cinnamon and a smidge of Splenda. It's sweet and salty at the same time. My favorite when I have some is using pampered chef maple herb rub!!! Bake 400 for 30 min. Amazing.

I second this. I've cut butternut squash and the pre-cut is well worth the extra money. I also toss it with cinnamon and sweetener, though I've also cooked on the stove top with a little red wine vinegar mixed in as well.

Those who cut theirs, do you just use a really sharp knife or do you have and tips/suggestions? Or do you just presume its going to be difficult and do it anyway?
  • allycat5723
    allycat5723 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I am seriously trying every single one of these recipes. You are so awesome! Thank you for taking the time to respond.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I cook it the extra-lazy way. I take the whole squash, poke some holes in it, wrap it in foil, put it on a dish to catch drippings, and just bake it in the oven until I can poke a fork through it easily. The skin basically falls off -- or at least it's easy to peel away. The seeds and stringy stuff are easy to scoop out, too. You can divide it into meal-sized portions and freeze for later use.

I like to make pasta sauce, soup, etc. You can bake it with eggs and spices like you would for a pie but without the crust for a delicious dessert. There are lots of recipes online.

Now, to be "evil" and up it's calories and processed carbs, butternut squash makes great gnocchi, but let's not go there. Ooh, and homemade ravioli filling. Oh, no, pierogies, too. I better go put that bag of white flour under lock and key. I feel the urge to make filled dumplings ...
  • naillij77
    Options
    Roasted with cinnamon or stuffed are my two favourite ways. But I did find a butternut soup that is delicious.
    Add chopped squash along with 1 diced onion and 2 cloves of garlic to 1.5 box of chicken broth. Boil until soft. Purée. Then add 1 can of black beans, 1 cup of corn, 1/2 cup bacon or pancetta (optional but so good), 4 tsp of red wine vinegar and salt and pepper to taste. It makes a thick soup/chowder so you can always add more broth if needed.
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I cook it the extra-lazy way. I take the whole squash, poke some holes in it, wrap it in foil, put it on a dish to catch drippings, and just bake it in the oven until I can poke a fork through it easily. The skin basically falls off -- or at least it's easy to peel away. The seeds and stringy stuff are easy to scoop out, too. You can divide it into meal-sized portions and freeze for later use.

I like to make pasta sauce, soup, etc. You can bake it with eggs and spices like you would for a pie but without the crust for a delicious dessert. There are lots of recipes online.

Now, to be "evil" and up it's calories and processed carbs, butternut squash makes great gnocchi, but let's not go there. Ooh, and homemade ravioli filling. Oh, no, pierogies, too. I better go put that bag of white flour under lock and key. I feel the urge to make filled dumplings ...

Thank you! I will definitely try that way of cooking them next time.
  • krisalexine
    krisalexine Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Had a reallyyyyy delicious Butternut Squash Pad Thai last night (and the leftovers for lunch today) from this local place. I wish I'd taken a picture so I could post it. It was amazinggg!! I'm sure this isn't the exact recipe, but I want butternut squash pad thai everyday now! (And no, I'm not Thai lol)

http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/recipe/spaghetti-squash-pad-thai/