Sometimes It comes Down To This

Options
EDesq
EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
What to do when you have Competing Interests. That's what eating healthy( Healthier) is all about, making choices, hopefully the right choices at that time. I eat beef maybe once a week, so is it worth "stressing" over?

Tomorrow I plan to have a Cheeseburger for lunch. My quandary is whether to buy a Double Cheeseburger from McDonald's or make My own. Here it is in a nutshell of what I measure:

McDonald's: 440 Calories; 1150 mg Sodium; Cost: $1.07
(3.5 oz 80/20 Beef, Cooked)
Me: 439 Calories; 798 mg Sodium; Cost: approx. $3.00+Labor
(5 oz Raw 90/10 Beef) ( If I add Pickles, Sodium= 1000mg)

Replies

• Hernandezedw
    Hernandezedw Posts: 284
    Options
    I'd go with the home one. Probably will be more filling. Lower sodium is often best.
  • doyoumeangreen
    doyoumeangreen Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    There is nothing better than eating something you made yourself. You appreciate the ingredients (add salt pepper & garlic powder to your patties), grill it just the way you like, and you can decide if you want it on a bun or not. Maybe think of doing one patty and one grilled portabello, top with cheddar and tons of lettuce and tomato... maybe you won't even miss the bun and then save even more calories??? :)

To me, NOTHING beats something I've made at home. That way, I can savor every bit, and I earned it because I worked for it.
  • mmiley1111
    mmiley1111 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I vote McDonalds for the money...
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Make you own ... you get more for your buck (5 oz. vs 3.5) AND less too (wow the sodium) PLUS you could load it up with all kinds of good for you veggie toppings they don't have at Mickey D's!
    My .02 and hey, you asked.
  • nosleepinBrooklyn
    nosleepinBrooklyn Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Oh boy, go for the home version...

Take a look at this time lapse of a mcD's burger over 6 months...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSIcPiIAeIE
  • EDesq
    Options
    There is nothing better than eating something you made yourself. You appreciate the ingredients (add salt pepper & garlic powder to your patties), grill it just the way you like, and you can decide if you want it on a bun or not. Maybe think of doing one patty and one grilled portabello, top with cheddar and tons of lettuce and tomato... maybe you won't even miss the bun and then save even more calories??? :)

To me, NOTHING beats something I've made at home. That way, I can savor every bit, and I earned it because I worked for it.

Right about the Garlic...gotta have that!
  • EDesq
    Options
    I vote McDonalds for the money...

Right about the money...also, clean up.
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    personally McDonalds burgers make me sick just thinking about them! I love a good home grilled burger though. Some people, on the other hand, really LIKE a McDonald's burger. It's so close, go with the one you will ENJOY more! You're not gonna stick with eating within range and logging etc if you are not eating things you enjoy! I would feel gross and unhappy with my "splurge" meal if I "wasted it" McDonalds. Now... some Wendy's chicken nuggets and a frosty on the other hand! I would enjoy it enough to do it vs grilling up some chicken at home :)
  • EDesq
    Options
    Oh boy, go for the home version...

Take a look at this time lapse of a mcD's burger over 6 months...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSIcPiIAeIE

OK, LOL, BUT I plan to Eat this w/in 15 minutes of coming off the fryer and it WILL be OUT of Me within 5 hrs of mastication.
  • LillysGranny
    LillysGranny Posts: 431
    Options
    Personally, I'd take the 5 oz patty for the same calories and less sodium....or I'd make my own 3.5 oz and save a few calories. Always better to make your own food than trust big business to be worried about your health rather than their profits.
  • doyoumeangreen
    doyoumeangreen Posts: 32 Member
    Options

Right about the Garlic...gotta have that!

HECK YES!!
  • EDesq
    Options
    personally McDonalds burgers make me sick just thinking about them! I love a good home grilled burger though. Some people, on the other hand, really LIKE a McDonald's burger. It's so close, go with the one you will ENJOY more! You're not gonna stick with eating within range and logging etc if you are not eating things you enjoy! I would feel gross and unhappy with my "splurge" meal if I "wasted it" McDonalds. Now... some Wendy's chicken nuggets and a frosty on the other hand! I would enjoy it enough to do it vs grilling up some chicken at home :)

I totally get ya. But no way I can eat a prefabricated-chicken fat "nugget"...and something about Wendy's frostys have Me farting all day. Can't work like that...LOL