what made you FINALLY decide to get serious?

Options
We have all had our "this time I am really going to lose the weight and get healthy" moments/days/weeks.......(some of us have had them MANY times)....and yes, we are still fat. What was your defining moment (if any) that made you finally get serious? A photo? Comment? Health scare? Upcoming event? Nightmare? Curious to see what made you finally do it! Please share (photos are welcome too!)

Replies

• SunnyLu3
    SunnyLu3 Posts: 41
    Options
    I had a daughter who I don't want growing up with a negative attitude toward food, exercise, and body image the way I did. I don't want food tied up with emotions for her and I want her to be healthy physically and emotionally. My husband and I are working on making over our habits now so that we model it for her. Also I need to show healthy body image for her as she grows. Basically I'm getting my stuff together for my baby girl's sake and I can do anything for her :)
  • kimberlynicole79
    kimberlynicole79 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Went up to a size 12 recently. Do not want to keep buying clothes and have a ton in my closet that dont fit right now that would be awesome for summer!
  • simplykaylad
    simplykaylad Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I wanted to wear the clothes that I liked without being self conscious. I wanted to be fit and get some confidence.
  • MsBeverleyH
    MsBeverleyH Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    My coats and jackets barely fit me anymore...in a bad way.

After "trying" for months, I went to my doctor to see if maybe I had a medical issue holding me back. Nope! (Well, I have PCOS but I already knew about it.) Kicked me into gear when I realised that I just wasn't doing it properly.

And now on top of that I've just been asked to be the MC at my friend's wedding. I have to look half-decent if I'm going to be speaking to 50+ people!
  • leadixon
    leadixon Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I found out I had PCOS after a miscarriage last August. I started taking birth control and spironolactone to help regulate my cycles and lower androgen levels. My doctor had been urging me to get my fasting insulin checked since October but I kept putting it off. Finally at the end of January I had it drawn and results came back very high. She let me know I'm insulin resistant which is common for PCOS and that if I didn't lose weight I'd have diabetes by the time I'm 40. (I'm 33). She prescribed Metformin which I'm taking but I decided I didn't want to be one of those people who takes meds but doesn't make any lifestyle changes. So that day i did a ton of research and found that keto diet is supposed to work wonders for insulin resistance. It's been almost a month, lost around 11 pounds so far and feel so so so much better. No bloating no afternoon need a nap for me. Hehe
  • Spartanxi
    Spartanxi Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    1 Word: Breakup lol
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    My health. My dad had type II diabetes, stage IV kidney disease, heart disease, and metabolic syndrome. I had some blood work done about 2.5 years ago that very much illustrated that I was heading down that same path and doing so at alarming speed.

My journey hasn't been one to necessarily lose weight, it has been one of wellness...losing about 40 Lbs has been a nice bi-product but cleaning up my blood work has been the ultimate victory.

Unfortunately, my dad passed in December of 2013 at the ripe old age of 62...that is a constant reminder to me that I must remain vigilant in my lifestyle. I have a 4 y.o. and a 2 y.o. boys at home...I really want to be around to watch them grow into men. That wasn't going to happen the direction I was going.
  • rlsides
    rlsides Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I saw a picture of myself at my son's wedding and just started to cry, I could not believe I had let my self go that much. I have a great husband that has never commented on my weight, so it just kept climbing every year about 5 lbs, it adds up quickly. I was in a size 20 and now I am a size 12, working towards a 10
  • CarlaKrl
    CarlaKrl Posts: 3
    Options
    Feeling really down.not happy with what i see in the mirror. I dont really need to lose allot and this is the reason why I always fail. But this time i have to prove it to myself that I can do it. I really need to do it even if is just for short time. I have to win this inside fight
  • Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    ear39fjh4xjv.jpg

I don't have the exact picture that made me cringe and say "Holy eff, I gotta do something" but this was taken at the same weight.
  • brahmergirl
    brahmergirl Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    When I went to my doctor for my yearly exam and he said "what cholesterol medication do you want to be on?" and I said, uhhhh none... and he said well if you don't do something about your weight and cholesterol, I am going to have to put you on something. That was in February, in June I started running and watching my weight. I didn't run much during june and july but starting in August I got serious...then in January, I got serious about my eating habits...I am sitting at 26.6# lost since June when I started running...I have 13.4 more to go and I will be satisfied..anything after that is a bonus...today I was told by my class that I looked nice and I was getting "skinny". Two women in a restaurant complemented me and an elderly gentlemen told me " a hot woman in designer jeans makes my blood pressure go up"...My 19 y.o. son sitting next to me and his girlfriend wanted to climb under the table from embarassement, I wanted to kiss the man...so it is paying off and people are starting to take notice which a month ago, I never thought this day would happen...makes you feel good you "still got it"... ;)
  • brahmergirl
    brahmergirl Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Oh and every 5k that I run, my doctor is there with his wife, they started at the age of 51 running...so it is kinda cool to see him and we had a great visit this year about my health choices...
  • beejpowers
    beejpowers Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I was getting sick a lot. Sinus infections. Bronchitis. Every cold that came near my kids school. I went in to the doctor's again for a Z-pack. When I go in, they weigh me, like usual. But I had made it a point to never look at the scale. They wrote it down, I got my antibiotics.

In December of 2012, I accidentally looked. 310lbs. I'm 5'8" and was 34 at the time. I knew that if I didn't pay attention, I would die in front of my kids.

So I installed this app and bought a FitBit. About to hit 100lbs lost. Running a half marathon next month. And started weight training this month. I'm a different person in every way now.
  • christina_hunt7
    christina_hunt7 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I don't like myself and figure that I better do something so that I can like myself as I am. Cause it is not happening right now.
  • keeponlaughing
    keeponlaughing Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I have epilepsy. I have only been diagnosed for 3 years. The side affects of my meds are almost as bad as the siezure. So my neurologist and I decided to lower the dose of my meds by half. I started MFP as a way to cope with the withdraw symptoms. I was terrified of gaining even more weight as I withdrew from the drugs. I started dropping my dose Jan 1 and started MFP Jan 2. It has been a big help. I look better but more importantly I feel better about myself and the example I am setting for my children.
  • ffallings
    ffallings Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Two things. 1. A few less than flattering photos of myself 2. My children, especially my daughter. I want to set a good example for them to eat well and exercise. I want them to be proud of their Mom and I want to be healthy and have a good quality of life so that I can be here as long as possible to see them grow up and have their own families (my poor diet and lack of exercise was causing health issues)
  • DianeNage5556
    DianeNage5556 Posts: 3 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I found out in September I have auto immune hepatitis exercising and losing weight makes the condition better. The medication for it is a major weight gainer. Prednisone most people have gain weight on this medication but I have losted 20 pounds on it since September. So I been trying even harder not to gain any weight and so far I haven't.