Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Gotta lose 50, so far no movement! Advice?

Hi! So I was a determined athlete before 2011. I played soccer, football, ran cross country and even wrestled a bit. I was a 160lb athlete and was happy with it. I gave birth to my daughter in May I 2011 and wasn't allowed to excersise or work out until Jan of 2013, by that time my weight an extra fat had settled. I'm now "overweight" and need to drop at least 50 lbs. I just started, like seriously trying, to lose about 6 months ago. I'm watching my calorie intake, I just joined a gym and am focusing on productive cardio. So far, no budging, no weight lose. I was hoping to be down a bunch of weight by July, but doesn't look promising. I know this is a long post, but I legit need some help & advice.

Thanks!!

Replies

• LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    You said you're watching your calorie intake, but how closely? Do you know your exact numbers? Have you done the math to figure how many calories you need, based on a very honest assessment of your activity level?
  • mildammm
    mildammm Posts: 67 Member
    That usually means you are eating too much - tighten up on your measuring. Do you own a scale? You should. Weigh everything that goes into your mouth and don't use generic entries for food (like, if you're making pasta, don't just add a generic "1 cup of pasta", find the brand on the package and weigh how much of it you'll eat, calculate the calories).

Be careful about eating back exercise calories - always err on the low side. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

Open your diary, weigh everything for a couple of weeks and report back.
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    edited March 2015
    Colleen, your diary's closed. If you've been watching your calorie intake in a meaningful way, there should be six months of entries we can look over if you open it. If it's spotty--missing entries, incomplete entries--then accurate logging is where to begin. Most underestimate what they eat, and while you can easily lose weight without exercise, it's difficult to out-exercise a poor diet.

With 15 weeks until July 4th, a 16-24lb loss is quite possible! Get comfortable with weight loss being an endurance event and not a sprint. You can do this if you set your mind to it! :)
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Honesty, accuracy, consistency.

Honesty: log everything you consume.
    Accuracy: weigh solids, measure liquids. Use accurate database entries. Be realistic about your burn #s.
    Consistency: maintain a deficit (500-1000 per day depending on what is appropriate for you, guessing 1-2 pounds based on your post) and expect results within 4-8 weeks time. Compare weight now to weight in 30, 60 days.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    If you accurately count calories and eat at a deficit, you will lose weight, period.

You probably are eating more than you realize.
  • MrCoolGrim
    MrCoolGrim Posts: 351 Member
    Eat less move more! Good luck
  • I would have to agree, without a good look at your diary I won't be able to help to much. You should be working in a deficit and not eating back the calories that you burn with exercise. It is ok to add your exercise in if you want (I usually don't just because it confuses me) but you just need to ignore the extra calories it gives you to eat. Proper food measurement and honesty is going to really help you loose the weight. Also having the proper macro % entered in your MFP goals will really help you (the ones MFP defaults are more for muscle/weight gain) I sent you a friend request and will be more than happy to help you further if you would like! Hope you have a great day and I hope to hear from you soon!
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    yup its all in the calories. working out wont make much difference if ur not accurately logging every single day. in that way weight loss is simple. but it does take dedication
  • I monitored my calories and lost nothing for 6 weeks - exercising 3 times a week for 30 min. I saw a nutritionist who recommended I give up diet pop - I normally had a can or two at lunch and the same in the evening, so 4 to 5 a day. They're zero calorie so I figured it was fine. I gave up the diet pop and lost 4 lbs the first week! I learned that diet pop can mess with leptin - do a search on artificial sweeteners and leptin.

You may not use artificial sweetener but my point is sometimes they're bad things lurking in our diets that sabotage us. Keep a good diary and have someone take a look you may be under counting or missing something. Good Luck
  • missunderstand01
    missunderstand01 Posts: 7 Member
    I've been logging, accurately, on another, LoseIt, app and I just switched over. I document everything that I eat now and I keep my calories below 1,270. I don't drink soda, or diet soda, I drink water, and gatorade (new thing)
    Colleen, your diary's closed. If you've been watching your calorie intake in a meaningful way, there should be six months of entries we can look over if you open it. If it's spotty--missing entries, incomplete entries--then accurate logging is where to begin. Most underestimate what they eat, and while you can easily lose weight without exercise, it's difficult to out-exercise a poor diet.

With 15 weeks until July 4th, a 16-24lb loss is quite possible! Get comfortable with weight loss being an endurance event and not a sprint. You can do this if you set your mind to it! :)

I just started here on this site, I was using another, but I'll keep it up and check back after a couple of weeks. Just looking for some stern and understanding support to stay motivated the best way possible, I suppose.
  • SweepGuy
    SweepGuy Posts: 3 Member
    I suspect you'll get a lot of comments that essentially add up to my advice, but here goes...

1. Log what you eat. EVERYTHING. Weigh it. Count it. This has multipurposes. First, it makes you AWARE of where you stand. Second, it helps you make informed decisions as well as understand how your body is acting and reacting. The only person you lie to is yourself, so, being as honest as possible only HELPS you. If you overeat, so be it. Write it down. Learn from it, and go on.

2. Move. This doesn't mean do crazy 10 mile runs every day. But, be AS active as possible, AND.... Be CONSISTENT. If you have a daily step goal, then make THAT a prioritization, not a re-run of "Housewives of XXX". If you cannot make it to the gym on a day, then MOVE. Walk about the house. Walk back and forth to the mailbox 5 times. Park WAY far away at the grocery store, so that you have to do that distance twice. Turn on some music and DANCE for 5 minutes. The MORE you move, the more you burn.

3. Start with reasonable and achievable goals. But after you beat those, increase and challenge yourself.

4. As has been said before, and will be after... Burn more calories than you take in. If you do this consistently, for long enough the weight WILL come off. Wake up every day with THAT as a main goal. "How am I going to succeed in this, today?". If one day you aren't as good as you want or expect, get over it. Tomorrow is a new day.
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    I've been logging, accurately, on another, LoseIt, app and I just switched over. I document everything that I eat now and I keep my calories below 1,270. I don't drink soda, or diet soda, I drink water, and gatorade (new thing)

I just started here on this site, I was using another, but I'll keep it up and check back after a couple of weeks. Just looking for some stern and understanding support to stay motivated the best way possible, I suppose.

Do you own a food scale and use it? If not, I'd get one and start weighing everything. But, even without weighing, I'm surprised you haven't lost a single pound in that long since you are obviously mindful of what you are eating, due to logging everything.

Have you really lost nothing at all?

55835802.png