Grocery timeeee!

Options
Jellyphant
Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
What kinds of foods do you guys usually aim for when grocery shopping? In my mind, I had it panned out to think that crackers and cheese was the ideal snack ( I work long hours and need snacks between breakfast and my 2:30pm lunch :/ ) when watching cals, but then I was told I was actually in the wrong. :(

So. As of now, I'm getting sirloin, chicken breast, baby spinach, eggs, bread, extra virgin olive oil, bottled water and koolaid! (Anything without fake sugar; Aspartame, stevia, truvia, diet anything)

Please add anything that you think I could use so I don't mess up again!

Replies

• Jami22
    Jami22 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Fruit.
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    I love snacking on tomatoes, especially the small ones :)
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Fresh fruits and veggies! I also get frozen stuff if I'm stocking up so it doesn't go bad. I like to puree veggies and put them in other things, like spaghetti sauce and muffins.

I also like having yogurt on hand. It can satisfy a sweet craving without the naughtiness of candy!
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    I go to allrecipes.com and do a search for low calorie and find alot of awesome recipes to fix for my family. I currently have pork chop (one recipe is 84 calories a chop I hope its right lol), canned tuna (you can make tuna patties from the website, shrimp which is low in calories. I often do the thin bagels with spray butter on it. Just to name a couple
  • Melis25Fit
    Melis25Fit Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    100 calorie packs. The cookies n cream cookies by nabisco and the mr salty yogurt covered pretzels are awesome.

Also Chobani pineapple greek yogurt.

Almond butter n baby carrots! Nummers!
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    NOT bottled water, hurts the environment and is a waste of money. Buy yourself a re-usable bottle. There is a huge thread debating the best from $10-25. Mine is a Sigg, $25 but you don't have to go that high.

Granny smith apples are my fav. Portable, cheap, delicious and a great way to fill up your tummy when the hunger pains start.... around now actually ;)
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Yogurt, humus, whole wheat crackers, Low fat popcorn, veggies and dip, jello, frozen grapes, low fat cheese. Go to the store and just look around. Read the lables and make good choices. watch portions and stay within goals.
  • jennifance
    jennifance Posts: 3
    Options
    Get almonds or a trail mix, just don't go overboard. broccoli with a little bit of lite ranch? baby carrots? you can never go wrong with veggies.
  • bellinachuchina
    bellinachuchina Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Here is a sample grocery list containing foods that make life so much easier! ("f.f." is short for "Fat Free")

1. Meats-

* lean red meat
    * boneless skinless chicken breast cutlets
    * salmon
    * shrimp
    * 98% f.f. turkey meat/ham (for sandwiches)
    * imitation f.f. crab
    * mussels
    * clams
    * scallops
    * eggs

2. Veggies-
    (mostly fresh, some frozen)

* asparagus
    * avocados
    * tomatoes
    * broccoli
    * bok choy
    * baby bella mushrooms
    * Chinese cabbage
    * scallions
    * romaine lettuce
    * baby spinach
    * radicchio
    * arugula
    * bean sprouts
    * garbanzo beans
    * snow peas
    * bamboo shoots
    * water chestnuts
    * cucumbers
    * celery
    * basil
    * garlic
    * fennel
    * zucchini
    * yellow squash
    * green & red bell pepper
    * peas
    * green beans
    * carrots
    * Italian parsley
    * rapini
    * mustard greens

3. Fruits-
    (fresh & frozen)

* apples
    * oranges
    * kiwi
    * strawberries
    * blueberries
    * grapes
    * bananas
    * lemon
    * lime
    * honeydew melon
    * watermelon
    * pomegranate
    * grapefruit
    * pineapple
    * pears
    * raspberries
    * apricots

4. Cheeses-

* Laughing Cow Light cheese wedges
    * f.f. mozzarella
    * f.f. american
    * f.f. swiss
    * f.f. pepperjack
    * f.f. ricotta
    * f.f./reduced fat feta
    * f.f./reduced fat parmesan cheese
    * f.f. cream cheese
    * f.f. sour cream

5. Breads-

* nature's own light wheat bread
    * Healthy Life 35 cal/slice bread
    * whole wheat pitas
    * wheat tortillas
    * Reduced Fat Wheat Thins
    * wheat bread crumbs/ crushed cornflakes
    * brown rice
    * rice paper
    * chow mein noodles
    * whole wheat pasta
    * wheat bagels
    * Quaker low-sugar instant oatmeal packs
    * Whole Wheat English Muffins

6. Condiments-

* Kraft f.f. mayo
    * f.f. mustard
    * low sodium ketchup
    * low sodium soy sauce/ stir fry sauce
    * sea salt/ no sodium salt
    * black pepper
    * paprika
    * McCormick Montreal steak seasoning
    * f.f. salad dressing
    * f.f. butter (I Can't Believe it's not Butter)
    * Worcestershire sauce
    * Extra virgin olive oil
    * f.f. oil cooking spray
    * f.f. strawberry preserves
    * f.f. coffee creamer
    * f.f. whipped topping
    *Smucker's Natural Creamy PB

7. Snacks-

* f.f./ sugar-free pudding
    * f.f. jello
    * f.f. yogurt (FAGE 0%)
    * f.f. popcorn
    * f.f. fruit bars
    * f.f. fudgsicles
    * 100 calorie packs (Chips Ahoy, Reese's, etc.)
    * Coco Pop Multigrain rice cakes
    * trail mix

8. Drinks-

* f.f. milk
    * Light Minute Maid lemonade
    * Diet V8 Splash Berry Blend
    * Diet Pepsi Max (Zero everything)
    * Cafe Bustelo instant espresso
    * Coffee
    * f.f. energy drinks
    * green tea

As you can see, I cut the fat & sugar anywhere I can, this way I have room to enjoy natural healthy fats from PB, oils, nuts, & avocados.
  • JanerZzz
    JanerZzz Posts: 276
    Options
    here is my list, its usually about the same each week
    eggs
    cherry tomatoes
    cucumbers
    salad mixes
    green beans
    asparagus
    mushrooms
    kiwi
    almond milk
    oj
    pork lean tenderloin
    chicken
    various seafood - shrimp, scallops, salmon, swordfish, seabass etc etc etc LOVE SEAFOOD!
    water
    seltzer
    chobani
    veggie burgers
    flat out wraps
    jalapenos, tomatoes, pepper, cilantro to make salsa
    dried beans
    bananas
    berries
    clementines

I spend most of my time in the produce section :)
  • Hootsmamma
    Hootsmamma Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    bump.
  • osucristina
    osucristina Posts: 197
    Options
    Be careful if buying fat free. Usually they take the fat out and add all kinds of chemicals. I prefer to eat full fat cheese, but eat less of it. Plus.. who doesn't love cheese?!

Plan greek yogurt is a staple, you can make all kinds of dips and sauces with it.
    Lots of fresh fruits and veggies- you can never eat too much.
    Turkey pepperoni to help with pizza cravings.
    WW naan is a great alternative to dinner rolls. It's soooo good grilled.
    Tilapia and flounder, canned tuna is a great snack. I mix mine with some lemon pepper and eat it just like that!
    Lemons and limes. Everything tastes better with a little lemon or lime juice lol
  • 1crazymom
    1crazymom Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Be careful if buying fat free. Usually they take the fat out and add all kinds of chemicals. I prefer to eat full fat cheese, but eat less of it. Plus.. who doesn't love cheese?!

Plan greek yogurt is a staple, you can make all kinds of dips and sauces with it.
    Tilapia and flounder, canned tuna is a great snack. I mix mine with some lemon pepper and eat it just like that!
    Lemons and limes. Everything tastes better with a little lemon or lime juice lol
    What's WW nann? I love dinner rolls and would love a healthier version so I can actually eat them!
  • Ezada
    Ezada Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I love to get

Grapes
    Carrots
    Yogurt (whatever is on sale and low cal lol)
    Apples
    Special K Granola Bars
    Cherry tomatoes
    Green Bell Peppers (I slice them long and eat them raw)
    Fresh green beans, not cooked just cleaned, they are delish raw
    Those little round cheese wheels babyel or something, I eat them spread over cucumbers

Hope that helps!
  • bellinachuchina
    bellinachuchina Posts: 498 Member
    Options

People are so funny about fat free, but I have no medical problems to date, and have been practicing this lifestyle for over 2 years. Was this in a medical journal you read somewhere?... My Dr. seems to agree with my way of cutting out the fat where you can and then have wiggle room to eat healthy nutrient dense fats.

Trust me, I have actual proven experience with this, and can tell you that reducing the unnecessary fat in my diet greatly contributed to my 110lbs. lost :flowerforyou:
  • osucristina
    osucristina Posts: 197
    Options
    ww Naan is an indian flat bread. You just stick on a skillet and grill it up.. it's so good and you can usually find it in the specialty breads section. I know for sure they sell it at Super Target!

as to the "fat-free", I suppose that's a matter of personal opinion and whole other debate in and of itself. Congrats on your weight loss.
  • Jellyphant
    Options
    ww Naan is an indian flat bread. You just stick on a skillet and grill it up.. it's so good and you can usually find it in the specialty breads section. I know for sure they sell it at Super Target!

as to the "fat-free", I suppose that's a matter of personal opinion and whole other debate in and of itself. Congrats on your weight loss.
    Fat free things fly by okay with me, it's just the sugar free things that I don't believe in.
    I'm going to try this naan bread, which is PERFECT because I happen to shop at Super Target! woooottt.
    Thanks for all the awesome suggestions, guys! I got my grocery list ready to go~
  • Rowann
    Rowann Posts: 86
    Options
    Just be careful which naan bread you go for... they're all lovely, but some are quite high calorie. As ever in this game, check the labels carefully... :)
  • Jellyphant
    Options
    Just be careful which naan bread you go for... they're all lovely, but some are quite high calorie. As ever in this game, check the labels carefully... :)
    Will do! :)
  • Virgo09
    Virgo09 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    bump