Salad Flavor Combinations

Options
DeserveVictory
DeserveVictory Posts: 133 Member
I'm sure there have been many posts about salads. So please forgive me for making one more.

I like taking salads for lunches... but I tend to throw every vegetable in my fridge into my salad and then they all end up tasting the same. So I would like to change it up a bit and would like to ask everyone for their favorite veggie/protein/dressing combinations. Ultimately, I would like to stop relying on salad kits too!

Right now my all time favorite salad is the Sweet Kale salad kit with boiled egg whites or shredded chicken :)

Replies

• dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I get ideas from Mark Bittman's list of 101 salads. He combines so many unsual things and they are so good! Things I never think of? Like tomatoes, soy and sesame oil. Peaches and tomatoes. Blueberries and carrots. nytimes.com/2009/07/22/dining/22mlist.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

This is very good and filling.soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2014/06/california-roll-salad.html

California+Roll+Salad+2.jpg
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    One more this is a salad I would get in a restaurant that has since closed. Now I make it at home.soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2013/06/malibleu-beach-salad-with-grilled.html

Malibleu+Beach+Salad+5.JPG
  • tinascar2015
    tinascar2015 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    dklibert wrote: »
    I get ideas from Mark Bittman's list of 101 salads. He combines so many unsual things and they are so good! Things I never think of? Like tomatoes, soy and sesame oil. Peaches and tomatoes. Blueberries and carrots. nytimes.com/2009/07/22/dining/22mlist.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

This is very good and filling.soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2014/06/california-roll-salad.html

California+Roll+Salad+2.jpg

OMG, sooooo going to make that!! Thanks!
  • sslutes
    sslutes Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Another great combination is arugula ,blue cheese, dried cranberries and pecans with a balsamic dressing. Yummy .
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    Popcorn Salad is really good-4 to 5 cups popped popcorn,real bacon bits,water chestnuts,slivered almonds,celery,shred cheddar, brianna's poppyseed dressing.-Or what else is really good different combo is taking buffalo chicken and making a salad out of that.
  • Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I like to make a BLT salad with avocado. Also, tossing shredded chicken in bbq sauce and serving with ranch dressing over lettuce is delicious too.
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I use spinach instead of lettuce in my salads. Some days I have carrots, cucumbers, tomatoes, strawberries and blueberries with a flax oil dressing. Sometimes I omit the fruit and add a tuna packet and a hard boiled egg with some salt and pepper, no dressing. I like doing a chopped salad like subway would do with spinach, turkey slices, cucumbers, mushrooms, broccoli, and cauliflower in a big bowl and using a plastic pizza cutter to "chop" the salad up. Then I add some grape tomatoes and some green chile pepper salsa to it. Other times I will do the chopped salad, but use imitation crab or lobster meat instead of the turkey and use the flax oil dressing.

I think with salads, you are only limited by your imagination!

Oh, and grilling or sauteing shrimp the night before to add to my salad for lunch the next day is good too!
  • jessicasim92
    Options
    Lemon parsley bean salad for me. But if you want more leaf, I go for brussel sprout salad. Using recipes from the app called sidechef!
  • Cheri1218
    Cheri1218 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I had a fabulous one at Dave and Busters this weekend and recreated it at home. Spring mix lettuce, sliced apple, (candied) pecans, bleu cheese, and raspberry vinagrette. My version had all of the tasty stuff in moderation. extra lettuce and a lite version of the dressing. Was yummy!
  • gianna46
    gianna46 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I like baby lettuce/spring mix greens with red pepper, onion, cucumber, sunflower seeds, dried cranberries, and goat cheese topped with a balsamic vinaigrette. The cranberries add a touch of sweetness and the creamy goat cheese goes great with that and the sunflower seeds.