Greek Yoghurt

Options
k2sul
k2sul Posts: 30 Member
edited March 2015 in Food and Nutrition
Hi,

I'm trying to change my macros so that protein provides the lions share of my daily calories. This is a short term strategy to try and push through a plateau that I've reached.

Anyway, one of the food stuffs that I'm using to try and achieve this is Greek Yoghurt, but I'm really struggling with the taste. To me it's sour and rather unpleasant, and I've taken to dosing it with Stevia & a small scoop of my strawberry and vanilla protein powder. The end product is actually rather good, but I was hoping that some of you may have some recipes/ideas which I could try instead.

I've forced myself to eat it without any additives but I'm struggling, and don't feel my palate is any fonder of it now, than it was when I started.

All suggestions, gratefully recieved.

Mark

Replies

• miss_sarah2020
    miss_sarah2020 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Add a packet of stevia to a cup of the yogurt, then mash up 4-5 strawberries and mix it in. It is so good and doesnt taste bitter at all. Also adding some vanilla extract and a packet of stevia makes it just like vanilla yogurt
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I like to add a tsp of maple syrup and ground flax seeds. That will add a bit of calories though.
  • mochapygmy
    mochapygmy Posts: 2,123 Member
    Options
    Try different brands. I'm using Trader Joes 2% greek yogurt now but haven't tried a lot of them. I know there are vanilla flavored greek yogurts.

On a recommendation from a friend I tried some chocolate protein powder, a bit of PB2 and an ounce of soy milk today and it was soooooo good!
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Agree to try different brands. I use Kirkland/Costco brand and it is mild. I've tried Chobani and WalMart brand and they were sour and near-inedible, blech.
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I love to add homemade granola and some strawberries to mine. I've also been known to add cocoa powder or mini semi-sweet chips when I have a craving for chocolate.

I get plain, non-fat Greek Yogurt. Also, like Lourdesong said, the taste can differ between brands. I prefer Fage (if you can find it).
  • zoezoekende
    zoezoekende Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Try honey and some walnuts, or dates.
  • cljones302
    cljones302 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Fage is by far the superior brand of Greek Yogurt. However, Iceland yogurt called skyr has even more protein. 14G protein in a 6 oz serving. Brand names are Siggi's or Smari - the vanilla ones are my favorite.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Fage 0% and a tbsp of honey
  • ruggedshutter
    ruggedshutter Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure where you're located so I'm not sure how much this will help but I hated plain Greek Yogurt. My wife asked me to try the ones with fruit in the bottom. Chobani has several flavors that I like (strawberry, blueberry and black cherry). I add some granola in with it and it gives it a nice crunch to add to it as well.
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I just read an article that recommended Fage 2% as one of the best Greek yogurts. I haven't tried it yet myself. I add a teaspoon of honey, maple syrup, or a bit of jam to my Greek yogurt. It does a few calories but not as much as you would think. Adding fresh or frozen unsweented fruit is good as well.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I like it with cocoa powder, chopped nuts and some rolled oats. I sometimes add a little chocolate sauce.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    I just get the already flavored and add a scoop of protein powder.

No tartness to me.
  • troutrouter
    Options
    I like to eat Dannon's Light & Fit Greek Yogurt. The cherry is my favorite, but blueberry and strawberry are pretty good as well.
  • cgangl1821
    cgangl1821 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Dannon and Choib. (Spelling, it was mentioned earlier) with fruit on the bottom is good as long as it is mixed up. There are 100 calorie options for this as well, but they are still high in protien.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I will add berries and agave nectar or honey to mine. I use Fage Greek yogurt and that doesn't seem a bitter to me as some of the others.
  • shamani5
    shamani5 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I just got Fage the other day. It's sooo good! I could eat it plain :smile:
  • nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Protein powder. Stevia and vanilla extract, banana, peanut butter, cinnamon.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I like microwaving an apple with some cinnamon, and mixing it with Greek yogurt and a bit of vanilla extract.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    I use MyProtein Flavdrops to flavor greek yogurt.

I've just finished today off with Liberte greek yogurt, chia seeds and toffee flavdrops.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I also recommend different brands. I usually eat Fage 2%, but like the skim version too. One of my favorite ways to eat it is to use it as a dip for apples or just put berries in it, but I suppose that might add too many carbs for your desire. I like it fine as a dip for veggies too, or for anything I might eat with sour cream.

Beyond that I have done the add protein powder thing--if you use protein powder that tastes good to you, then you don't need added sweeteners, IMO (which are in the powder anyway).

Also, if you don't like it straight, how about cottage cheese? I think the protein content is similar and I like it even better on its own.