Vibram FiveFingers shoes

Tomhusker
Tomhusker Posts: 346 Member
edited September 27 in Fitness and Exercise
Just wondering if anybody has tried these shoes out. My son has been looking at them and told me about them. They look.... interesting.

Replies

• jldaley09
    jldaley09 Posts: 219 Member
    Lots of people here have them. My Biology teacher had some and wore them all the time, he said they were comfortable. Lots of water here in Idaho so lots of people have them. I don't have a reason to have any though.
  • Almost everyone at my University has a pair. I don't but they come out a lot when it rains or snows and I've seen many people running in them.
  • Meganne1982
    Meganne1982 Posts: 451
    I'm planning on gettin a pair- I've heard so much good about them, and pain in my feet is usually what signals the end of my run, so hopefully these shoes will let me go further :)
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    I've run 400 miles in them this year and feel like they are the best shoes I have ever had.

They do take some getting used to though since with zero cushion and zero support your foot will have to work much harder than in the past. Expect various muscle and tendon pains as the foot and lower leg strengthens.
  • Shizzman
    Shizzman Posts: 527 Member
    They're awesome. Extremely comfortable and make running fun along with just walking around/etc. Just take time to transition.
  • ValMol
    ValMol Posts: 4
    I've heard great things about them and not so great. I think the key in finding success with them is a very slow transition. I dont know if I will ever run in Vibrams, but I am working on transitioning down to a more minimal shoes. I am currently using Saucony Kinvaras on some of my weekly runs. I've also heard good things about Adidas Adizeros and Newtons. They are not as built up in the heel like a lot of motion control shoes. I would try something like that before heading directly to the Vibrams.
  • Mayor_West
    Mayor_West Posts: 246 Member
    I bought a pair last August and love them. I don't run, so I can't comment on that, but I do wear them while doing strength training, particularly with squats and deadlifts. The soles bring my feet closer to the ground, so I'm able to push off with more of my entire foot (as opposed to the ball of the foot), which increases my stability and power throughout the movement. The only drawbacks I can think of are they are not warm at all during the winter or when it rains, and I had to go to several different stores in order to find a pair in my size. At the time REI was the only retailer who was selling them, but now they seem to be more readily available.
  • I have a pair and I LOVE LOVE LOVE them. They are very comfy. My only compliant is that it takes a little while to get used to, but that is to be expected. I wear them at work and I am a CNA so I am on my feet ALL DAY. And after a 12 hour shift, my feet feel fine.I run in them, so Zumba in them, even yoga in them. They are awesome shoes and highly recommend them for working out.
  • AllyS7
    AllyS7 Posts: 480 Member
    I'm getting some once I reach my next goal. Whether my husband likes it or not! I'm going to start wearing them around to walk in. Then slowly bumping up my intensity and distance.
  • bettyboop573
    bettyboop573 Posts: 610 Member
    I've been curious about these shoes so great info :)
  • AllyS7
    AllyS7 Posts: 480 Member
    I'm getting some once I reach my next goal. Whether my husband likes it or not! I'm going to start wearing them around to walk in. Then slowly bumping up my intensity and distance.

PS. I got some and have got up to a mile in them. My calfs were sore the first time, but since then great. I love wearing them. I wear them around the house, to workout DVDs, yardwork outside, walk the dogs, short runs...No complaints. :)
  • bloodbank
    bloodbank Posts: 468 Member
    I have a pair of VFF Trek Sports. I probably couldn't live without them.
  • Shizzman
    Shizzman Posts: 527 Member
    Btw I just realized last night that I have to retire my first pair...the rubber wore out on one of the toes. So after a while you might want to start inspecting them, granted I had sewed the seam on the top of both of my KSOs so I do tend to use them for as long as I can so far...
  • I now have 4 pairs and they are all I wear. After reading they have helped people with back pain and haveing back pain for 12 years I was willing to give them a try. since my first pair I have started running, completed 2 5k's and a half marathon and lost 30lbs. I love these shoes!!!
This discussion has been closed.