I ALMOST broke for the first time in 35 Days

Options
tilakpat520
tilakpat520 Posts: 7 Member
edited March 2015 in Food and Nutrition
I've been using Myfitnesspal for 35 days now. I started out at 243lbs and in 35 days I'm down to 226lbs . Granted most of that was just water weight and its slowed down significantly since the past 2 weeks. But it's still working like a charm. Slow but steady. I've haven't broken or binged a single day since I've started. I weigh and measure everything I eat. Well last night was honestly the hardest night for me yet. There I was finished with my late night snack which I usually have around 8-9ish before bed so I can sleep better. It was a bowl of cereal and skim milk. And right there infront of me was this huge packet of double stuffed Oreos my father had left out. In 35 days I haven't even touched a cookie. (The calories in them are just not worth it to me) I had some milk left and all I wanted to do was down that whole packet of cookies, everyone in my house was asleep....who would know....I'd just throw that packet out after I was done and say I have no clue where it went. I legit sat there fighting with my mind for a good 5 mins, staring at that packet, heart racing....honestly I never knew that could happen. But I got up real quick and spilled all the milk out.....and then the toughts were gone....just like that as if it hadn't happened. It was honestly the most weirdest thing I've ever had to go through like I was some sort of drug addict or something. I didn't like that at all. Sorry long story but I just had to put it out there that I didn't break!! I stuck to it! Maybe once a week to prevent this from happening I'll indulge in a cookie or 2. Thanks for reading my lame story haha

Replies

• callywan
    callywan Posts: 6
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! We all struggle, but it's great to be reminded that we CAN resist and we WILL feel better for it. I just started, barely on a two week streak, and my roommate brought home an entire sheet cake that has been sitting on the counter all week. I will be perfectly honest: some days I've resisted and some days I haven't... It's so hard when it's just right there!! Thanks for sharing your victory:)
    Congrats on your over-a-month streak! Keep up the progress!
  • iamfat1967
    iamfat1967 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Not a lame story at all! The past few days I have felt the same way. I've managed not to scarf down everything as I keep thinking about how much I would regret it but it's not easy. Nice to read stories I can relate to. Hang in there!
  • HotPotato22
    Options
    I have this struggle daily! I don't keep anything like this in the house because I don't trust myself. When I reaaaally feel like I want to break my diet I have to drive to get it and that usually discourages me
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with one cookie or two though. You got to get rid of the 'all the box or nothing' mentality... it's just not sustainable. Personally, I do much better in the long run if I have a chocolate or a bit of ice cream regularly... or it's pretty much guaranteed that if I restrict myself, I will eat a whole box next time I have some.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I'm all for moderation, but something just aren't worth the calories. I haven't had a piece of pie, cake, a cookie, candy or anything else of the type since Decemeber 9th, 2014. And I don't miss them. It's not even something I look at any more.

But I'm retardedly "strict" on myself and after about a 28 day period of "none" of something I don't want them. They don't even sound good any more.

But, good for you for not eating the whole pack. Seriously, it's a huge milestone, from one binge eater to another.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    OP that sounds like a great thing you did. You not only conquered the urge to eat over goal, but you realized that indulging once in a while might help prevent the same situation in the future. Well done!
  • holycaffeinebatman
    holycaffeinebatman Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    There's nothing wrong with one cookie or two though. You got to get rid of the 'all the box or nothing' mentality... it's just not sustainable. Personally, I do much better in the long run if I have a chocolate or a bit of ice cream regularly... or it's pretty much guaranteed that if I restrict myself, I will eat a whole box next time I have some.

I agree with Franc, I don't think just entirely avoiding junk will work in the long term. You still have to set boundaries, obviously, but allowing yourself small concessions once in a while will help you come to terms with a lifestyle change, not just a diet.

I am a fellow binge eater, and I've spent the last couple of weeks struggling (SOMEONE bought ice cream and left it in my freezer). Last night I absolutely *needed* ice cream for whatever reason, and instead chugged a bottle of water and set myself a time restriction: If I was still hungry enough to eat ice cream at 8pm, I would eat some. By the time it came around, I didn't even really care any more.

Congratulations on your losses, and best of luck to you in the future :)
  • Sewilban
    Sewilban Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    OP that sounds like a great thing you did. You not only conquered the urge to eat over goal, but you realized that indulging once in a while might help prevent the same situation in the future. Well done!
    Ditto! Congrats, that's a wonderful victory!
  • tilakpat520
    tilakpat520 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies of encouragement !! Glad to hear I'm not the only one that has urges like these.
  • Nataliegetfit
    Nataliegetfit Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    The worst thing is a bag or box of something near me, even if it's a "healthy" snack, it it's out of a bag or box, you just keep eating it. I am vowing to take a serving out of the package, put the package away and only eat the serving. It ends up being just mindless eating, I have caught myself doing it a couple times, I am like, hey, I'm not hungry why am I eating this, it doesn't even taste that great. If I do eat a splurge type of item, I make sure it's worth the extra calories to me, and make sure it's within my calories.
    Congratulations on your oreo victory. It's very hard to just eat one or two, it makes you want more, especially with milk.