That "time" of the month.

Options
For the past four months now my cycle has been out of whack. Normally it would last 3-4 days and now it's only one day. They told me it could be because I'm losing weight but I'm not quite sure if that's true? I'm not on any birth control so I know it's not that. Sorry by the way but I was curious if there's anyone else in my shoes?

Replies

• Msaip
    Msaip Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    are you preg? sorry tmi i know just asking. Extreme sports/working out can mess with it i know...how heavy is your fitness routine?
  • beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    It could very well be. I know since I've gained weight my periods have been heavier, so if you've been losing, and are only having your period for a day, lucky you!
  • Melis25Fit
    Melis25Fit Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I don't get mine at all anymore. It's wierd. I still have "Cramps" but no flow. My dr. said it's normal. I'm even on Yaz. Different bodies react differently to weight loss!
  • godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    I've heard that it's not necessarily because of losing weight, but because you're exercising (assuming you are?)
  • realgirl9892
    Options
    losing weight can make your period lighter or disappear. Congrats ;) haha
  • SaLandrum
    SaLandrum Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Honestly ... I cant wait to have my TOM reduced to almost nothing ....
    If your OB/GYN says everything is okay - dont worry.
  • lil_missfit
    lil_missfit Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    At my highest weight I would go months on my period and then months with no period. My doctor had to put me on pills to regulate. Now that I am lighter it is not perfect but better. I have read that when you workout you may have less and lighter periods. I have NO idea if this is true....just something to consider and ask your doctor about.

The other thing I was thinking of is stress??? Stress can shut it down....at least that has been the case for me.
  • Pril2000
    Pril2000 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Since I've lost weight, my periods have lightened to sometimes only 1 day. They typically last 3 days and are light. I am on the Nuvaring, so I always have at least a little period, but every now and then, I'll literally only barely spot for one day and then be done. My cramps are even almost nonexistent most months!

I remember when I was in high school and super active (Tae Kwon Do 5 days a week at 2 hours a clip), I would barely even notice that I had a period. They didn't slow me down at all. Being active and a healthy weight makes a huge difference in most women's cycles...

Hope that helps!
  • sayuri1
    sayuri1 Posts: 111
    Options
    Alright I just felt like I was the only one. I have been exercising, I don't even drive anymore I walk everywhere =) Having my period reduced to almost is fine but I was just worried I was getting sick or something. I don't think I'm preggos though, either way I'm taking the test today and if it's negative it just means that it's my exercise routine.
  • jonikeffer
    jonikeffer Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I have found that when I make significant changes to either my diet or exercise levels (and now I've done both) it always affects my cycle. I AM on birth control pills and it's still been goofy for the last few months. I keep getting it like a week before I'm supposed to go on the "fake" pills and should get it then. I can't say I know exactly why this is happening, but I know it happens for me every time and it's not worrisome. It will even out into some kind of pattern for you eventually.
    Now having said all that, if you have not had your pelvic exam/PAP in too long, you should get it done to be safe. It's not worrisome as long as you have been having your exams on schedule. ;)
  • mckshowie
    mckshowie Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    i changed my eating habits and activity level and exercise routine... and my most recent period was 14 days late.

sometimes it just wants to switch it up on you.
  • macdaddyyall
    Options
    I think it is related to having less body fat. I haven't had mine in a whole (though I have the joy of cravings at this moment >.<) and I think it's due to losing weight and being a bit more stressed than normal. I'd say go to your doctor if it lasts for more than like 2 months... personally, I'm happy to not have it lol