Over on Protein and Sugar ???? Good/Bad?

Options
saral89
saral89 Posts: 108 Member
I'm doing great at keeping everything in check from calories to carbs, but when it comes to Protein and Sugar I'm taking too much in. This could be to the Whey Protein I drink, but could this be hurting my weight loss?? i have no clue!!

Replies

• leighton1245
    leighton1245 Posts: 125
    Options
    Whey protien is for putting on weight lol So yes its hurting your weight loss, I dont know what your regular diet looks like but if your trying to drop weight you deff shoudnt be drinking whey protien and should be eating lots of good clean meaty protiens(steak, chicken, and Tuna).
  • sixpacking
    sixpacking Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    whey protein give up lean muscles, sugar its whats hindering your weight loss. Keep you protein, lower your sugar.
  • SimplyFreckled
    SimplyFreckled Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    i briefly looked at your diary. You aren't eating enough calories. They Whey protien isn't going to make you gain weight if you aren't giving your body enough calories. In general though going over on your protien is good, helps you keep your muscle and burn fat.
  • deandera
    deandera Posts: 15
    Options
    I just posted same question!! :happy:
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Whey protein is great and a big help in losing weight. I have two protein shakes a day. But as mentioned you calories seem very low, the min is 1200. I would only be doing less than that if my Dr. ordered it.

Sugar may be a worry, maybe look at the labels more, but if you don't have a problem with sugar, and you feel energetic and lose weight it might be fine for your body.

Otherwise you are doing really great! Keep it up, we believe in you!
  • saral89
    Options
    Whaaaaaat?!?! Haha I've heard very differently about Whey Protein... Kind of scared me, but I know and heard alot of success stories from drinking two shakes a day. About the calories.. I feel like Im eating pleanty. I don't think I'm starving myself. The thing is when I work out a long duration this MFP calculator gives me way too many calories and I really DONT want to eat those calories back. Sooo whats up with those calories??

Oh and also most of my sugar intake is coming from my fruit smoothie that gets added on with the protein.
  • leighton1245
    Options
    Everyone is missing the real purpose of weigh it does not HELP!! at all to lose weight. Also to lose weight and consume your correct caloric intake for the day you must eat or your body is going to store everything as FAT so it can feed itself later. Below is the real function of whey protien please read. IMO i would lose the whey and focus on your diet and eating habits.

Whey is essential in the bodybuilding world today because of its ability to be digested very rapidly.[14] This allows the protein to become available for muscle building very quickly. Most commonly it is used after workouts to help increase levels of amino acids in the blood, which are taken up by the muscles to ultimately increase mass. In addition, during exercise, whey helps open up blood flow by inhibiting an angiotensin-converting enzyme which originally constricts blood vessels; this allows better flow of nutrients to necessary areas to help repair and rebuild muscle tissues.[
  • saral89
    Options
    Everyone is missing the real purpose of weigh it does not HELP!! at all to lose weight. Also to lose weight and consume your correct caloric intake for the day you must eat or your body is going to store everything as FAT so it can feed itself later. Below is the real function of whey protien please read. IMO i would lose the whey and focus on your diet and eating habits.

Whey is essential in the bodybuilding world today because of its ability to be digested very rapidly.[14] This allows the protein to become available for muscle building very quickly. Most commonly it is used after workouts to help increase levels of amino acids in the blood, which are taken up by the muscles to ultimately increase mass. In addition, during exercise, whey helps open up blood flow by inhibiting an angiotensin-converting enzyme which originally constricts blood vessels; this allows better flow of nutrients to necessary areas to help repair and rebuild muscle tissues.[

I agree with that. I;m aware thats what it does, but since I'm trying to build and tone some muscle too I know it'll work. So althought my scale might be stuck for a few days while I work out, I can see the difference and measurements don't lie either. With that said, you think I should still drop it?
  • leighton1245
    Options

I agree with that. I;m aware thats what it does, but since I'm trying to build and tone some muscle too I know it'll work. So althought my scale might be stuck for a few days while I work out, I can see the difference and measurements don't lie either. With that said, you think I should still drop it?

How many grams of protien are you taking in a day from whey? I really think it would be smart to drop the whey for now. Then when you get at the weight you want then pick up with the whey again and build and tone. But dont lose focus on nutrution because not eating enough can have the same effect as eating to much. I reccomend to everyone they eat 6-8 times a day because you have to keep you metoblism running and the more it runs the faster it will be and burn more. Clean protiens that you get from steak, chicken, and tuna is some of the best you can get.

Also you have to pick rather you want to build muscle or tone and lose weight, because you have to do seperate things to achive each goal.
  • liftnat
    liftnat Posts: 8
    Options
    A good whey protein supplement shouldn't push your sugar numbers too high. My supplement has 0 g of sugar and this one from GNC only has 2 g. http://bit.ly/kiDeXA

You can certainly have a scoop of whey protein even during weight loss, just count it in your daily calories. Most scoops are 80 - 130 calories. Also, most people have this when they're trying to build muscle. If you're not doing that, not sure you need the supplement.

Are you going over on sugar in general or just one day and it freaked you out?

At the end of the day, if your calories are intact, your weight loss should progress.

According to the stats in your signature, you've already lost a lot of weight. Which means you have probably already been reducing the amount of sugar you're feeding your body. Keep on rocking it!
  • saral89
    Options

How many grams of protien are you taking in a day from whey? I really think it would be smart to drop the whey for now. Then when you get at the weight you want then pick up with the whey again and build and tone. But dont lose focus on nutrution because not eating enough can have the same effect as eating to much. I reccomend to everyone they eat 6-8 times a day because you have to keep you metoblism running and the more it runs the faster it will be and burn more. Clean protiens that you get from steak, chicken, and tuna is some of the best you can get.

Also you have to pick rather you want to build muscle or tone and lose weight, because you have to do seperate things to achive each goal.

So Im getting around 52 just from my protein shakes. I also eat alot of tuna and chicken mostly. Take a look at my diary and see what you think.
  • blueliss26
    blueliss26 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    So aside from the whey issue, is it ok to continuously go over on protein? I am such a fan of greek yogurt, i am always going over as that stuff is PACKED with the protein...
  • saral89
    Options
    A good whey protein supplement shouldn't push your sugar numbers too high. My supplement has 0 g of sugar and this one from GNC only has 2 g. http://bit.ly/kiDeXA

You can certainly have a scoop of whey protein even during weight loss, just count it in your daily calories. Most scoops are 80 - 130 calories. Also, most people have this when they're trying to build muscle. If you're not doing that, not sure you need the supplement.

Are you going over on sugar in general or just one day and it freaked you out?

At the end of the day, if your calories are intact, your weight loss should progress.

According to the stats in your signature, you've already lost a lot of weight. Which means you have probably already been reducing the amount of sugar you're feeding your body. Keep on rocking it!

The Whey Protein I'm taking only has 1 of sugar. So not too bad. The sugar thing is mutliple times. I wouldn't freak out over one day of high sugar :P haha either way like I said mostly the sugar I'm getting is fromt he fruit smoothie. Maybe I should reconsider that.
  • saral89
    Options
    whey protein give up lean muscles, sugar its whats hindering your weight loss. Keep you protein, lower your sugar.
    Love your ticker.. hahaha!! Well yeah this is good advise thanks. Ill jsut have to maybe adjust the sugar and keep the protein. As far as I'm concerned Protein=Lean ... Looks like you have that down!
  • leighton1245
    Options

So Im getting around 52 just from my protein shakes. I also eat alot of tuna and chicken mostly. Take a look at my diary and see what you think.

Your diarys dont look to bad but you really need to eat more often and rid yourself of all processed foods like mayo crackers. Also as I said before you have to pick either you are going to build muscle and if you are you really need to have 1 gram of protien per pound of body weight thats where your whey protien comes in, but if you are trying to lose weight and tone hit the gym do high reps lower weight and cardio also eat more times a day and healthy fruits veggies lean protiens.
  • saral89
    Options

Your diarys dont look to bad but you really need to eat more often and rid yourself of all processed foods like mayo crackers. Also as I said before you have to pick either you are going to build muscle and if you are you really need to have 1 gram of protien per pound of body weight thats where your whey protien comes in, but if you are trying to lose weight and tone hit the gym do high reps lower weight and cardio also eat more times a day and healthy fruits veggies lean protiens.

Awesome, thanks for your feedback. :) ... I'll do that.