Jawbone Up - Please Someone Help Me

Options
Roadchickie
Roadchickie Posts: 12 Member
edited March 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
I tried searching through all of the Jawbone Up threads, but there are so many and I couldn't find my exact problem in so many words. Apologies to add yet another thread. :(

But someone please explain to me how my Jawbone Up shows me having burned 569 Active Burn calories today (I'm over my goal of 10K steps and stand to get around 13K by EOD), yet MFP has only given me 200 measly extra calories for weight lifting for 40 minutes this morning (which I added manually because the Jawbone UP did not record it; it was a tough workout too with lots of sweat and effort). I'm starving at present, which is p*ssing me off, because how does that make any sense at all?

Same thing happened this past weekend when I hiked uphill for 2 hours vigorously. Then, it was Jawbone Up that showed me at 780 calories, whereas MFP gave me over 1,100 extra calories when I entered the hiking time manually (and I didn't even put the full 120 minutes!).

What is going on? I really would just like to receive the extra calories fair and square (so that I can actually not stick to 1,200 calories on days that I exercise vigorously.) Too few calories could potentially stall my weight loss efforts in the long run if I'm eating too little. And thus far, Jawbone UP and MFP don't seem to ever agree.

So what gives? And why is the "adjustment" so ridiculously off track?

Anyone? Pretty please?

(thank you in advance!)

M.E.

Replies

• longhorns2014
    longhorns2014 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I tried searching through all of the Jawbone Up threads, but there are so many and I couldn't find my exact problem in so many words. Apologies to add yet another thread. :(

But someone please explain to me how my Jawbone Up shows me having burned 569 Active Burn calories today (I'm over my goal of 10K steps and stand to get around 13K by EOD), yet MFP has only given me 200 measly extra calories for weight lifting for 40 minutes this morning (which I added manually because the Jawbone UP did not record it; it was a tough workout too with lots of sweat and effort). I'm starving at present, which is p*ssing me off, because how does that make any sense at all?

Same thing happened this past weekend when I hiked uphill for 2 hours vigorously. Then, it was Jawbone Up that showed me at 780 calories, whereas MFP gave me over 1,100 extra calories when I entered the hiking time manually (and I didn't even put the full 120 minutes!).

What is going on? I really would just like to receive the extra calories fair and square (so that I can actually not stick to 1,200 calories on days that I exercise vigorously.) Too few calories could potentially stall my weight loss efforts in the long run if I'm eating too little. And thus far, Jawbone UP and MFP don't seem to ever agree.

Anyone? Pretty please?

(thank you in advance!)

M.E.

Anyone? Pretty please?

(thank you in advance!)

M.E.

• longhorns2014
    longhorns2014 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Try to wear your Jawbone Up on your non dominate side. I've always used a heartrate monitor if I wanted to get a good read on my calories burned during my workouts. Hope that helps.
  • Roadchickie
    Roadchickie Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thank you longhorns2014. Yes, I'm considering going back to my Polar (need to replace the battery). But I still feel as though MFP should work better with Jawbone (or v/v). By the way, I wear the band on my left wrist, which is my non-dominate side.
  • kbsangel1986
    kbsangel1986 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I have a jawbone up that i wear on my non dominate hand as well. I dont log extra exercise activity in either jawbone or mfp, but I have noticed mfp gives piddly burns for the strength activities and overestimates cardio. Maybe pick a halfway number between the two aps? I personally dont eat back any of my exercise cals back (hence the reason i don't log it), so i haven't paid really close attention to the burns i earn