Help! I don't want to eat another entire bag of chips!

Options
I'm doing fine today. But I feel the craving coming on.

I'm not going to go into details about my life, but my husband does travel a lot. He was only home for 3 days this time, 4 last time...I just found out he's leaving again tomorrow. And on top of all the other issues...

I've been doing so good these past two weeks. I'm depressed, but I'm making myself eat. I've been working out even when I feel like curling up on the couch. But I'm facing another weekend alone, and the thought of a big bag of sour cream and onion chips and a bottle of wine is sounding like heaven. Meanwhile, the idea of eating anything else makes me sick - but I've been eating anyway and I don't actually get sick.

Help!

Replies

• 1Corinthians13
    1Corinthians13 Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    I'm doing fine today. But I feel the craving coming on.

I'm not going to go into details about my life, but my husband does travel a lot. He was only home for 3 days this time, 4 last time...I just found out he's leaving again tomorrow. And on top of all the other issues...

I've been doing so good these past two weeks. I'm depressed, but I'm making myself eat. I've been working out even when I feel like curling up on the couch. But I'm facing another weekend alone, and the thought of a big bag of sour cream and onion chips and a bottle of wine is sounding like heaven. Meanwhile, the idea of eating anything else makes me sick - but I've been eating anyway and I don't actually get sick.

Help!
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options
    although the chips & wine sounds heavenly to me right now, too, I suggest you try not to do that. It won't make you feel any better in the long run. How about this weekend when you feel like you want to chow down on the chips, go for a walk or exercise instead? Log it on calculator & see if you really want to consume that many calories/fat grams/etc... Eat my hummus instead. :bigsmile: Get on the phone & talk to a friend for a little bit (that always makes me feel better when I feel like emotional eating). :flowerforyou:
  • 1Corinthians13
    Options
    Thanks, and I know you're right. I'll eat it and end up hating myself for it on top of being depressed, and that will make me even more depressed.

I just emailed my sister who's still single and living alone to ask her to come spend a night with me. Actually I begged her. I hope she comes. That will help.

I think I'm helping my girlfriend move Saturday (unless my sister spends the night Friday), so that'll take time and burn calories! And I'm going to a Christmas service Saturday night and church on Sunday.

I can do this.

I'm making hummus. :smile:
  • 3babybeans
    Options
    You can do this & it looks like you'll have a full weekend! That'll be a nice distraction, too! I hope your sister can help you out.
  • JenniferMann24
    Options
    I have felt the same way. Don't give in. Ive read that you are suppose to fake it till it becomes real. I know you should keep exercising because that helps the depression. Ive been going to a doctor that treats depression and anxiety with exercise and diet. Keep up the good work. Put your attention on something else. Plan a really exciting dinner or something romantic for you and your husband for when he comes home.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • cookie23
    Options
    sensible portions multi-grain chips. (I get them at Costco). These taste better than any potato chip and whole lot more satisfying and hunger quelling. 18 chips are 120 calories of complex carb which will be satisfying, on a bad day I've even 2 and half portions but it sure is better than inhaling a 7 oz bag of wise in two minutes, putting 700 calories into your body that will leave you wanting more in ten minutes.
  • modelgirl
    Options
    Hello
    I just started yesterday. I am trying to get in shape for my wedding in may. I was reading what you had to say. I know in a way I do not know what it is like but in a way I do. the man I am with is in college in troy. I do not get to see him that much right now because I have a little girl from the first time I was married. I do not think a little girl needs to be around a bunch of college men. so I only get to go see him every other weekend or he comes to see me. it is even harder now because he had to get a part time job. all I can tell you is keep holding on and do not give up. he loves you and christmas is coming you started this I know you want to reach what ever goals you have good luck
    merry christmas
  • nicolet04
    Options
    Maybe have a girls night out with some friends!!! get ur mind off the chips and have fun!!! it will make u realize why u dont want to eat them!!!
  • STACYESPARZA
    STACYESPARZA Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    We are having a girls night out this weekend...or actually in (at someones house)
    Some bring stuff to sell...like purses and makeup...
    and we all get together and chat....
    Most are wives and mommies and it feels good to be around people that have common things in their life.
    I always feel good after....and sometimes I meet new friends....
    It helps really.....especially the stress and anxiety around the holidays...
    I also like to go out and get my toes done or sometimes my hair styled....
    Makes me feel good and I never feel guilty after...
    unlike turning to food for comfort...I always feel bad afterwards
  • Chellekk
    Chellekk Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about going and volunteering to give yourself a replacement "joy" while your hubby is away? Go stuff letters at the hospital, school, community center. Anything is better then being lonely at home. Plus you can meet new people and that might be the perk you need to stay positive.
  • kristie874
    kristie874 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I always feel better on weekends that I have nothing going on and am feeling lonely when I call up a friend, grab a non fat, sugar free latte, and either go to an estate sale (free entertainment!) or go for a walk or hike in a beautiful part of the city! The girl gab helps to boost my energy and mood! You'll feel better! If it's evening time and you're still feeling it, pop a bag of low fat popcorn and watch a good, sappy chick flick that you wouldn't be able to watch with your husband. You could also try getting a few friends together for a game night! You can stick to it!
  • jesusgrl14
    Options
    Remember - "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels!" :wink:
    That one seems to be my saving grace during those times of weakness! :laugh:
  • prairiemom
    prairiemom Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Maybe try popcorn instead of chips. There are other snacks out there that are not quite as bad as chips. Good luck. Try going out for a walk when you get down and lonely.
  • 1Corinthians13
    Options
    Wow, thank you all for your suggestions! They are all great!

popcorn is a very common snack for me. I do like it because of the lighter calories. And my sister and I love Sunchips - my problem is that I eat too many. But if we got one bag to share, at least I would know that I won't be eating the whole thing.

I was actually thinking of volunteering or perhaps working parttime at the daycare at my gym. Might give me a discount, it would keep me busy, and I love kids.

The problem with all this is that it's great, but the fact that my husband travels so much isn't really the source of my stress and depression.

I am going to start seeing a counselor soon. I'm actually really excited to be able to just go on and on to someone unbiased, who doesn't know me and who only wants what's best for me.
  • 1Corinthians13
    Options
    Well, for those interested, it's Friday night. I made my hummus (so good!) and had only a little bit with a serving size of pita chips. So far, so good. :smile:
  • 3babybeans
    Options
    I think the counselor is a great idea. They might give you some great ideas on how to deal with your husband being gone so much. Good job with sticking to the sensible eating! I think I'm going to go eat my hummus as soon as the baby is down for the night! Yummy!