Feeling like I don't want to eat?!

Options
That sounds crazy. But true. I started a good workout routine on Sunday (I know, it's not even a week but I had to start somewhere!) And I'm walking 5ish miles a day. Yesterday I started the 30DayShred.... and I feel fantastic. I KNOW that not consuming enough calories is bad (not as bad as eating too many calories, but y'know) but I don't feel hungry. I don't feel like eating.... weird? Any thoughts?

Replies

• Jmartinturner
    Jmartinturner Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    hmmm...are you drinking a lot of water?
  • Hernandezedw
    Hernandezedw Posts: 284
    Options
    I find myself to be quite hungry, quite often.
  • indyam
    indyam Posts: 18
    Options
    I am... eight or so pint glasses a day! I mean, I'm eating. But for example, the salad I had at lunch with grilled chicken and dressing AND a yogurt? I'm half way through the salad and just... meh!
  • liftnat
    liftnat Posts: 8
    Options
    Are you at least getting 1200 calories a day? If so, then I wouldn't worry about it.
  • Furrytreats
    Furrytreats Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Depending on where I am in my cycle sometimes I can be far less hungry than other times, but pretty much I can happily stuff my face.
  • wheelieblade
    wheelieblade Posts: 323
    Options
    I'm not really getting hungry either
  • Angela_MA
    Angela_MA Posts: 260
    Options
    I know for me when I first started out I was not hungry either and did not eat unless I was hungry. This ended up hurting me a couple weeks down the road when I was pushing through my routine; I was exhausted. Since then I upped my calories and work outs have been a breeze. I do still eat when I am hungry, but I think it is more of the content of the food that helps keep me motoring on! :) Protein and complex carbs are the ticket!! :)
    I do think it will be different for everyone though, this is just my personal experience with feeling no hunger.
  • Sarah4825
    Sarah4825 Posts: 2
    Options
    Try eating less more often. Like 5 meals a day versus 3. It is definitely important to get your calories, but I can totally understand not being hungry sometimes. Sounds like you are off to an awesome start, keep it up!
  • CassieLEO
    CassieLEO Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    I know I'm usually famished and I do 1 to 2 hours of cardio a night. Maybe have a couple tbs of peanut butter and some almonds?
  • dhammond5
    dhammond5 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I try to only eat when I am hungry, unless I am way under my calorie goal for the day.
  • ericalynn104
    ericalynn104 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. Since I started this whole thing I haven't been as hungry either. Last night even I was only at 1000 calories and I wasn't hungry. I don't feel like I'm starvation mode.. It's just weird.
  • smartin0619
    smartin0619 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    That sounds crazy. But true. I started a good workout routine on Sunday (I know, it's not even a week but I had to start somewhere!) And I'm walking 5ish miles a day. Yesterday I started the 30DayShred.... and I feel fantastic. I KNOW that not consuming enough calories is bad (not as bad as eating too many calories, but y'know) but I don't feel hungry. I don't feel like eating.... weird? Any thoughts?

I LOVE the 30 day shred!! Maybe your stomach is shrinking :bigsmile: hehehe! Congrats on the progress you've made. We do have to start some where!
  • Tzavush
    Tzavush Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I am... eight or so pint glasses a day! I mean, I'm eating. But for example, the salad I had at lunch with grilled chicken and dressing AND a yogurt? I'm half way through the salad and just... meh!

I have had similar experiences. Since I started eating better choices, I have found that i eat half and then I need to put the rest away. I usually end up getting two meals out of everything, and I don't feel HUNGRY.
    maybe its a good thing.
    Just try to get your 1200 cals in.
  • anana16
    anana16 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    This may be wrong, but I was always taught that: If you wait to eat until your stomach starts growling, then you've waited too long and your body is starting to go into starvation mode. Eating after the stomach growl means that much of what you do eat will be quickly converted to storage, instead of being metabolized.

So try just carrying some granola bars in your bag and eat them at scheduled times to prevent that growling. Small healthy snacks are good because you can talk yourself into eating it because it's not a full meal.

On the other hand (full disclosure)...everything I just said might be completely wrong, so what do you other members think?
  • indyam
    indyam Posts: 18
    Options
    For anybody interested I just got off the phone w/ a personal trainer (a good friend of mine who is also competing to go to the Olympics in London for discus throwing!).

She said the following things:
    A) The 30 Day Shred is a good home workout, built on sound fitness principles.
    But: Despite the fact that Jillian says 'there are no modifications' to some of the moves, you have to REALLY pay attention to your body and modify so as not to do personal injury. (Her advice was specific to my lack of ability to do pushups. She suggested planting my hands on the edge of the sofa and doing them that way. If that was not good, then to try the wall).
    B) The combination of 4-5 mi walk daily AND the 30 Day Shred is a good one. (My current routine) and diversifies the areas of my body for an overall workout.
    C) If I don't feel fatigued then I should only eat when I'm hungry but do not go below 1200 calories. Not eating those extra calories is what helps one shed weight (duh!) but not feeling hungry, she says, is a good thing because my body is changing the way it moves, takes-in, and uses food.
    D) All of these work outs are dependent (as we all know) on our abilities to stick to them.
    E) (most importantly) When trying to shed weight, focus 60% of your energy on diet modification and 40% on exercise.
    AND
    F) Set lots of mini goals to help you get there.

She's wonderful. Can't wait to GO TO LONDON and root for her! (Fingers crossed!)