best way to cook fresh fish??

Options
laylainsko
laylainsko Posts: 15 Member
What's the best way to cook fresh fish and what spices are good to use?

Replies

• chezzabelle82
    chezzabelle82 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I cook salmon by sprinkling dill or tarragon on it then wrapping it in foil and popping it in the oven it tastes really yummy :) (hope that helps)
  • Nachise
    Nachise Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    It depends on the fish. As a rule, firm, flaky fish can be baked in a 400 degree oven. The rule of thumb is 10 minutes for every inch of thickness. This is particularly good with salmon. I mix Dijon mustard with cumin or thyme and spread it on salmon before I pop it in the oven.
  • Nachise
    Nachise Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    By the way, I put the fish on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. No stick. No mess.
  • raiden6
    raiden6 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Like Nachise says, it depends on the fish. But google the type of fish and see if you can steam it. It's usually the healthiest way of cooking.
  • kramrn77
    kramrn77 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Lemon pepper and a light pan fry is good for trout, catfish and other lighter fish.
    For salmon I tend to use the foil method in the oven or on the grill with everything from dill and tarragon to steak seasoning. Same for cod and other cold water fish.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    depends on the fish. i pan fry almost all of it :P add some garlic and lemon.... mmmmmm

hubby makes me salmon teriyaki fairly often.

I dont know where you live., but if you have red or black drum... YUM! thats my favorite and ill eat it anyways its made lol
  • GintleSpirit
    GintleSpirit Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    its its talapia or a flaky white fish, i find it easiest to blacken it with blackening season, or cajun seasoning, and pan cook it in olive oil. Otherwise I cook it in a creamy seafood pasta, basically boiling it in wine.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Pan fried, or barbecued with salt water and lemon
  • nesian_twin
    nesian_twin Posts: 198
    Options
    Dipped in egg and breadcrumb then pan fried in butter with salt, pepper, lemon pepper, sliced onions, make a gravy, yum i want fish now
  • tinascar2015
    tinascar2015 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    We love Paul Prudhomme's Salmon Magic or Seafood Magic spice blends. They're not too salty, so you can use more than you think, and they're delicious. I saute flaky fish and grill things like salmon and tuna, but I always use this spice blend. Here's a link to a copycat recipe if you want to save money or cut the salt even further:

food.com/recipe/seafood-magic-seasoning-copycat-250893http://
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Fatty fish (salmon, sardines etc.) gets grilled or cooked in a heavy cast-iron pan with minimal added fat (it ruins the flavor IMO). Non-fatty fish generally gets baked or steamed in the microwave. Herbs, spices and flavorings vary so much it's hard to say which I prefer, but I do like a firm white fish with olives, peppers, spanish chorizo, preserved lemons and something to soak up the white wine I steam it in (like orzo or potato or beans). All fish gets cooked very lightly in my house - salmon stays a bit raw in the very middle.
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I use codfish in fish stew. Sauté onions carrots and garlic, add seafood stock, frozen corn and cubed potatos. When potatos are done add the fish. The fish cooks quickly in the hot broth. I will put a cup of milk in it at the end.
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Also if you can get grouper it grills well. It's really good like that.
  • laylainsko
    laylainsko Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. All the info is very helpful