Starving and out of Calories

Options
My calorie count is empty but my stomach burns in hunger.
My sister suffered with anorexia so I do not believe in starving yourself to lose weight.
What should I do?

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    1) eat something

2) review my calories for the day and week, look at where I could have made different, lower calorie choices with more filling food - learn from it

3) look at my calories over the week and see if more food fits into my overall defecit across the week - if I have spare calories, not worry too much

4) move more to earn more calories to eat
  • Sued0nim
    edited March 2015
    Options
    ISSUE!!!!

I've just looked at your diary and your calories are far too low to begin with

You need to re-set your settings through the web version of the site - there's an issue on the app

What is your starting weight, height, goal weight loss per week, general activity level without exercise - it looks like you want to lose 14lbs set your weight loss target to 0.5lb per week

Also your diary is devoid of any vegetables - fix that
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    1) eat something

2) review my calories for the day and week, look at where I could have made different, lower calorie choices with more filling food - learn from it

3) look at my calories over the week and see if more food fits into my overall defecit across the week - if I have spare calories, not worry too much

^This.

Also, how tall are you Mira? Looking at your diary your calories seem on the low side (apparently MFP has been setting some odd goals for people of late), at a minimum it should be 1200, and that's for sedentary. Your macros seem out of whack too - really low on carbs and super high on protein.

But first thing's first, go eat!!
  • mirahudson11
    Options
    Oh my goodness thank you.
    My starting weight is 132 im 5'4
    Goal is 117 I want to lose at least a pound to .5 a week.
    I usually eat extremely healthy but I've been slipping up lately.
    I'll go do that now.
  • Sued0nim
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Once your calories are set to a reasonable level you should consider whether it is worth 'spending' 1/6th of your calorie budget on a coffee from starbucks and logging it as a meal or the same proportion on a handful of chocolate buttons

it might be .. I'm not judging but for 200 calories you could have a slice of toast with avocado, cottage cheese and tomato or carrots, peppers and hummus or a huge bowl of vegetables or vegetable stew etc which would be filling and satisfying
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    1) eat something

what she said :) great advice!

I was in the same position on my first week, on the second week I fit my calories but ate unhealthy food (that's the week I learned a pot of chinese noodles and broth is the same number of calories as a microwave burger!)
    Now I am trying to fit my macros (esp fat and protein) and I'm feeling great. I also connected by fitbit to mfp so I get extra calories for all the exercise I do.

Good luck!
  • mirahudson11
    Options
    Thanks!
    How do I reset my nutrition goals? They are all messed up!
  • cassie858
    cassie858 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Your calories are definitely too low, and I would take a look at your food choices. You need more veg and protein. (your macros are wrong but you aren't actually following them anyway) I usually try to follow 35 % carb / 35 % protein / 30 % fat
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    Thanks!
    How do I reset my nutrition goals? They are all messed up!

Go to 'goals' on your homepage. Just choose the option for MFP to calculate them for you, save and it should hopefully sort itself out. You can always change them around a bit later if you want to, but that's a good starting place.
  • mirahudson11
    Options
    Alright,
    So I need to start following the nutrition and I'll stay fuller longer?
    How do I look at other peoples nutrition and calorie count?
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    Alright,
    So I need to start following the nutrition and I'll stay fuller longer?
    How do I look at other peoples nutrition and calorie count?

The extra calories will go a long way to helping you feel less hungry, obviously, but for example fat is really important to feeling satiated (and that's one of the many reasons low fat diets are b/s). Different things work for different people, but generally fat and protein with every meal helps with feeling full for longer.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    your nutrition values can go by the MFP settings or by what you prefer .. everybody has their own methods that works for them. I think you should get to grips with appropriate calories and logging well for a few weeks before worrying about the macros

Personally I am rather fond of carbs so I have mine set to 50% and my protein and fats to 25% each ... but the only thing I watch is my protein and I am for 0.8 - 1g protein per lb of LBM (which for me is around 100g per day)
  • mirahudson11
    Options
    Yeah I need to start filling up my diary with nutritious foods and enough calories, then I'll pay attention to macros. I just wanted to adjust them correctly.