I keep running out of calories

Options
2»

Replies

• Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    xstephnz wrote: »
    Alright, I've changed my food tracker so I only lose 0.5 kilogram a week. I'm a bit funny about it. I guess I'll eat what it says, and just eat half of my exercise calories back. I have so much weight to lose that hopefully I'll start losing weight a bit faster anyway. Once I know how to eat more food for less calories, I'll put it back on lose 1 kilogram a week.

:)

Can anyone tell me what the best low dense foods are?

Veggies are good for high volume/low calorie. I'm not recommending you go low carb, but the lower carb veggies tend to also have lower calories. If you like eggs for breakfast, add some veggies to the side, bring a salad for lunch to go along with whatever else you have, and so on.

• lcooper327
    lcooper327 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    daizyk70 wrote: »
    I use 1 egg and then one or two servings of All Whites in an omelet. The taste is still good and you get more protein and fewer calories than 2 eggs.

I would say keep the whole egg and get rid of a piece of toast. Fat and protein keep you full

• Lezavargas
    Lezavargas Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Use that food diary and review it the next day. Youll be surprised how many things youll look back on and think "hmmm...i probably could have done without that". Also find high volume low cal snacks like air popped popcorn! Planning out your day ahead of times helps alot too. When an item pops out on your diary as excessive then cut down your portion or find an alternative. Youll be surprised once you really dig in that youll have days that your scrambling to find enough calories! Feel free to friend me for some good low cal filling recipes and some diary feedback!
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    -please don't check my food diary, there's nothing in there at the moment...How can I stretch out my calories?

Thanks

Maybe you should start logging and counting calories. Also stop eating the caramel sundae that you started another thread about. There is virtually zero nutrition but tons of calories in that sundae.

This is harsh but I don't believe the problem is not enough calories. The problem is making excuses and your poor choices.
  • daisyverma
    daisyverma Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I also have the same issue and lowered my weight loss goal a bit, however my calorie goal is still under 1300 calories.

My biggest issue is my sweet tooth, and I end up wasting 100-200 calories on satisfying that.

Anyone got advice for battling a sweet tooth?

Sometimes I get a small pack of those Sacha Inchi Seeds in chocolate, but they are expensive!

• kimw91
    kimw91 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I'm not gonna comment on the egg/no eggs thing, apart from: don't believe everything you hear.

That said, judging by the other threats you've started, I think your main problem is that you're just not willing to make the lifestyle change. You could very simply start at breakfast, by ditching one piece of toast and replacing it by a good amount of veggies. You could also opt for 1 whole egg and 2 egg whites, maybe even make an omelette.
  • xstephnz
    xstephnz Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    kimw91 wrote: »
    That said, judging by the other threats you've started, I think your main problem is that you're just not willing to make the lifestyle change.

I wasn't ready before, but I am starting to feel better about things now :)
  • RainyDaysAgain
    RainyDaysAgain Posts: 69 Member
    Options

That's great :smile: I started with MFP less than 2 months ago, so I remember the beginning well. It was hard to get things right, and I was a bit hungry, and I was used to lots of snacking in the afternoon. After a few days I found popcorn, cucumbers, and black coffee were good for satisfying the need to snack. They aren't super tasty though, so I fell out of the habit of snacking other than when I am truly hungry. LOL.

My suggestion would be to spend a few days tracking what you eat, to get in the habit and also to increase your awareness of where your calories are coming from. I would also start with a smaller calorie deficit until you are more comfortable with restricting what you eat. Eating for a small loss is better than aiming for a big loss but getting hungry and then binging.

To avoid running out of calories, plan your meals the night before. I find it *much* easier to eat the right foods when I already have them planned out, especially first thing in the morning!

Good luck! You can do this, it is just hard getting started.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    That said, judging by the other threats you've started, I think your main problem is that you're just not willing to make the lifestyle change.

It took me months to get ready! Just make small changes at first.
  • HotPotato22
    HotPotato22 Posts: 91
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I would try new foods and just playing with calories. You could do a vegetable egg scramble with one egg and two egg whites (only 100 calories) with a side of fruit. I also do one piece of toast or sauteed spinach with my eggs. I use almond milk and coconut milk instead of cows milk because it has less calories and tastes better to me. These specific changes may not appeal to you, especially if you don't like the food I'm suggesting (which is fine). My point just be a little creative to reduce calories and make small changes so you aren't overwhelmed.
  • adamitri
    adamitri Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

It took me months to get ready! Just make small changes at first.

This! It doesn't happen overnight but small changes here and there will get you into a good routine.
  • RKMMKR
    RKMMKR Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Everyone here is so helpful and lovely :)

I am also sedentary. I ran out of calories all the time and was hungry most days or craved things. Restricting my calories failed me unfortunately. For my final attempt, I adjusted my calories to 1590 because I need to eat and I am ok with losing a pound a week or less. Good health is for the long haul. I prep meals. I eliminated a lot of rice, bread, cereal etc. and increased protein and vegetables along with a couple of tablesppons of quinoa. I eat eggs for breakfast most days. I do eat dark chocolate and nuts in the afternoon. I find that I am full end of day and have not gotten a bit close to the 1590. I believe the protein fills me up as well as the hearty veg (broc, cauliflower, spinach). I am not an expert but perhpas you should increase your protein in order to feel satiated? I have not lost a ton of weight, just 14 pounds since this January. Changing my thinking helped me. Good luck and I hope you find this bit of information useful.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Alright, I've changed my food tracker so I only lose 0.5 kilogram a week. I'm a bit funny about it. I guess I'll eat what it says, and just eat half of my exercise calories back. I have so much weight to lose that hopefully I'll start losing weight a bit faster anyway. Once I know how to eat more food for less calories, I'll put it back on lose 1 kilogram a week.

:)

Can anyone tell me what the best low dense foods are?

:) Low calorie foods include chicken and turkey breast, sirloin, shrimp, tofu, fish, eggs, broccoli, swiss chard, kale, spinach, romaine, cabbage, mushrooms, asparagus, avocados, okra, cauliflower, bell peppers, snow peas, eggplant, zucchini, yellow squash, brussels sprouts, cucumbers, green beans, winter squash, blue berries, strawberries.
  • _whatsherface
    _whatsherface Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I personally don't think you need 2 pieces of bread. Maybe do 1 egg and 1 egg white and 1 piece of bread? Add some cheese for a lower calorie option with some fat.