Hungry

Options
Hi,
I am very strict with myself and I'm sticking to my calorie goal every day! However I am starting to feel really hungry even after I just ate.
I'm eating 3 meals a day and no snacks and these 3 meals are relatively small. I am also a horse rider and I ride nearly every day so I am active and burn lots of calories this way. Any advice on how not to feel so hungry?
Thanks
Sophie

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    These are my really general tips for hunger:

1. Make sure that your calorie goals are actually set appropriately. Don't skip this step. A lot of people set goals that are too aggressive and then wonder why they're having a hard time. And remember that MFP expects you to log your exercise and eat back some of the extra calories you earn. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

2. Look for foods higher in protein, fat, and fiber. These help us stay full and more satisfied longer. If you're using MFP's default settings, try to consider protein, fat, and fiber as minimums to reach every day rather than maximums to stay below.

3. Drink plenty of fluids. Some people really do confuse thirst and hunger.

4. Get plenty of rest. This includes sleeping enough and taking rest days from the exercise. Sometimes our bodies look for food when they're exhausted.

5. Play around with your meal timings. Some people do really well on 5-6 small meals a day and others feel like they want to gnaw their own arm off eating like that. Skipping breakfast, eating breakfast, 16:8 fasting, 6 small meals, 3 larger meals, snacks, no snacks, meal timing won't make a big difference to your weight loss, but it may help your hunger levels, mood, concentration, gym performance, etc. throughout the day. Don't be afraid to try a different way and see if it helps.

6. Wait it out. If you know you're eating enough and the other steps above aren't helping, you may just have to wait it out. Our bodies send out hunger signals partially out of habit. If you eat at a certain time every day your body will start to get hungry at that time. The good news is that these signals can be retrained to stop telling you to be hungry all the time. The bad news is that you may just have to be hungry for a little bit while that happens.

7. I also think it's important to remember that there's a habitual component to hunger. This goes along with point #6, but if you eat because you're bored or you're used to eating in front of the TV or in the car or whatever it is, then you can replace those habits with others that are better for you. Things like keeping water on hand to sip instead of snacking or picking up hobbies that keep your hands busy or that get you out of the house more can help out a little while you're retraining your hunger cues. You might need to pay attention to why you're eating/hungry or what you're feeling when you eat and try to replace food with other things, but it can be really beneficial over time.
  • JSurita2
    JSurita2 Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating a day? Maybe you're not eating enough. Especially if you're exercising.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    What is your calorie goal, and by sticking to it, do you mean you're meeting it, as in pretty much on target within a few cals each day, or are you coming in well under it?
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    There is no rule that says you only have to eat 3 meals. Maybe 4 works best for you, maybe adding a snack in between works. I agree with making sure you eat enough calories. Your ticker states you need to lose 2.9 lbs?
  • SophieLPxx
    SophieLPxx Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    AmyRhubarb wrote: »
    What is your calorie goal, and by sticking to it, do you mean you're meeting it, as in pretty much on target within a few cals each day, or are you coming in well under it?

Hi my calorie goal is 1200 a day and i am mainly coming just a few calories under for example today was 84 under
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    SophieLPxx wrote: »

Hi my calorie goal is 1200 a day and i am mainly coming just a few calories under for example today was 84 under

You should net 1200 calories. If you are eating only 1200 calories and exercising then I would guess you are not eating enough.
  • itsthehumidity
    itsthehumidity Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Good points in the above post. I'll just add to it that hunger is part of the process. My appetite is colossal. It's enormous. I want to eat 3-5 times how much my body needs. I can eat well over 3000 calories at once with no issue, and I'm just a 5'7 male, about 172 pounds.

I'm hungry all the time. Before, during, and after everything I eat I'm hungry. But I just have to push through it because my appetite lies to me. I have to choose: do I want to reach my goals, or eat whatever I want? I can't have both.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

Are you logging your riding and eating back any of the extra calories you earn? That might be a good place to start if you aren't already.

• JSurita2
    JSurita2 Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're not eating enough at all. If you're hungry I say EAT.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    You are not eating enough. Your NET (which is everything you eat - your calories burned through exercise) needs to be 1200 minimum. Most health care professionals recommend 1200 as your minimum because your body needs that to function properly.

Depending on what type of riding and barn work you are doing, you may be burning more or less calories than you realize.

You need to recalculate your calorie needs.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options

Are you really only trying to lose 3 pounds? The difference in how you're going to look 3 pounds lighter is not going to be noticeable. If you are so close to your goal you probably want to look at body recomposition rather than losing additional weight which is going to be mostly water and muscle, something you don't want to lose. The more muscle you lose the slower your metabolism will get which means it'll be even harder to stay the weight you want to be.

Set your calorie goal to maintenance and start lifting weights. Your weight will stay about the same but you'll get smaller and tighter which I'm betting is what you really want instead of 3 pounds of muscle loss.
  • SophieLPxx
    SophieLPxx Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all your comments! I will start monitoring my exercise more closely!
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    You are eating 1200 calories (or less) a day and doing physically demanding activities. In essence, you're starving your body of proper nutrition. You need to properly fuel your body. Eat more calories. Alot more.
  • nicfitnesszone
    nicfitnesszone Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I am 5'0 100 lbs on maintenance. I eat 3 meals and 2 snacks in between. I must eat every 2 hours or I get hypoglycemic especially if I'm running that day. I learn to listen to my body when it is time to eat. If I don't I know I will pay for it--dizziness, lethargy, massive headache, nausea, can't workout, can't have fun. Not worth it.