No Carb Snack Ideas

I am going to start a no carb diet tomorrow and I have all of my meals picked out, steak, chicken, sausage, egg whites, etc... but with the work out routine I am on now I snack alot throughout the day and need some ideas on 0 carb snacks. Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Replies

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    edited March 2015
    ............................................... nutritional deficiencies abound!

giphy.gif
    Mr. Moseby is sincere in his wishes.

Oh, and sausage likely has carbs (my maple ones do).
  • berlynnwall
    berlynnwall Posts: 669 Member
    Do you have diabetes? If not, eating no carbs is actually very bad for you. Even diabetics don't eat no carbs, just lower carb.
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    There is a poster in the low carb group that eats similarly to what you do. He posts often, you may want to try asking over there.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    No carb sounds like a nightmare. You wouldn't even be able to snack on nuts.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    If you really mean no carb, then you get to eat meat.
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Cheese: cheese curds, string cheese, slices, cubes, etc.
    Hard boiled eggs.
    Pickles & olives
    Pretty much any green veggies as net carbs will be super low.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Zero carbs is going to be one boring diet.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited March 2015
    Pepperoni slices! When I was LCing way back when, I loved these. Yes, they're salty but 14 slices were 140 calories in my brand (IIRC) and because it was so many slices, it went more slowly - I didn't feel like I was just having a couple of bites of something. And it felt like a treat, a "fun" food.

Your LC options will tend to be higher-calorie (overall) so if you're watching your calories as well, do be sure to count everything.
  • zero carbs will be awesome! MEAT!! MEAT!! and MORE MEAT!! but I'm trying to find stuff to snack on, so I guess pepperoni and jerky it is then....
  • i have a friend that did it for 3 months and his results were unbelieveable and he said that after the first week its not bad at all. He has steak and eggs every morning for breakfast then chicken breasts for lunch and steak for dinner. If I went low carb instead of 0 carb then my carb craving will still be there and thats not good.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    iweld1984 wrote: »
    zero carbs will be awesome! MEAT!! MEAT!! and MORE MEAT!! but I'm trying to find stuff to snack on, so I guess pepperoni and jerky it is then....
    Trollz.
  • LAWoman72
    edited March 2015
    Oh, also forgot to mention: sugar-free Jello. Very very very low in calories and I believe 1g of carbs per serving if you buy the cups.

I definitely wasn't all meat meat meat when I LCd. I was doing Atkins specifically and veggies are really supposed to be incorporated from the beginning, and increased over time. There is a "ladder" where you're supposed to add 5g/day of carbs in weekly increments until you hit the level where you're no longer losing, then cut back by 5g and stay there while you're losing. The very first "rung" is more LC veggies. You also have other non-meat options such as nuts (but again...for me at least, there was the question of calorie control, so watch that). And of course there are eggs, dairy.

But for me...I ultimately did have to keep my calories to a certain level anyway, which is why I ended up trashing the idea, controlling my carbs overall per meal but am by no means considered LC any more.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    LAWoman72 wrote: »
    Oh, also forgot to mention: sugar-free Jello. Very very very low in calories and I believe 1g of carbs per serving if you buy the cups.

1g =/= 0g
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    iweld1984 wrote: »
    i have a friend that did it for 3 months and his results were unbelieveable and he said that after the first week its not bad at all. He has steak and eggs every morning for breakfast then chicken breasts for lunch and steak for dinner. If I went low carb instead of 0 carb then my carb craving will still be there and thats not good.

Eggs contain .6 grams of carbohydrates each.
  • LAWoman72
    edited March 2015
    jkwolly wrote: »

1g =/= 0g

Correct. Zero does not equal one. However, it is very, very, very unlikely that any given person is doing literally zero carbs unless doing a meat fast. Particularly with newcomers, the term "NO carbs" will get tossed around quite a bit when they are actually aiming for just VLC.

Anyway, was only trying to help. Good luck, OP.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited March 2015
    jkwolly wrote: »

1g =/= 0g

Exactly. There is no such thing as a zero carb diet unless the only thing you're ever eating is plain meat. Eggs have carbs. Cheese has carbs. Nuts have carbs. Vegetables have carbs. And I hope you're planning to eat vegetables because life would be rough eating just "steak, chicken, sausage, egg whites, etc." Even Atkins has you eating up to 20 grams per day of carbs from vegetables at first.

OP, what you're looking to do is eat a LOW carb diet and that's fine. How few carbs you choose to eat are up to you but you should be eating at least a small amount of them.

As far as your original question, good low carb snacks would be things like beef jerky, hard boiled eggs, celery with nut butter, string cheese, cubed cheddar, almonds, macadamia nuts, sugar-free jello with real whipped cream, raw veggies (cucumber, celery, broccoli, cauliflower) dipped in a full fat creamy dressing like ranch or blue cheese, or hummus.