Slowing it down....eating too fast.

Options
I eat to fast. A while back a friend's son said something to me about eating so fast. I was embarrassed. I know he wasn't meaning to be mean but I became very self conscious about it for awhile......but I'm back to eating fast again.

I don't realize it until I have finished my food that others who had started eating before me are still eating. I believe eating fast is also a cause of me eating more than I should or not feeling satisfied after finishing what I plan to eat.

Does anybody else have this problem and what have you done to resolve it. For those who eat slowly, is this something you trained yourself to do? How did you do it?

Appreciate any help!.

Replies

• DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I always finish faster than other people I'm eating with, and one of my friends always jokes that she knows she must be really hungry if she manages to finish before me. The only problem I've ever had with it is that it can sometimes be a bit boring waiting around at the end of a meal for everyone else to finish.

If you really want to try to slow yourself down you could try things like chewing more. Set a high number and count to it to make sure you've chewed each mouthful that many times. Put your knife and fork down between each mouthful, and don't pick them up until you've swallowed and your mouth is empty. Similarly, don't cut your food until you're done with each mouthful. If you've got a jug or water or something on the table you could focus on drinking more liquid, it'll take longer to finish your food and fill you up more. Maybe try to join in with conversation more; if you're talking you're not eating. Or only cook things like crab or mussels which take ages to eat because you have to get them out of the shell :P
  • senglishrose
    senglishrose Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    @DemoraFairy -- thanks. I know there are times that others don't finish before me because they are talking a lot and I'm not but I like your tips. Thanks, I'll try them!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You can make yourself eat slower, but it takes work. I have a friend that eats like he's starving, yet when he recognizes it, he has no problem slowing down.
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    This is something I also struggle with.

I try and put my cutlery down, or take a sip of water every few mouthfuls. But I really need to concentrate on doing this otherwise I start scoffing again.

One thing that has helped me is including things like sliced carrot and celery in my salads, as they take a lot of chewing. Stir fried vegetables are good too, as they keep a lot of their crispness, so also need more chewing.
  • senglishrose
    Options
    @BernadetteChurch‌ I'm glad I'm not the only one. I was wondering if maybe I should use a timer lol
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Horses can get serious intestinal issues if they "bolt" their food down (aka eat super fast). If a horse is bad at doing that, people will place large salt blocks in the feed tub so the horse has to move it around and "work" for it's food. They also put grazing muzzles on rather large horses that are out on pasture all the time so they can't eat huge mouthfuls.....

Sorry the title just reminded me of that stuff!

I have always eaten fast too. I've found the best thing to do is just sit down and breathe. Put away the phone, tv, etc. Focus on the food and recognize it. Identify it. Taste it. Don't just shovel it down and go. I mean I still eat fast.....and I don't overstuff myself anymore because all my food is measured out before hand. *shrug* good luck!
  • ocaudle8912
    Options
    I always mentally divide my plate. When I eat that half, I put down whatever it is and start chugging water for a little bit. Eventually I realize that I'm really not that hungry anymore and I package what I haven't eaten for a snack or another meal. Really helpful when I'm in a restaurant! :)
  • mhankosk
    mhankosk Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I am totally a fast eater. My dad was in the Marines, so he used to have to eat in like 15 minutes or something ridiculous, and he passed those habits onto us kids as well.

What I've found that helps is to put down the fork between each bite (or the food if its a hand held food... LOVE me a burrito). It causes me to slow down and make sure I chew and swallow all the food in my mouth before shoveling more in there. Also, try alternating between bites. Take a bite of protein, then 2 bites of veg. It makes the meal seem to last longer for me.
  • fattofit_fritch26
    fattofit_fritch26 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    When I was in college I would eat really fast because I generally had very little time in-between classes...I have made myself slow down by trying to do something else while eating. Checking/returning emails while eating my breakfast, going over stuff for work during lunch, and then dinner I've always eaten slow bc I am usually talking. It does make me so much more aware of when I am full compared to other times when I would eat quickly and not even notice or even enjoy my food.
  • ocaudle8912
    Options
    I also try eating with the other hand sometimes. My left hand is completely useless, so that REALLLY slows me down.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I've had to learn to slow myself down, too! It takes a while to become a habit. I take much smaller bites now. I just realized the other day, the protein bars I eat some times used to be like 4 bites and now they're like 15!

I also break up my meals. I've been making a big salad and then waiting awhile, usually ~2 hours, then have dinner. Or have half of my meal, then the other half later.
  • senglishrose
    Options
    Thank you everybody for your thoughts. You all just reminded me the reason I joined weight watchers many years ago was because I bought a package of Reese's peanut butter cups and I went to reach for the second cup and it was gone!!! I didn't realize I had already eaten it. Sad....but true. I'm getting great tips - thanks again!
  • SilverRose89
    SilverRose89 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    This is totally me as well. People have pointed it out and I'm very self conscious about it. I am making a conscious effort to slow it down and savour the food more.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i don't have this problem. i eat nice and slow, and take my time.

sup ladies?
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I started using chopsticks to slow down. It also means smaller bites. You really have no choice but to go slower with them while trying to balance smaller food on them or pick up bigger chunks LOL.
  • lemonlionheart
    lemonlionheart Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I've always been a fast eater. I think a big part of it for me is temperature- I like my hot food to be really hot, so I wanna eat it before it gets cold! Same with frozen stuff like ice-cream. I've found that if I order food that isn't hot such as salads or sushi I can eat a lot slower.
  • senglishrose
    Options
    I've always been a fast eater. I think a big part of it for me is temperature- I like my hot food to be really hot, so I wanna eat it before it gets cold! Same with frozen stuff like ice-cream. I've found that if I order food that isn't hot such as salads or sushi I can eat a lot slower.

That's a good point. I think I have eaten fast for that reason too!
  • caryb2015
    caryb2015 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Checking/returning emails while eating my breakfast, going over stuff for work during lunch, and then dinner I've always eaten slow bc I am usually talking.

"Distracted eating", which many warn against is the only thing I've found slows me down. If all I'm doing is eating then the meal is over very quickly. As I've pre-portioned out what I plan to eat at any given time I've decided after 55 years of eating too fast I'm not worrying about this habit any more.

• senglishrose
    Options
    Checking/returning emails while eating my breakfast, going over stuff for work during lunch, and then dinner I've always eaten slow bc I am usually talking.

"Distracted eating", which many warn against is the only thing I've found slows me down. If all I'm doing is eating then the meal is over very quickly. As I've pre-portioned out what I plan to eat at any given time I've decided after 55 years of eating too fast I'm not worrying about this habit any more.

Apparently you find your pre-portioned food satisfying. I'm trying to link perhaps my not feeling full with eating too fast. Maybe it's not.

• Katerina9408
    Katerina9408 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I eat to fast. A while back a friend's son said something to me about eating so fast. I was embarrassed. I know he wasn't meaning to be mean but I became very self conscious about it for awhile......but I'm back to eating fast again.

I don't realize it until I have finished my food that others who had started eating before me are still eating. I believe eating fast is also a cause of me eating more than I should or not feeling satisfied after finishing what I plan to eat.

Does anybody else have this problem and what have you done to resolve it. For those who eat slowly, is this something you trained yourself to do? How did you do it?

Appreciate any help!.

Slow eating ? Ain't nobody got time for this *kitten* :D It is all about portion control and cal in and out.