Recipes for low-fat buttermilk?

Options
htimpaired
htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
I baked a carrot cake for my father's birthday and the recipe called for low fat buttermilk (in place of the oil). However, it called for 1/2 cup of the milk and my grocery store only sold it in quarts, so now I have all this buttermilk that I don't know what to do with. Any ideas/recipes?

Replies

• angiesteele
    angiesteele Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    not low fat but i love corn bread made with butter milk
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    Can you freeze it and use it for another time?

I hate having extra ingredients that I feel I must use or waste.
  • ali258
    ali258 Posts: 403
    Options
    When I need buttermilk for almost anything, I just make my own. Put 1 tablespoon lemon juice in a container that has a one-cup measurement and then fill up to the one-cup line with milk (or use the same proportions if you need more or less). I think I've done it with fat free milk, but I know it works with 1% and 2% milk. It has the same flavor of buttermilk for recipes, but you don't end up with all of the extra buttermilk.

But since you have extra buttermilk, you could make some healthy pancakes or cornbread!
  • mariabee
    mariabee Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    If you want chicken for dinner, you can marinade your chicken in the buttermilk with some spices and herbs. It's a really good tenderizer.
    I baked a carrot cake for my father's birthday and the recipe called for low fat buttermilk (in place of the oil). However, it called for 1/2 cup of the milk and my grocery store only sold it in quarts, so now I have all this buttermilk that I don't know what to do with. Any ideas/recipes?