Herbal Teas

Options
I am trying to switch from coffee to tea . Does anyone know the best teas for weight loss?

Replies

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Why

What's wrong with coffee
  • hesn92
    Options
    There's no type of tea that will make you lose weight. you just have to be in a caloric deficit. Tea and coffee plus whatever you add to it included.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Weight loss does not come from drinking tea, eating in a caloric deficit does. read this

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/113609/relatively-light-people-trying-to-get-leaner/p1

Good luck, you can do this!!
  • cgage24
    Options
    Absolutely nothing ! I'm just trying to cut out unnecessary calories ..I love creamer in coffee. .I even do sugar free creamer. .but it would be better if i skipped it all together and I have a hard time drinking coffee with just sugar. Plus, I'm beginning to really enjoy tea and i know certain ones do certain things.
  • cgage24
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Weight loss does not come from drinking tea, eating in a caloric deficit does. read this

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/113609/relatively-light-people-trying-to-get-leaner/p1

Good luck, you can do this!!

Lol I don't have the unrealistic belief that drinking tea alone will help me lose weight. I just know some teas are better for sore throats, some for sleeping,etc. I was curious if there was one for increasing metabolism.
  • hesn92
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I have cut down to only 1/2 tsp of sugar and some cream. Total comes out to like 20 calories for a 16 oz cup of coffee. Really easy to fit into my calories. I use a coconut milk coffee creamer.

I like green tea as well. They say it's good for you or your metabolism or something. I'm not sure. I drink it because I just like it
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    No. There's your answer.
  • LouiseTaylor__
    LouiseTaylor__ Posts: 14 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I actually think that herbal teas CAN help with weight loss. Try a lemon green tea in the morning and a peppermint great tea at night. Helps with bloating too!
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I like the flavor of Yogi Throat Comfort tea. Just make sure the water is boiling hot and steep longer than you do for most teas.
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    cgage24 wrote: »
    I am trying to switch from coffee to tea . Does anyone know the best teas for weight loss?

Get regular black or green tea. I do a one 1 liter Big Gulp cup most every day of the week. I boil one regular black tea bag with one hibiscus tea bag. Then I add Stevia (about 1/2 cup). I stir it in, add crushed ice, and just sip it. I have it finished off in about an hour.

Hibiscus tea lowers blood pressure as well as some expensive medications do, but tea has the alertness factor that -- unlike coffee -- doesn't disrupt sleep patterns. Green tea is another option, and both black and green aid in weight loss.
  • delayneduffy
    delayneduffy Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Green tea speeds up your metabolism.
  • tightnup
    tightnup Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    sometimes keeping yourself occupied with hot tea helps substitute for snacking :) I say go for it!

I LOVE my teas and whenever I'm not hungry, but want something and don't know what.. I make tea! Also, most people confuse hunger and thirst. I say get whatever taste good to you, because you will drink it. I recently bought herbal ginger because I read great things about it promoting digestion, but I CANT drink it (#nasty) - Currently, I rotate between herbal green, black, roasted dandelion root, and chamomile.

Also about your coffee swap, you just need to learn to put less crap into it :)
  • edack72
    edack72 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    green tea / coffee is ok as long as its not loaded down with the good stuff there even has been some articles I have come across that says coffee before your workout is good for you ...everything in moderation
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I haven't found a tea that I like as much as coffee but similar to you I am just trying to avoid the calories from cream/milk and sugar. I have cut back on both but when you are drinking 5 cups a day...it still adds up.
    I can handle my tea with almost nothing added so if I can cut coffee out completely I could have 400 calories of actual food to enjoy but so far....it ain't happening.

I don't buy into the green tea increasing metabolism thing. If it does the effect would be so small it would be negligible.

BUT like water, if you can fill up of tea (caffeine free that is) it could suppress appetite, and aid with digestion etc..so probably a good decision on your part!
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I have a cup of tea in the morning with 2 packs of Truvia, which is stevia and erythritol based. Zero calories by itself but I mix 15 calorie Benefiber into it for the added fiber. I also like the quick boost to my hydration levels early in the day. Green tea is supposed to have numerous health benefits, including cholesterol and weight loss. However, you have to drink so much that most people won't fully realize the benefits. I love herbal teas at night, including peppermint (amazing for headaches, too) and chamomile for relaxing. Vanilla sleepytime tea by Celestial Seasonings is like taking a valium to me!
  • GoGoMary4
    GoGoMary4 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Good lucky on the switch. I did the same thing (except I do drink one cup of coffee most days) I enjoyed Bengal Spice from Celestial Seasonings in the am. It's a little kick with the 'spices'. Green and white teas are good also with lemon or ginger. You can do it!
  • EmilyJackCO
    EmilyJackCO Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I have a large collection of teas of just whatever smells good. If it smells good, it probably tastes good too. I make them into iced or hot, just depending. Use good, quality teas is my best advice. Looseleaf is best for flavor. I buy from two local shops, you might find a place near you to try. I believe that tea is mankind's oldest ritual, and there's something special about it.

And I still have my wonderful coffee too.
  • GoGoMary4
    GoGoMary4 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I agree with Emily, if it smells good it usually tastes good.
  • DKG28
    DKG28 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    i do one cup - regular size mug - coffee in the morning, and tea the rest of the day. I say, drink what tastes good. Some Black teas have a tiny bit of potassium. Some teas have added vitamins - I Love Lemon Bigelow tea has added Vitamin C and I drink a cup every day. I think the biggest benefit just comes from replacing a calorie containing snack with a zero calorie cup of tea. Some fruit teas are so flavorful, with a little sweetener they pass for a mild juice. I like those. Also love certain chai teas - with a little milk/almond/soy/whatever milk they start to approximate the rich flavor of coffee. Non-fruit flavored herbal teas I don't find appealing - but if you're more of a savory person than sweet person, you might love them. Those seem to be the ones with mild medicinal properties (chamomile, etc)
  • anyamb
    anyamb Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I love:

Yogi's Ginger Tea
    Peppermint Tea
    Republic of Tea's Double Red Rooibos

Chrysanthemum or Chrysanthemum Seed Tea both have really different and interesting flavors if you can find them. It's pretty common to find at Asian markets or tea shops if you live in an area with a large international district.