The hills are alive... with the sound of me running.

Options
LorinaLynn
LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
I can't say enough good things about how cool the site mapmyrun.com is. It's my favorite new fitness "tool!"

You can plot out the course you want to run, and not just on streets like using google maps, and it not only tracks the distance, but the elevations. And when you complete the course, and input your time, it tells you your average pace. I've found the calories it says you burned are much lower than any other site's estimates, though, so I don't rely on that.

But it's the elevations that really geek me out. I knew I lived in a hilly neighborhood, but it wasn't until I saw it on a graph that I realized just HOW hilly it is.

Today's run, as per my 10k training plan, was supposed to be 60 minutes over a hilly course, so I mapped out a 6.1 miles, and finished in exactly 61 minutes. I did walk about a block total when my ankle felt funny, but then got back into it, so I'm pleased with my time. :smile:

Here's what the elevations looked like. It's not the steepest hills I run, but still enough to make you think "is this ever going to end?!" :laugh:

hills.jpg

Replies

• Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I am jealous that you can run so well. I don't think I will ever be able to run again. BUT Awesome route you picked! and looks like a cool website. thanks for the info!
    Keep it up!
    ~Namaste
  • angelarozmyn
    Options
    this is awesome!
  • mamijujuphat
    mamijujuphat Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Whoa!....that's interesting
  • TheGoktor
    TheGoktor Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Must not get involved with such geekery. Must not get involved with such geekery. Oh OK, maybe just a leetle peekkkk.....
    :tongue:
  • peteyTwang
    peteyTwang Posts: 250
    Options
    COOL! Thanks for this! i'm not sure if i maybe already downloaded it but if I did it was before I ever started running.. Mapmyrun.com looks very similar to RUNKEEPER PRO - see:http://runkeeper.com/home - which is free and works for all the activities as opposed to mapMyThis and mapMyThat. Have you compared them?
    Currently I'm using RunKeeper Pro and the Nike+ /Polar HRM Nike+ 'wearlink'. <--not free;)
    My data gets sent and stored on both the Nike & RK Pro sites
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I don't have a HRM or a smartphone. In fact, I have a stoopidphone. Life would be so much easier with one or both. :laugh:
  • skinnyack
    skinnyack Posts: 683
    Options
    Thansk for reminding me to go check it out. What a great site!
  • jesseBYAH
    jesseBYAH Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    That is so cool! Awesome job, that rocks!
  • adhillman01
    adhillman01 Posts: 206
    Options
    I don't have a HRM or a smartphone. In fact, I have a stoopidphone. Life would be so much easier with one or both. :laugh:

You don't have to have a smart phone to use this site! It brings up an internet map similar to google and you can input your route and time and it will tell you pace and calories. There is a smart phone app to go along with it that is helpful as it will use your GPS to track your route as you go. Very cool stuff!
  • peteyTwang
    peteyTwang Posts: 250
    Options
    i/Smart/phones are "stoopidphones" , especially when they try to auto correct your typing or (esp.!) correcting your pronunciation when you use Voice Control . I think I know how to pronounce my own name thanks!- i actually prefer my big black bakelite rotary dial phone but the cord isn't long enough to bring it running very far :laugh: