cup measurement?

Options
Hi all,

Sorry if this sounds a bit stupid but:

What does the 'cup' measurement equate to?? Cups can be all different sizes so I was wondering if it equated to a specific measurement like a tsp = 5 ml. I am from the UK and you don't really see it used as a measurement so I assume its used in America?? Lots of stuff on the database is in 'cups' so it would be helpful to know!

Thanks for your help x x

Replies

• heididormanen
    Options
    1 cup(US) = 236.588 ml

Not sure if that helps.. but I tried :)
  • MoooveOverFluffy
    MoooveOverFluffy Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I just pulled this off the web: One US cup = 236.588238 milliliters

A cup is a standard unit of measure here in U.S. ;0)
  • MoooveOverFluffy
    MoooveOverFluffy Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    also, 48 US teaspoons= 1 US cup
  • busygirl1
    busygirl1 Posts: 217
    Options
    thats great, so 1 cup = 236ml, what does this mean when it is used to measure solids not liquids? Does it have a gram equivalent? e/g you see on the database 1 cup mushrooms/ lettuce etc???

Thanks again!
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    thats great, so 1 cup = 236ml, what does this mean when it is used to measure solids not liquids? Does it have a gram equivalent? e/g you see on the database 1 cup mushrooms/ lettuce etc???

Thanks again!

Careful - a cup is a volume measurement, while grams are weight. A cup of lettuce and a cup of rice will weigh very different amounts.

Maybe this thread will help: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/198623-measurements-weights-101
  • whiskey9890
    whiskey9890 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    a cup doesn't have an equivilant in grams i'm afraid as cups are a measure of volume and grams of weight, for example a cup of dried pasta will weigh a lot less than a cup of flour but they take up the same amount of space, a lot of supermarkets sell sets of measuring cups that you could use at a reasonable price
  • Manda1987
    Manda1987 Posts: 207
    Options
    In Canada, a cup is 250 mL. I didn't realize that cups were different in the U.S.! I'm going to have to be vigilant about that now...
  • Mindful_Trent
    Options
    In Canada, a cup is 250 mL. I didn't realize that cups were different in the U.S.! I'm going to have to be vigilant about that now...

More info than you ever wanted to know about the "cup": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cup_(unit)
  • marci355
    marci355 Posts: 292
    Options
    In the US, a cup is 8 ounces. Other have chimed in on other equivalents, so I thought I would add the ounces.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Options
    In the US, a cup is 8 ounces. Other have chimed in on other equivalents, so I thought I would add the ounces.

Just to avoid any confusion - that's 8 fluid ounces (volume), not weight ounces... (so tricky! why they had to use ounces for both weight and volume, I'll never understand... :laugh: )
  • tinovr
    tinovr Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    so now you know the exact conversions... but how does that help..

often times we have to add our foods here "by the cup" or some fraction thereof. A kitchen scale is useless, as it measures weight, not volume.

for me, I estimate 1 cup to be a bit smaller than my clenched fist. Since I'm a 6' man with fairly large hands, I'd say that "a cup" is roughly the size of an average person's clenched fist.

makes is somewhat easy to look at a plate with a pile of something on it, be it rice, beans, etc, and say, "that's about a cup" with some sort of confidence.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Options
    often times we have to add our foods here "by the cup" or some fraction thereof. A kitchen scale is useless, as it measures weight, not volume.

A kitchen scale is in no way useless - actually, it's much more accurate to weigh your food rather than measure it by volume. Most meats have serving sizes that are weight, not volume, and most foods that have labels have serving sizes in both weight and volume. Anything that's larger, chunky or inconsistent is much better measured with weight and not volume.

I weigh most of my foods. For a standard dinner, for example, it only takes me a minute to measure out my 4 oz of steak, to weigh my baked potato and to measure out 100g of broccoli (or however much I want to eat that night).

Really, the only time I use volume is in baking (flour, sugar, etc.) and liquids.
  • tinovr
    Options
    sorry.. let me clarify.. a kitchen scale is useless for measuring volume.

I too have a kitchen scale, but it doesn't help me when I have to input X grams of food into MFP and the item's serving size is listed in cups.
  • mirandamatte
    mirandamatte Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    1 cup = 8 ozs
  • Mindful_Trent
    Options
    sorry.. let me clarify.. a kitchen scale is useless for measuring volume.

I too have a kitchen scale, but it doesn't help me when I have to input X grams of food into MFP and the item's serving size is listed in cups.

Ok, that makes more sense. Sorry I misunderstood! I much prefer my kitchen scale to volume measurements, so if I can't find an entry by weight that I'm looking for, I'll just enter my own. But then, I'm an accountant - so I like to be precise. :wink: :laugh: Not everyone is bothered by rough estimates like I am.
  • snockers3112
    snockers3112 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I think the database should have UK and US measurements in it to avoid confusion.
  • pchann
    pchann Posts: 84
    Options

Just to avoid any confusion - that's 8 fluid ounces (volume), not weight ounces... (so tricky! why they had to use ounces for both weight and volume, I'll never understand... :laugh: )

Huh? Eight ounces of water is a cup of water. So if you use a one cup measurment you'll get eight ounces of water and visa versa.
  • busygirl1
    busygirl1 Posts: 217
    Options
    er OK, thats much more clear :huh: I guess I will stick to grams and do as the accountant does and add my own if its only in cups! I just assumed that since there were used so often they must be a standard measurement over there!

Thanks for you help guys :drinker:
  • tinovr
    Options
    no problem.. I'm a scientist, so sometimes I need to be precise, other times not... I figure the numbers here already have some amount of "error" in the estimation that I don't have to input to the nearest gram all the time...

I can see how, as an accountant, you need to be precise with the $$$. :laugh:
  • kadye
    kadye Posts: 136 Member
    Options

Huh? Eight ounces of water is a cup of water. So if you use a one cup measurment you'll get eight ounces of water and visa versa.

That's true, but if you use a one cup measurement for rice, you may not get 8oz of rice. That's why the OP said it's for fluid ounces, not weight ounces.