Bakeries

Options
xstephnz
xstephnz Posts: 278 Member
Occassionally, I like to go to the Bakery with my sister.

While we are there, we like to get hot chips with chicken salt on them (mmm chicken salt), a sandwich or two and a soda. I have tried the deep fried chicken a few times, but it isn't anywhere near as good as kfc.

I haven't been able to find the calories available online for the chips or chicken, so I should probably stop eating those, and I don't know what is in the sandwiches. Probably butter, salad dressing, chicken, egg, tomato and god knows what else.

Should I stop going there? it just seems too hard to track. I suppose I could go to Subway or Pita Pit instead, but they are so expensive.

And honestly the sandwiches/rolls are kind of like candy floss. They taste great going down, but there's no substance, and I feel hungry five minutes later.

Replies

• Howdoyoufeeltoday
    Howdoyoufeeltoday Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    For the fries you can look up a ballpark estimate on mfp for deep fried French fries. And the sandwich what you could do is order one to go, take it home and deconstruct it. Weigh the bread and the stuff that's in it and try to get as close to the calorie count as you can. If you really love the place then it would be worth the effort to do it once and then you can add it into mfp yourself. Or if u know the owners just ask.
  • kimw91
    kimw91 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I could never compare that bakery meal you are describing to something like Subway. Your bakery meal sounds like my 3 meals all in 1 in terms of calories, whereas Subway has lots of great healthy options that come in at around 350 calories. So for me, the bakery would be a once a month AT MOST thing, where as Subway I could eat weekly if need be.

That said, I wouldn't say never go there again because that's just not viable.. but if you are just in need of lunch, I'd choose a more sensible option. Your chips may very well come it at around 300-450 calories, the soda adds an additional 180 and the sandwiches anywhere from 400 - 900 depending on the amount of butter, dressing etc. used. So yeah.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I wouldn't stop eating there if I can't find it in the database if I liked eating some place. If they don't have the information, try to find a ballpark estimate of what you ate. Round up. Try to enter the separate components of what you are eating like you mentioned.

The issue of if you're hungry 5 minutes later is up to you and if its worth your calories is another that only you can decide.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    Try to log it as best as you can and if you only go once in awhile it's not a big deal.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    1. you can still eat there, but you may want to cut back. It also doesn't sound like you actually like the sandwiches. So maybe just get the chips and skip the sandwich and soda?
    2. When I go to my local sandwich shop I estimate how much each part weighs and log each thing separately. We have a stamp scale at work, so sometimes I'll weight the whole sandwich in ounces and use that to help me figure out the weights of the parts. I know that sounds crazy, sorry. I am weird.
    3. the hell is "chicken salt"?
    4. This does not sound like a bakery. This sounds like a sub shop. The word "bakery" brings to my mind cookies, cakes, pies, fresh bread and croissants.
  • xstephnz
    xstephnz Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Josalinn wrote: »
    [*] This does not sound like a bakery. This sounds like a sub shop. The word "bakery" brings to my mind cookies, cakes, pies, fresh bread and croissants.
    [/list]

Yeah, it has all of that stuff too. New Zealand definition of a bakery for ya!
    Josalinn wrote: »
    [*] the hell is "chicken salt"?
    [/list]

This amazing salt stuff they put on fries. It tastes and smells so good! It must be so bad for you though.
  • RainyDaysAgain
    RainyDaysAgain Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    xstephnz wrote: »

And honestly the sandwiches/rolls are kind of like candy floss. They taste great going down, but there's no substance, and I feel hungry five minutes later.

Given the high calorie content of fried foods, I wouldn't be willing to give up so many calories to something that would leave me needing to eat another meal shortly. Because I am not good at eating just a few fries, I'd probably just order a drink or something else. For a very occasional treat, I'd order what I like and just do the best I could matching items from the MFP choices. I usually skip the highest and lowest calorie suggestions and choose one in between, on the high side. I did this just a few days ago for a restaurant meal.