A Girl Question....I know!! I'm sorry, but I'm curious.....

Options
JesaGrace
JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
I know people are probably sick of these posts…so sorry in advance….

I am just wondering….when that “friend”(or should I say enemy) comes to visit every month…do you change up your diet, or make sure that you have more of one thing, to keep your energy up….I feel yuck at least two of the days…sluggish and lazy….I just didn’t know what everyone does….and I don’t mean like an extra coffee to keep you feeling good…I mean something with nutrients that’s good for your body during that time or do you raise your calories or something like that or what…if this makes any sense….

Replies

• denise980
    denise980 Posts: 296
    Options
    During TOM, you are actually loosing a lot of iron and iron defiency makes you lethargic. I would try and take a multivitamin that has 100% of the iron you need. If you eat red meat, it is also a good source of iron. If you are a vegetarian, then you might want to eat spinach.
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    i eat what i normally eat and i'm *sure* to maintain my workout schedule. i noticed over the christmas holidays what an effect the working out had on my 'auntie flo'. over the holiday, i missed all of my workouts and was eating crap and i felt crampy, bloated and lethargic like you wouldn't believe. next month when i was back on my schedule, it was almost like aunt flo wasn't even around, and that's how i'd like to keep it!

i suggest keep to your training and drink a lot of water.
  • RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    Options
    I crave more carbs during TOM.
  • teanabean
    teanabean Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I eat more Iron and allow myself some chocolate but I make sure to continue exercising because it actually helps with my cramps believe it or not. And I have killer cramps.
  • staciekins
    staciekins Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    During TOM, you are actually loosing a lot of iron and iron defiency makes you lethargic. I would try and take a multivitamin that has 100% of the iron you need. If you eat red meat, it is also a good source of iron. If you are a vegetarian, then you might want to eat spinach.

My thoughts exactly. I am anemic, so I get extra tired and weak during TOM. I take multi's everyday, but also have high potency iron for TOM when I am feeling super bad...
  • sarah307
    sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    i just let my body do whatever -
    i try to stay in my calorie range but I do make sure I go on longer walks instead of hardcore workouts - walking helps with cramps! but def. take a multivitamin! I take one every day anyways since I don't eat red meat..
  • riley711
    riley711 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    During TOM, my body totally craves BEEF!!! And since during TOM you're losing iron and nutrients that beef provides, I give in and eat plenty of beef...steaks, burgers, meatballs, beef fajitas, tacos, etc. Just about anything where the main ingredient is beef. That always perks me up!!
  • adellepuppy
    adellepuppy Posts: 130
    Options
    I do all the same stuff I do every other day.
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    Keep water, fiber, and protein intake high. If you get cravings, allow yourself small treats (pre-portioned dark chocolate, anyone?). Maintain your exercise schedule. The bloating will go away and you will walk away feeling pounds lighter.
  • brneydgrlie
    brneydgrlie Posts: 464 Member
    Options

You can take a regular multivitamin most of the time, but take a prenatal vitamin the week before and during your TOM. That should take care of any issues you are having.
  • denise980
    denise980 Posts: 296
    Options

You can take a regular multivitamin most of the time, but take a prenatal vitamin the week before and during your TOM. That should take care of any issues you are having.

Oh I definitely take the multivitamin all the time. But during TOM I sometimes take two of it, to help with the loss of iron. Even though going over 100% is sometimes not good, since you excrete the extra nutrients
  • tjradd73
    tjradd73 Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    UP your protein to get more iron, LOWER your sodium to help with the bloat, and drink tons of water!! also be sure to get in your workouts still...this will help give you an energy boost every day!
  • brneydgrlie
    brneydgrlie Posts: 464 Member
    Options

Oh I definitely take the multivitamin all the time. But during TOM I sometimes take two of it, to help with the loss of iron. Even though going over 100% is sometimes not good, since you excrete the extra nutrients

The prenatal vitamin has higher amounts of everything, and is balanced. So you don't have to worry about dosage like you might when doubling up on a regular multivitamin.
  • lily1972
    lily1972 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    One thing that I finds helps a lot is integrating legumes like chick peas and red kidney beans to my food to increase my iron, protein and fibre intakes (they are superfoods!!). If your TOM (time of the month) makes you hungrier, try to work out anyway (my two fist days are a total drag too!) to eat back your calories. And I find that doing abs helps shorten the week...

Good luck! :ohwell:
  • nurseaim
    nurseaim Posts: 146
    Options

That's exactly what I was gonna say, I'd also try to eat foods that are higher in iron, such as spinach, red meat, cheerios, liver...etc. Good Luck! TOM, is visiting me as well:(
  • Tic_Tac_Toe
    Tic_Tac_Toe Posts: 33
    Options
    I am on TOM right now and it sucks!! I was really bad last night, skipped the gym & ate bad :o( I am trying to make up for it today. Hopefully, next month is better. I do need start taking my multivitamin again.
  • SlowlyLosingLolita
    SlowlyLosingLolita Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Oh,gosh. That time is always a big downfall for me. I seem to want to eat everything carb related. Noodles are my downfall. Last month I ate two whole boxes of wheat thins without even realizing it. :noway:
    I am blessed though,because mine only lasts for like two days.