Emotional Eating

Options
I've been okay with healthy eating for a few weeks then I'd hit that day where I'm craving for a cheat meal but ends up having multiple cheat meals for days on end and going back to bingeing. And I can't seem to stop. Then feel really guilty afterwards I'd eat even more. Any tips on how to stop emotional eating? I'd be happy to be friends with you all. Thanks in advance

Replies

• procyonlupus
    procyonlupus Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Exercise, exercise, and more exercise. Whenever I get bummed out, I clean my entire house, do some pushups, or take the dog for a good long walk. It avoids emotional eating and I feel great after. If you're having a small snack craving, brush your teeth. No one wants a big brownie after they're minty fresh!
  • lindseyrenee8
    lindseyrenee8 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    For me, I binged after caving in to temptation. I felt I was never going to get those sweets again and I binged with the mindset that I'll start new tmw but tmw i still binged. Maybe you need to ask why you binge. I binged because I was dieting and denying what I love. I felt I would never have it again. I learned to portion control and stop dieting and I don't binge, as often. I'm still new at this but definitely it's psychological and only you can figure it out.
  • Allterrain_Lady
    Allterrain_Lady Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    From my experience, binging happens when I feel like I've already fell off the wagon. It's a "I'll never make any progress anyway. Might as well eat the entire pantry" kind of mindset.
    It is way harder to break free from this than it is to simply eat well and exercise.
    One of the key is to acknowledge your triggers (mine are boredom, mainly, and self loathing) and find the way to get physically and emotionnally busy when they happen.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Focus on the different feeling between a binge and true hunger. Feel the difference and become more aware of your body's signals.
    Yoga, deep breathing, or meditation can help with this.
    Also get some books by Geneen Roth.
  • julietadimova
    julietadimova Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm new to fitness pal, but I have experience with emotional eating (unfortunately :( ) I still haven't overcome it, but one of the methods I've found effective for me is taking a shower. It sounds funny but when I feel a binge coming along and is caused by my feeling sad or lonely it really helps. Research shows the feeling of the water imitates a hug :) Hope this helps!
  • inchwormbyinchworm
    inchwormbyinchworm Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    @Chocoloiza‌

Erika Kendall has a whole series on ending emotional eating, and the transformative art of self-care.

http://blackgirlsguidetoweightloss.com/tag/self-care/