Difficulty Eating Enough

Options
I have tried to bulk up off and on for the past several years. All of my diets have failed, mostly because I'm eating to the point where I feel sick, but never seem to put on weight.
  • I've tried eating a series of small meals throughout the day. This works well on weekends, but I'm too busy to stop and eat six times a day when I'm at work.
  • I've tried eating three meals and snacking in between.
  • I've tried high calorie, high protein, high carb, and high fat diets.
  • I've tried supplements, protein powders, etc.
  • I'm vegetarian, but I once tried switching back to meat in order to gain weight (which didn't have any real effect). I'm not really interested in trying this again.

The big problem is that I'm never hungry. I've tried force feeding myself to the point where I'm constantly nauseated and that doesn't work. I get full easily. I stay full for a long time.

I always eat full dairy. I've tried adding Nutella to everything. I've tried adding a lot of nuts, avocados, complex carbs etc. but all of the foods recommended elsewhere on the forum make me feel really full and nauseated.

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Ice cream? Cookies? What about drinking your calories (milk, juice, beer, soda, whatever)? It's not pretty, but it could help you get to your goal.
  • shultzjw
    shultzjw Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I hate sweets. I've tried sugar-heavy foods, but they make me feel miserable. I make sure everything I drink has calories (milk, gatorade, juice, smoothies, etc.) I do my best to fill up on calories that way, since eating enough is so hard.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    what about steak, pasta, potatoes, bagels, etc...? A four ounce serving of linguine is 400 calories and I can house that down in about ten minutes, no problem...
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    Ice cream? Cookies? What about drinking your calories (milk, juice, beer, soda, whatever)? It's not pretty, but it could help you get to your goal.
    This.

Also wine, cheese and peanut butter.

Don't have to be hungry to pound down a nice bottle of Malbec. Hellooooo 600 calories and done.

But then I am usually hungry after, so hellooo cheese.
  • BoxingChick
    BoxingChick Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    how many calories are you trying to reach?
  • megablackk1d
    megablackk1d Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    You could prepare your meals in advance for your work days
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    I wish I had that problem *sigh*

Eat Cheetos!
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    I wish I had that problem *sigh*

Eat Cheetos!
    I go crazy for Doritos.
  • coachmike24fit
    coachmike24fit Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    There are lot of details you are missing in your approach. your training plays a factor when attempting to add on size as well as your nutritional intake. What is your training like when you are attempting to add on size? What is your basal metabolic, body fat percentage, lean muscle, and total daily energy expenditure? If you want quality gains and you want to keep those gains it takes a lot more than just "eating a lot of food" and if you use work as an excuse as to why you can't get the required calories don't expect any gains since you spend 70% of your time at work.
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Full Fat Cheese!! High in calories, High in protein.

/End Thread
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    OP, Is that a Newfie pic?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    runner475 wrote: »

stay on topic please.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

stay on topic please.

Bwahahahaha!!
  • jaydoggswift
    Options
    same problem here,

i feel nauseous, especially from eating lots of clean carbs. Especially when i've been hitting my goal of 3000kcal for several days in a row, i just feel very full and could go a whole day without eating anything.

What helps me is:
    1. Workout - I just get hungry as hell after a workout. you shouldn't go too far though. If your vomiting from heavy squats, you sure can't eat anything after.
    2. Fat - Add fat to everything you eat! put 2-3 spoons of olive oil in your pasta sauce, spread dat butter on your bread, put cream in everything you eat.
      Fat is the most dense type of energysource you can get, so it helps you reaching your goals without stuffing you too much.
    3. conditioning - during my first bulk i was struggling with 2500kcal a day. Now i'm hungry in the evening when i don't eat at least that. Your Body adapts to the higher calory intakes, especially when you build muscle. It get's better, believe me!
  • Ilikelamps
    Ilikelamps Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

stay on topic please.

LOL

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    same problem here,

i feel nauseous, especially from eating lots of clean carbs. Especially when i've been hitting my goal of 3000kcal for several days in a row, i just feel very full and could go a whole day without eating anything.

What helps me is:
    1. Workout - I just get hungry as hell after a workout. you shouldn't go too far though. If your vomiting from heavy squats, you sure can't eat anything after.
    2. Fat - Add fat to everything you eat! put 2-3 spoons of olive oil in your pasta sauce, spread dat butter on your bread, put cream in everything you eat.
      Fat is the most dense type of energysource you can get, so it helps you reaching your goals without stuffing you too much.
    3. conditioning - during my first bulk i was struggling with 2500kcal a day. Now i'm hungry in the evening when i don't eat at least that. Your Body adapts to the higher calory intakes, especially when you build muscle. It get's better, believe me!

stop fussing about "clean carbs"

Do you really think eating to the point that makes yourself sick just so you can say "I ate clean" is REALLY any better?

Eat higher calorie less dense food.
    3K shouldn't be an issue.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    same problem here,

What helps me is:

stop fussing about "clean carbs"

Do you really think eating to the point that makes yourself sick just so you can say "I ate clean" is REALLY any better?

Eat higher calorie less dense food.
    3K shouldn't be an issue.

for realz I can hit 3K easy ….
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    <<<<<<<<<< fatty mcfatty here at 2K today and I didn't eat almost ALL day- that was 1500 at dinner alone.