help eith macros and a good routine to build muscle mass

Options
2»

Replies

• sarahroncone
    sarahroncone Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I started my bulk in summer. It doesn't bother me the slightest, summer or winter. But i know it will be challenging whilst my body transitions into what i want and all the ups and downs i will go through along my journey. Regardless, I'm just super excited to get my goal!
    Trial and error is definitely the key, However i have never counted marcos/calories before so i didn't know where i should start in order to get an idea of my maintenance or gaining levels etc. Now i have a rough idea of where i am at, i can tweak things where i need and hopefully get some good gains over the next few months. Just happy to have advice and ideas from fellow builders. It helps alot in building my own knowledge.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    And because you asked about overtraining, I figured I'd drop this here (it's from Layne Norton's facebook page):

Many people use the word 'overtraining' as a catch all for ineffective programming. What do YOU think it means? And what is the difference between overtraining and overreaching... And yes there is a difference. If you cannot answer this question accurately, you need to stop using this term. Tag a bro-scientist who uses this term and has no idea what it really means?

Overreaching: a period of time during a training block with the accumulation of volume and fatigue cause an athlete's performance to temporarily decrease. It is often accompanied by decreased drive to train, and increased soreness. It is easily rectified by a short tapering of volume by 1-2 weeks during which time performance should go back to normal and in many cases above normal via supercompensation of recovery

Overtraining: think of overreaching gone too far but now you start to get perturbations in measurable physiological outcomes like disrupted hormone levels, decreased immune function, changes in heart rate, etc.

What overtraining is NOT: Feeling bad. Tired. Sore. etc. Also, many people have the notion of overtraining that it is catabolic to muscle... that you can train a muscle so much that it actually becomes catabolic. Let me be very clear, this is simply untrue. Period. There is ZERO scientific data to support this. Also most athletes that ACTUALLY get overtrained are endurance athletes or those who do competitions like ironman because they do such an enormous volume of work. Work = Force X Distance. So even though they have low force, they have enormous distance and thus huge work volume. Do you REALLY think that you lifting weights 1-2 hours per day is going to cause you to overtrain compared to someone who does a HARD manual labor job for 10 hours a day? Of course not. So why don't hard labor workers whittle away to nothing? Because their body adapts and accommodates the stressor.

As you can see overreaching can be a useful tool when implemented correctly, but overtraining is something to be avoided. But short term decrements in performance are normal and at times essential in weight training in order to make progress.

Hopefully now you have all learned something and those of you who've used the term incorrectly will now understand it.
  • gio14
    gio14 Posts: 57 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Yup, always me. If you don't like being asked to provide your sources then don't use them to begin with. I learned last time? I'm sorry I didn't even know you were holding a class. You must be new here if you think anyone in this section will just role over act accept thing as fact blindly.
    JoRocka wrote: »
    the reality is there is no exact way to calculate the EXACT amount of calories any one thing is attributed to- which is why trial and error is required and why general trend lines are important- rather than day to day.

It has nothing to do with the shape of your body. Or your blood type- or anything else.

Slapping labels and blaming or point at certain potential loosely woven together studies doesn't help anyone.

Reality- calories are a best guest scenario- only trial and error and proper data points and feed back gives you the information you need- and yes it varies from person to person. This isn't rocket science.
    Which bring us back to the "generic advice" we give, eat more. It's not really that hard to understand.

So MrM27 you have provided no feedback on the details u so sarcastically asked for u just came into the post to troll and add nothing to the conversation..Bravo! If u read my original post.. I kept it brief gave some advice and hinted at some details to back it up. I'm pretty sure we don't need u to be the forum police, share some knowledge don't go around trying to police posts and call people out, it does not do much to further the conversation or to help anyone learn more. Like I said I'm all ears if u want to have a constructive conversation or have a different viewpoint to share, no classrooms are being held. OP asked for some advice and I shared. I'm here to learn as well as share any knowledge I can on the way.

-JoRoka there was no intent at labeling people, but like it or not, fact is, alot of people to consider themselves "hardgainers" and don't understand wtf is going on when they are eating and not seeing results. Just trying to shed some light on some issues that alot of people in this section, including myself have run into..just eat more doesn't really give the explanation that the subject is due. Some people may be looking for more information than "just eat more".

If u read my post that's pretty much what i hinted to.. trial and error and track trends. There was no need for the post to be picked apart if u r both agreeing with the principle I presented.

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    gio14 wrote: »
    Good lord u again...Thought u learned last time, if I quote a study.. it's because there is one. Here's yet another study please read it this time. It shows the the variance between the amount of calories burned via NEAT from one person to the next is different:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9880251
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11310775

Regardless if you're an active person or not, it all still boils down to eating more than your energy output.

Also, increasing volume is much more important than TUT for hypertrophy.
  • AarghTony
    AarghTony Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    OK, lots of good info here...thanks! I don't know what macros are, or TDEE, NEAT or how you all are using the word 'eccentric'...but I'm learning! (don't worry about explaining any of that, I'll Google it :smile: ) I'm trying to gain muscle mass and have always been told to keep increasing the weight I'm lifting. Since starting approximately 3 weeks ago, I have actually lost pounds, but my body is slowly looking more cut. So I'm convinced that as I increase my daily caloric intake and continue to lift to the point of failure, I'll start gaining back.
  • sarahroncone
    Options
    All information on here is helpful to me! I appreciate everybodys input and think you all have good advice. :) Thank you for taking the time to educate me on the topic. I have been esting more than what i would consider my usual 'maintenance level' and lifting hard, taking all my supps and getting good sleep. Hopefully i will see some small gains on the scale to let me know im heading in the right direction. If not, i will continue to tweak accordingly. Thanks a million guys!
  • Klem4
    Klem4 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Following because I have also been trying to bulk since mid-January. I have been following this plan http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jake-wilson-project-mass-trainer.html
    I really like the way it is structured and have enjoyed the workouts, I've made good strength gains. I too am still figuring out the whole eating enough, but not too much, etc part.
  • gio14
    edited March 2015
    Options

Also, increasing volume is much more important than TUT for hypertrophy.

Ideally I think u need a combo of Volume, TUT and progressive overload, obviously tied with a caloric surplus. That will beat ur body up and force it to grow or go home! lol
  • sarahroncone
    Options
    Sorry for my lack of knowledge in regard to all these training abreviations, but what is TUD? I am very familiar with progressive overload and volume training.
    What I am taking home from this is a combination of all these training styles (which all aim to build muscle mass) and a caloric surplus should get the job done.
  • sarahroncone
    Options
    p.s I find that training with super sets, tri sets, and drop sets always leave me with a far more effective pump than straight sets of a 8-12 rep range. My body seems to respond with more work and less rest. I'm also a big fan of GVT style training. Always get some serious DOMS from that style of training, but I dont do it often as it isnt recomended, and i like to change it up because I almost feel like my body gets bored lol!
  • gio14
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Sorry for my lack of knowledge in regard to all these training abreviations, but what is TUD? I am very familiar with progressive overload and volume training.
    What I am taking home from this is a combination of all these training styles (which all aim to build muscle mass) and a caloric surplus should get the job done.

My bad lol its TUT not TUD..time under tension, I have info above in my initial post. ie increasing the time to complete your sets (something like 40 sec), working in 4 second negatives, using drop sets on ur last set etc.

• sarahroncone
    Options
    Oh yesss! Haha. Yes, I know what page we are on now. Time under tension has such an impact on training! I'm a big beleiver in 'TUT'.
  • gio14
    Options
    Oh yesss! Haha. Yes, I know what page we are on now. Time under tension has such an impact on training! I'm a big beleiver in 'TUT'.

Ya same here. Not really sure where I pulled a TUD from lol
  • sarahroncone
    Options
    Damn typos! Story of my life haha.