Barley- help!

Options
osucristina
osucristina Posts: 197
I recently bought some quick cooking barley to try and branch out form my norm of brown rice. Now... I don't know anything to use it in! Does it cook up like rice? There's a chili recipe I found that I might try. But most of the recipes seem to be soups, and I'm not a soup fan. Anyone have any good barley recipes- or any ideas on how to eat it?! Thanks!

Replies

• eleonoreOU
    eleonoreOU Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    You can make a Barley salad....Just use the barley like pasta in a pasta salad.
  • evaplts
    evaplts Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    you can use it in cold salads as you would any other grain like brown rice or quinoa, or you can layer it (cooked - see instruction on package) with browned turkey sausage season to your taste and maybe sauerkraut in a casserole, and bake it until heated through - you can put a little low fat sourcream on top.
  • Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    If you can, check out the BBC Food website. There's a fab Braised Beer & Barley recepe on there. It's on of my hubbies all time fav.
  • stone12
    stone12 Posts: 4
    Options
    if i have left over barley, ill eat it for breakfast. it's kind of like oatmeal. ill put a little sweet almond milk in it and then add dried fruits(cranberries or blueberries or whatever i have) and nuts to it. it's pretty good, and you can do that with any leftover grain.
  • fitinyoga14
    fitinyoga14 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I eat lots of quick-cooking barley because I'm in college, and it's very cheap!! Here's a few things I do with it:

- Use it in homemade granola recipes
    -cook like oatmeal and add banana, cinnamon, nuts/nut butter, sweetener, etc for a hearty breakfast
    -cook and refrigerate until completely chilled. Next layer greek yogurt, fresh fruit, and cold barley in a parfait glass for a yogurt parfait!
    -Cook like pasta and add fresh, diced veggies, pasta salad seasoning, and italian dressing for barley salad!
    -add uncooked, plain barley to yogurt for a little added crunch. (sounds weird, but it's similar to unsweetened granola.)
    -use as a replacement for rice in side dishes
  • LadyMcBeth
    LadyMcBeth Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Try using barley in risotto instead of rice. It's got more nutrients in it and you won't be able to eat too much as it is really filling. Just remember to use lots of (lower carb) vegies and a mix of low salt stock and water. A tiny bit of butter or light sour cream at the end, and whatever herbs/ spices you prefer will make this a terrific meal.
  • RoadsterMomma
    RoadsterMomma Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    bumping for later- great ideas!