Almost 40 and need to get started.

Options
Hello everyone!
I have hit the magic wall of weight gain.
I'm on here to see others success stories and struggles. What helps what don't.
I'm sure I'll need encouragement every now and then.
Jenn

Replies

• khy77
    khy77 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as you. I like this app. It's easy to track calories, but I struggle staying within the nutrition graph.
  • MrsBradburn
    Options
    Yes there are some things with this app that aren't perfect. As a free app I think it's good!
    It's hard to put the exact meal plan goals that I want in here.
    I don't count calories. I count by how much fat,protein and carbs I eat a day.
  • Blueeyedgirl4
    Blueeyedgirl4 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. :) I would like to get back on track and would love to be a source of encouragement .
  • patj06
    patj06 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm in my late thirties and it would be so easy to just accept the weight gain as you get nearer 40 but I just want to be healthy and fit and if I look better too then great. If we all just try and concentrate on treating ourselves well then you won't go far wrong. Good luck!
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I think to some extent, you have to choose which nutritional goals are important for your situation. For me that means I watch protein and make an effort for fruits, veggies, water. I don't worry about sodium. But that's me.

I'm 40 now and honestly I'm more fit, healthy than ever in my life. MFP has been a very helpful tool, but overall I credit my success to adopting a new way of thinking. I view calories in & out as a budget. I need to move enough to be healthy, active. And I need to fuel my body before I work in treats, but by taking care of needs first I can have the other stuff from time to time.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    It's a great time to get serious about health and fitness. I've (almost) always been fitness-minded, but (almost) never health-minded. The changes and adjustments I'm making, with the help of this MFP tool, now - at 43 - are setting me up for a healthier future. After all, I can't keep running half marathons on chocolate and cheese. Well, I can ... for maybe one more. For the mental benefits alone, I want to do everything in my power to be running well into my retirement years. So ... I'm learning how to eat responsibly. Anyway - well done for getting started! :)
  • MrsBradburn
    Options
    It's only recently that I feel that I need to change my eating habits and how much exercise. I'm making my goals and working toward them.
    It's harder then I thought. In the long run it's going to set a better example for my kids and make me feel better.
  • megginanderson
    megginanderson Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Im turning 41 this month. I think once you find your groove age is just a number in your mind;)
  • runfoorun
    runfoorun Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I suppose I'm a success story. I'm still working at it though and still struggling. Feel free to add me.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Eat at a defecit

Lift heavy things and put them down again

Don't make excuses for why you can't do it

I started June 2014 (aged 47, chronic couch-potato) - 49lbs down, stronger, fitter, smaller, healthier, happier - it's easy once you get in the groove
  • MrsBradburn
    Options
    Nice at rabbitjb! :D
  • bricef4
    bricef4 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    It gets harder the older we get. Just stick to it and be consistent and u will see results.
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Eat at a defecit

Lift heavy things and put them down again

Don't make excuses for why you can't do it

I started June 2014 (aged 47, chronic couch-potato) - 49lbs down, stronger, fitter, smaller, healthier, happier - it's easy once you get in the groove
    +1

I just turned 40 last month and I'm in the best shape I've ever been in. I lift heavy and it has done wonders for my body.
  • cb2bslim
    cb2bslim Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    This is my 19th day since starting a diet and working out. I'm 41 and I'm a stay at home mom to a 18 month old. My goal is to lose 40 lbs. So far doing great. I've lost 10 lbs so far. Add me if you you would like.
  • AngieFlames
    AngieFlames Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I am 41 and lost 30lbs 2 years ago, have put 10 back on a year ago, but am still fighting the good fight. I post daily.