Fat burners??

Options
I am really struggling with keeping my appetite under control. I had used oxy elite fat burners a few years back (before they were taken off the market) and they really jump started my weight loss from 180 (post baby) to 140 lbs. I looked great and would love to get back to that. But I struggle with eating/eating disorders and need the edge of a fat burner in the beginning. Any good fat burners out there that people are using? I know it's not the best way but I need something to help my insane appetite. Starting weight is 160.

Replies

• Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    Many of the fat burners in them are able to be called appetite suppressants because they contain caffeine. And most of them contain no more caffeine than a cup of coffee. I would save the money and skip them.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    You're looking for an appetite suppressant since "fat burners" don't really exist. No pill burns fat.
    Exercise is a great appetite suppressant if you feel the urge. Also eating foods with more fiber.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    You should evaluate what your calorie goal is and if it is too low, start eating more. If you can eat more and still be in deficit, that will save you money and the pain of fat burners. If that's going to be too low, try eating filling foods like meat, rice, vegetables, etc and drink plenty of water.

I can help more if you provide your stats. Like your weight, goal weight, calorie limit, etc.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Drink a cup of coffee, its cheaper.
  • jaxblu143
    jaxblu143 Posts: 18
    Options
    Why did the oxy elites work so well? I've tried a bunch of other pills and nothing ever worked...but those worked so great. I know it's an easy fix but I don't know what else to do to squash my appetite at this point. I'm a type one diabetic so I know that has something to do with it.
  • theresaneal77
    theresaneal77 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Oats can surpress appetites. Apple cider vineger and green tea too.
  • Azexas
    edited March 2015
    Options
    jaxblu143 wrote: »
    Why did the oxy elites work so well? I've tried a bunch of other pills and nothing ever worked...but those worked so great. I know it's an easy fix but I don't know what else to do to squash my appetite at this point. I'm a type one diabetic so I know that has something to do with it.

I believe its because they contained Ephedrine (or ephedra- I don't remember which one got banned) which was like legal speed and has now been made illegal.
  • jaxblu143
    Options
    Troutsy wrote: »
    Many of the fat burners in them are able to be called appetite suppressants because they contain caffeine. And most of them contain no more caffeine than a cup of coffee. I would save the money and skip them.

I drink about 8 cups of coffee and 6 cups of green tea a day! Caffeine overload.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    Because it had ingredients that affected your liver? That's why it was pulled off the shelves.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• jaxblu143
    Options
    Forty6and2 wrote: »
    You should evaluate what your calorie goal is and if it is too low, start eating more. If you can eat more and still be in deficit, that will save you money and the pain of fat burners. If that's going to be too low, try eating filling foods like meat, rice, vegetables, etc and drink plenty of water.

I can help more if you provide your stats. Like your weight, goal weight, calorie limit, etc.

I'm 5'9 161 lbs medium frame and I'd like to be 140-142 Let me know if u need any other info! I appreciate it!
  • Forty6and2
    Options

I'm 5'9 161 lbs medium frame and I'd like to be 140-142 Let me know if u need any other info! I appreciate it!

Ok, since you're only looking to lose 20 lbs, maybe try changing your weight loss rate to a half pound per week. This will give you more calories overall (unless you're already at that rate) How many calories are you eating now?

• jaxblu143
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

I drink about 2 pots a day lol
  • Azexas
    Options
    How much protein and fiber are you getting daily? Those would help you stay fuller longer and maybe keep away some of the hunger.
  • jaxblu143
    Options

Ok, since you're only looking to lose 20 lbs, maybe try changing your weight loss rate to a half pound per week. This will give you more calories overall (unless you're already at that rate) How many calories are you eating now?

Mfp has me at 1645 but I have a hard time keeping it at that. But anymore and I feel like I won't lose. I try to stay at 1200 but then wind up binging at some point.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

I drink about 2 pots a day lol

Then I would try exercise. There's no magic pill, because if there was, we'd all be skinny. They're just out to empty your wallet. If you're hungry, slow down the aggressiveness of your loss, this isn't a race. Alternately, earn more calories through the exercise. You've got this!
  • Azexas
    Options

Mfp has me at 1645 but I have a hard time keeping it at that. But anymore and I feel like I won't lose. I try to stay at 1200 but then wind up binging at some point.

You're possibly binging because your body is telling you to eat more. Try hitting the 1645 and see how you feel. The 1200 could possibly be too low for your needs.
  • jaxblu143
    Options
    Troutsy wrote: »
    How much protein and fiber are you getting daily? Those would help you stay fuller longer and maybe keep away some of the hunger.

I eat a lot of fruits and veggies and drink a ton of water. I'm type one diabetic so when my insulin levels aren't in check I get crazy hungry. And when I diet they are never in check.
  • Forty6and2
    Options

Read this: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1235566

For real, eating 1645 will allow you to lose weight. I eat 1690 or so every day and I lose weight. Look at some of the most successful people on MFP, they eat at or above 1600 every day and they look dayum good!

This might put everything in a little more perspective: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Use this calculator to see your TDEE (how much you burn per day with activity) and this will also tell you how much you should eat per day based on that. I've used this calculator for years and it hasn't failed me
  • tycho_mx
    tycho_mx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    you might try examine dot com for peer reviewed supplement study summaries.
  • cdn_beaver
    cdn_beaver Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    You aren't eating the right foods if your insulin levels aren't in check while dieting. Try eating your 1645 calories a day with low carb foods. Eating more often as well so you don't end up binging.