zucchini+noodles=zoodles!

Options
megandhight
megandhight Posts: 89 Member
Have you ever made zoodles? I am going to try making them but wanted some recipe ideas first.

Replies

• RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    I was just planning to Google this tonight, as I have spaghetti sauce simmering on the stove. I've been wondering, as well.
  • megandhight
    Options
    I found a vegetti at Walmart and it makes Noddles out of vegetables it was only $15 bucks so I picked it up and now I am curious. My mom is Italian so every other Sunday when we gave family day they always make a huge pasta dish with homemade sauce. I always look forward to it but since eating healthy I have been trying to find a healthier choice for pasta. I'm really hoping this taste good.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    I think you can use them in any recipe that calls for pasta. I found a video on 5 ways to make them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEIo23Ur4pM
  • megandhight
    Options
    I watched that it just doesn't give any ideas on how to cook them. I have found recipes for sauteing them in a pan with olive oil and cooking them in the microwave for 2 mins. But other than that I have no clue as how to cook the zoodles lol
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I usually stir fry them but you can steam or nuke them too. I suppose you could even roast them if you wanted. I love them!
  • Ideabaker
    Ideabaker Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I just put mine in a bowl in the microwave and zap them for about two to three minutes; not too long as that will make them soggy. Then I toss on whatever sauce I've prepared, and eat. A friend of mine steams hers; again, not too long as to make them too soggy. Super easy, and a tasty alternative to pasta if you are looking to reduce calories or carbs, or just to pump up your veggie intake!
  • Mynx73
    Mynx73 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    When I'm doing mine with a basic Bolognese style sauce I don't even cook mine. It's nice to have that little bit of ... well it's not even crunch - I guess it's the same as al dente. I find the heat of the sauce is enough. But tossed in a pan with some olive oil and lemon would also be delish.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Two sites I have found with some recipes are inspiralized.com and skinnytaste.com.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i found the zucchini so soft, cooking it isnt really necessary, other than to maybe warm it up. i made a salad from it with a vinegar dressing, red onions and..... something else i forget now, but it was good LOL
  • megandhight
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas!
  • jessicasim92
    Options
    Just search zucchini in this app called sidechef and you'll get a zucchini fettuccine recipe! It uses cauliflower to make an alfredo sauce.
  • s_pekz
    s_pekz Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Pesto and shrimp. My go to
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I've been feeding a heavy zoodle habit lately. I actually like to use them to bulk up a serving of regular spaghetti. And from there I use them anyway that I would use the pasta. I usually sprinkle them with a little salt & pop 'em in a warm oven to soften while I prep the rest of the meal/cook the pasta. Last time I just zapped them in the microwave until they were tender.

I made spinach & avocado pesto with shrimp the other night.
    Spinach with a can of tomatoes, pecorino & some greek yogurt makes a nice creamy sauce.
    I still have a can of Libbys in the pantry so I'm plotting a pumpkin sauce in the near future too...
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10066027/spiralizer-spiralizing-recipe-ideas-inspiration/p1 I've been following this one you might find some fun tips here as well. Gonna bookmark yours as well OP :) I just ordered my Spiralizer on Amazon...so exited :)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    I watched that it just doesn't give any ideas on how to cook them. I have found recipes for sauteing them in a pan with olive oil and cooking them in the microwave for 2 mins. But other than that I have no clue as how to cook the zoodles lol

Check out Pintrest ...lots of Zoodles pins on there :)
  • May_Rose
    May_Rose Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I put mine on a baking sheet covered with foil and bake them for 10 minutes at 375. I like them a little on the drier side and this does the trick ;).
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I stir fry them. I usually use them mixed with spaghetti so it goes farther, or as a side dish because I like zucchini better "zoodled" and stir-fried than any other way.

I'll be honest, as a pasta obsessed New Yorker, I can't even begin to imagine veggie noodles as a "substitute" for pasta. It has the consistency and taste of zucchini, not pasta. Very different. I do think it's a convenient and fun way to get more veggies into your meals though!
  • megandhight
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10066027/spiralizer-spiralizing-recipe-ideas-inspiration/p1 I've been following this one you might find some fun tips here as well. Gonna bookmark yours as well OP :) I just ordered my Spiralizer on Amazon...so exited :)

Thanks!
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I stir fry them. I usually use them mixed with spaghetti so it goes farther, or as a side dish because I like zucchini better "zoodled" and stir-fried than any other way.

I'll be honest, as a pasta obsessed New Yorker, I can't even begin to imagine veggie noodles as a "substitute" for pasta. It has the consistency and taste of zucchini, not pasta. Very different. I do think it's a convenient and fun way to get more veggies into your meals though!

My moms Italian so I have a huge love of pasta but its not that good for me. Zoodles are no where near as the real thing but they are something I can live with and enjoy.